Fonds - Charles W.H. Tessier fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charles W.H. Tessier fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Previously known as Charles W.H. Tessier letterbooks
  • Source of title proper: Title based on creator of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1893-1909 (Creation)
    Creator
    Tessier, Charles W.T. (William Hutchings)

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(fl.1894-1909)

Biographical history

Charles W.H. Tessier (fl. 1894-1909), merchant, operated a fish export business under his own name in St. John's, Newfoundland. The company had formerly been known as P. & L. Tessier, founded in 1847 by Peter and Lewis Tessier. Charles Tessier was a nephew of Lewis Tessier, identified in his will (1884) as a potential heir.

Initially the Tessier business had been modest, but after 1850 the firm became heavily involved in the salt cod trade. By the 1870s P. & L. Tessier had become one of the largest supply and export firms in Newfoundland. In 1871 and 1873 respectively, the Tessiers exported 106,000 and 76,980 quintals of fish from St. John's. The firm continued for some years after Peter Tessier's death, but folded in 1893.

Following the bank crash of 1894, Charles William Hutchings Tessier commenced his own business. By 1936 the business was operating out of an office on Water Street as commission merchants and insurance agents.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of two letterbooks, 1893-1909, which contain outgoing correspondence, mostly orders and payments, for Tessier's fish exporting business.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Users should be aware that copyright rules and regulations may apply to some parts of this fonds.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 3, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres