Archief - Charles W.H. Tessier fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Charles W.H. Tessier fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Textual record

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

  • Variations in title: Previously known as Charles W.H. Tessier letterbooks
  • Source of title proper: Title based on creator of the fonds

Beschrijvingsniveau

Archief

referentie code

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1893-1909 (Vervaardig)
    Archiefvormer
    Tessier, Charles W.T. (William Hutchings)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

10 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

(fl.1894-1909)

Biografie

Charles W.H. Tessier (fl. 1894-1909), merchant, operated a fish export business under his own name in St. John's, Newfoundland. The company had formerly been known as P. & L. Tessier, founded in 1847 by Peter and Lewis Tessier. Charles Tessier was a nephew of Lewis Tessier, identified in his will (1884) as a potential heir.

Initially the Tessier business had been modest, but after 1850 the firm became heavily involved in the salt cod trade. By the 1870s P. & L. Tessier had become one of the largest supply and export firms in Newfoundland. In 1871 and 1873 respectively, the Tessiers exported 106,000 and 76,980 quintals of fish from St. John's. The firm continued for some years after Peter Tessier's death, but folded in 1893.

Following the bank crash of 1894, Charles William Hutchings Tessier commenced his own business. By 1936 the business was operating out of an office on Water Street as commission merchants and insurance agents.

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

Fonds consists of two letterbooks, 1893-1909, which contain outgoing correspondence, mostly orders and payments, for Tessier's fish exporting business.

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

  • Engels

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Users should be aware that copyright rules and regulations may apply to some parts of this fonds.

Toegangen

Associated materials

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies

Status

Klad

Niveau van detaillering

Gedeeltelijk

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Created - May 3, 2013

Taal van de beschrijving

  • Engels

Schrift van de beschrijving

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres