Showing 342 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Labrador Craft Producers Association (LCPA)

  • Corporate body

The Labrador Craft Producers Association (LCPA) was founded in 1975. Its main objectives were to produce, promote and market crafts of the Labrador people. The organization ceased operation in 1995 due to lack of funding.

German Weather Station

  • Corporate body

A german weather station was secretly established at MArtin Bay, 32 k south of Cape Chidley, Labrador in the Fall of 1943. The consturcted station was transported across the Atlantic ocean in a submarine, U-537, commanded by Lieutenant Commander Peter Schrew. The German station was labelled 'Candian Weather Service' in an attempt to disguise itand consisted of a 150 watt transmitter an antenna a weather vane and an anemometer for mesuring wind volicity . The stations automatically issued a coded weather report for every two minuted every three hours and functioned for about three months , after which time batteries ran down due to the harsh winter weather

Moravian Bethleham

  • Corporate body

The Moravian Bethlehem collection is housed at the Moravian Archives in Bethlehem, Pennslyvania, U.S.A.

Candian Marconi Company

  • Corporate body

Originally founded as The Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company of Canada in 1902, the company became known as Canadian Marconi Company in 1925, then changed to BAE Systems Canada Inc. in 2000 and in April of 2001 it became CMC Electronics Inc.
Marconi, Guglielmo, for whom the Canadian Marconi Company was named, (1874-1937) was born in Bologna, Italy, to Giuseppe and Annie (Jameson) Marconi. He married Beatrice O'Brien and later Cristina Bezzi-Scali. Marconi was awarded the Nobel Prize for physics in 1909 as a result of experiments in wireless telegraphy begun in the 1890s and culminating in 1901 with the reception of the first transatlantic transmission at Signal Hill, St. John's. Marconi first decided to attempt two-way wireless communication across the Atlantic from Poldhu, Cornwall to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. When the Poldhu antenna became damaged and the Cape Cod antenna was destroyed in a storm, Marconi changed his North American location to St. John's because of its closeness to the weakened Poldhu transmitter. On December 9,1901 Marconi began setting up a receiving station in an old military barracks on Signal Hill. On December 14, Marconi received the first transatlantic signal, the letter "S"(Morse code: ...) tapped out at his 25,000 Watt English station, a distance of 1,800 miles. Then, on January 18, 1903, he transmitted a 48-word message from Cape Cod to England, and promptly received a reply. It was the first two-way transoceanic communication, and the first wireless telegram between America and Europe, a distance of some 3,000 miles. Marconi's system was soon adopted by the British and Italian vies for ship-to-shore communications, and by 1907 had been so much improved that transatlantic wireless telegraph service was established for public use. Marconi accepted a Canadian government grant to build the transatlantic terminal at Glace Bay, Nova Scotia. Another station was built at Clifton, Ireland, and in October 1907 commercial transatlantic communication was begun. In 1905 Newfoundland received a wireless station installed by Marconi himself at Cape Race, then under Canadian jurisdiction. Marconi continued perfecting his inventions and developing new wireless technology such as the short-wave transmitter/receiver and navigational direction finding equipment, as well as doing preliminary work on radar. Marconi died in Italy on July 20, 1937.

Memorial University of Newfounland Folklore and Language Archive

  • Corporate body

Memorial University of Newfoundland Folklore and Language Archive is situated in the Education Building at MUN in St. Johns Newfoundland. It contains a highly reputable Department of Folklore in Which there are collection in many forms including textual records, sound recordings, photographs and material culture of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Newfoundland Ranger Force, Battle Harbour Station

  • Corporate body

The Newfoundland Ranger Force, modelled after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, was formed in 1934 following recommendations from the Brian Dunfield, Deputy Minister of Justice. This new organization would operate from detachments in remote areas while the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary would continue as the regualar police force in the larger towns of the Avalon and Bonivista peninsulas.
As its inception of The Newfoundland Ranger Force was placed under the Department of Natural Resources because the Rangers were to act as game wardens, and also because Justice was a relatively miner portfolio in 1935. The First Chief Ranger was Major Leonard T. Stick, an officer of the Newfoundland Regiment and a veteran of the Battles of Beaumont Hamel and Gallipoli.
The Rangers never numbered more than 72 men at any one time. Recruits were to have a minumum education of Grade XI, making the force somewhat exclusive for Newfoundlanders in the mid 1930s. Trainees were to be in top physical condition, not less than 5'9" in height or more than 189 pounds, single and between the ages of 21 and 28.
Rangers were to be responsible for carrying out the policies of no fewer than six government departments. The department of finance required that they collect custom duties and other fees and act as work commissioners. For the Department of Natural Resources they were responsible for the inspection of the logging camps, the enforcement of game laws, the issuing of licences and organizing and directing the fighting of forest fires. Rangers also acted for
Public Health and Welfare by issuing relief payments, arranging medical treatment and hospitalization when necessary and escorting mental patients to Hospital in St. John's. They enforced criminal law, investigated suspicious deaths and fires in some areas acted as deputy sheriffs for the Department of Justice. For home affairs and Education they acted as truant officers and organized adult education programs. For the Department of Public Utilities, Rangers supervised the maintenence and construction of public roads, wharves and break waters. The Force was effectively a liaison between outports residents and the government which, during Commision Government, acted without political accountability.
The first 30 recruits were sent to Detachments across the Island from Twillingate to Bonne Bay, and Labrador from Hebron to Cartwright. They were given rations for their stay and those going to Labrador were given buillding materials to construct their detachment quarters. Though the first recruits did not finish training until the fall of 1935, by spring of 1936 only the Hebron detachment was still under construction. Transportation of each detachment was on foot, by dog sled or in small boats.
The Rangers were received with mixed feelings into communities which had never been policed and where game and liquor laws were unpopular. The Rangers, who for the most part, had no previous experience in the north, were plagued by loneliness and cultural differences and this presented some problems. The criminal offences that the Rangers dealt with were minor, usually involving liquor and game infractions, common assult and petty theft. As peacekeepers, The Rangers tried to settle problems short of criminal prosecution.
With the outbreak of World War II, some Rangers Joined the Armed forces overseas and shortly after that an order was passed declaring the Rangers and Essential service. The War brought many new duties to the Force including assisting magistries in recruiting others for military service, returned deserters, and enforcing rationing and blackout orders. They also watched for enemy submarines and aircraft in coastal settlements. By 1945, there were nine detachments of the Rangers in Labrador.
Following confederation, the Province decided to dispense with the Ranger Force. They officially disbanded on July 31, 1950 and some of the Rangers joined the RCMP. Former members have helped to preserve the history of the organization through the Newfoundland Ranger Force Association, which was formed in 1968.

Labrador Inuit Association

  • Corporate body

The Labrador Iniut Association was formed in the 1970's and it's main objectives are to promote Inuit Asperations and Involvement through the Democratic system with regard to all matters affecting Inuit People of Labrador, and to promote and preserve Inuit Culture and Language, and to Develop Dignity and Pride in Inuit Heritage amongst Inuit people of Labrador.

Labrador Community and Cultural Association

  • Corporate body

The Labrador Community and Cultural Association was a non profit organization aware of the need to provide training and opportunities for the citizens of Labrador. They to organized a program that would provide, encourage and assist in vocational development of basic trades, arts, crafts, music, drama, physical culture and all other educational, recreational and cultural activities in Labrador.

Results 1 to 10 of 342