- Corporate body
The Corner Brook Co-operative Society store was established in Townsite in 1937. It closed in 2006.
The Corner Brook Co-operative Society store was established in Townsite in 1937. It closed in 2006.
The architectural inventory of Corner Brook was funded by and completed by the Corner Brook Museum and Archives in 2004.
The CBMA officially opened on December of 1997 in the former Corner Brook Public Building. This building was erected during 1925-1926 and housed the Post Office, Telegraph Office, Customs Office and the Law Courts. In 1996 Newfoundland Telephone, the owners at that time donated the building to the City of Corner Brook for usage as a museum. The Corner Brook Museum & Archives Society was formed to fulfill this commitment and in 1997 the City signed an agreement with the CBMAS granting them use of the building to develop a community museum and archive.
In 2009 the City began preparations for the construction of the New City Hall. In October of 2009 the CBMA prepared to close down operations and place over a thousand artifacts into storage within the Museum. The CBMA moved its offices and archives to the another City owned building at Brook Street. After the opening of the New City Hall in the summer of 2011 the CBMA looked again to reoccupy the space that had been its home since 1997. The Museum officially reopened in July of 2012.
The Corner Brook Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. In 1970, All Saints church became its own parish, first called Corner Brook East, and then renamed All Saints. The two parishes amalgamated in the early 2000s. The Corner Brook Parish also included what is now the Pasadena/Cormack Parish, from 1964-197?.
St. John the Evangelist Cathedral
St. Michael and All Angels (Country Road)
St. Mary the Virgin
St. David of Wales (Pasadena)
St. George (Cormack)
The centre of Corpus Christi Parish is the community of Northern Bay on the north shore of Conception Bay, Newfoundland. The parish was established in 1838, predating the Diocese of Harbour Grace by eighteen years. Currently Corpus Christi Parish has missions in Kingston (Saint Joseph's Church) and in Western Bay (Holy Rosary Church).
A church and school were constructed in the 1840s under the direction of Reverend Bernard Duffy, who served the parish for 33 years. In the 1890s a new two-room school was constructed under the supervision of Reverend John Roe to accommodate the growing number of children in Northern Bay. Reverend John Lynch (1906-1915) started the construction of a new church which was destroyed by fire shortly after its completion in 1924. Lynch's successor, Reverend Edward O'Brien, built a modern two-room school, a new presbytery and other buildings including a new hall which served as a church for a number of years.
Pastors that have served Corpus Christi Parish since the tenure of Reverend Bernard Duffy include: Joseph Donnelly (1871-1874); James Cummins (1874-1875); Michael Hanley (1875-1891); John Roe (1891-1906); Michael Nowlan (1906); John Lynch (1906-1915); Edward O'Brien (1915-1970); Edward Hearn (1970-1973); Gregory Pumphrey (1973-1978); David Heale (1978-1981); Kevin Barker (1981-1984); William Matthews (1984-1991); Brian Colbert (1991-1994); Francis Alyward (1994-1998); Michael Ryan (1998-).
Kilbride Mission, the predecessor body to Corpus Christi Parish, was founded circa 1863 by Bishop John T. Mullock. A stone church, dedicated to St. Bride, was built in what is now Kilbride Cemetery on Bay Bulls Road; Bishop Mullock celebrated the first mass in the new church on 1 February 1863. St. Bride's was destroyed by fire in 1892; however, mass continued to be celebrated in a school building located near the Kilbride Cemetery. The Kilbride Mission was administered from the Cathedral Parish between 1863 and 1872 and later from St. Patrick's Parish between 1872 and 1917. In 1917, Archbishop Roche elevated Corpus Christi to the status of an independent parish.
Corpus Christi initially was without a church of its own. The Parish made a financial contribution towards the expenses of the Chapel at Littledale, part of the Sisters of Mercy St. Bride's Convent complex, and used the facility as a parish church until the construction of the present-day structure located at 260 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John's (dedicated on 19 August 1923 to Corpus Christi).
Under the denominational education system, Corpus Christi Parish maintained close connections with the Catholic schools operating within its boundaries. These included St. Joseph's Elementary School, St. Augustine's Elementary School, and St. Bride's Academy. In 1975, St. Joseph's was closed and replaced by Beaconsfield Elementary.
Societies and associations active within the parish have included the Holy Name Society, the Ladies' Association (formerly St. Anne's Society), the Altar Guild, the Legion of Mary, the St. Vincent de Paul Society, the Catholic Women's League, and the Knights of Columbus (this list is not exhaustive).
When Corpus Christi Church was dedicated in 1917, it was situated in Kilbride, an unincorporated agricultural and residential community near St. John's. Today, Kilbride forms part of the City of St. John's and the parish boundaries have been altered several times in response to changing demographic trends in the city. On 1 January 1986, Archbishop Alphonsus L. Penney issued a decree of dismemberment, dividing Corpus Christi to create the new Parish of St. Matthew's in the Cowan Heights area. The boundaries of Corpus Christi also have been altered to assist in maintaining the viability of St. Patrick's Parish.
Pastors who have served Corpus Christi Parish since its establishment include: James Coady (1917-1920); John J. Rawlins (1920-1957); John W. McGettigan (1957-1969); Dermot O'Keefe (1969-1985); Francis Slattery (1985-1989); Kevin Molloy (1989-2000); Wayne Dohey (2000-2001); and Kenneth Walsh (2001- ).
The Corpus Christi Parish Pastoral Council, comprised of elected members and representatives of parish societies and associations, assists the pastor in making decisions affecting the life of the parish and, therefore, is at the centre of parish operations.
The Court of Revision, now known as the Assessment Review Court, consists of one or more persons appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council to hear appeals from taxpayers regarding the appraised tax level of their property. When an assessed value of a property increases, the affected parties are given written notice of the change, and owners have the right to appeal any valuation in a Court of Revision. This Court may increase, reduce or confirm any appraisement. The members of the Court of Revision hold office for a period of one year and are paid remuneration at a rate determined by City Council. Any party who feels aggrieved by the decision of the Court of Revision may subsequently appeal to the Trial Division. The City Clerk or designate acts as Clerk of the Court.
The Cow Head Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. From 1964-1974, it included what is now the Port Saunders Parish. In 198?, the parish split and some churches were included in the new Daniel's Harbour Parish.
St. Mary the Virgin (Cow Head)
St. Peter/St. Francis (Parson's Pond)
St. Alban (Sally's Cove)
St. Paul (St. Paul's Inlet)
St. Joseph (Portland Creek)
Holy Cross (Daniel's Harbour)
St. Aidan (Bellburns)
St. Peter (Green Point)
St. Peter (River of Ponds)
Holy Innocents (Hawke's Bay)
St. John the Divine (Port Saunders)
The exact date of the establishment of the Cubs Baseball Club, a St. John's men's team, is not currently known. However, it was one of the four original teams in the St. John's Baseball League, established in 1913. The team had considerable success in the early years of the League, winning several of the "Garden Party" series, under the auspices of Mount Cashel Orphanage. The St. John's Baseball League became inactive following the 1922 summer season.
The Cubs renewed their membership in the St. John's Baseball League when it was reestablished in 1927, but they do not appear to have been as successful. By 1934 the League was recommending that the Cubs consider amalgamation with the team fielded by the Methodist Guards Amateur Athletic Association. The collapse of the League itself in that year may have made this move unnecessary.
The Deer Lake Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. It included what is now the Pasadena/Cormack Parish from 1957 until 199?. In 1964, Hampden, which is now a part of the While Bay Parish, was also included.
St. Michael & All Angels (Deer Lake)
St. David (Pasadena)
St. George (Cormack)
The Office of the City Clerk was established with the passing of the St. John's Municipal Act in 1921. It replaced the position of Secretary and Secretary-Treasurer, becoming the major administrative body of the Municipal Council. Consequently, this office was charged with a wide range of municipal issues including minute keeping for all meetings and committees of Council, bookkeeping, taxation collection, property appraisal and assessment, licensing and complaints. This office was also responsible for compiling voters' lists for general municipal elections.
As the city developed and its work became more diversified, some of the duties traditionally overseen by the City Clerk were filtered out to other divisions. In 1952, The City of St. John's Act made provision for two new lateral departments positions, that of City Comptroller and Financial Supervisor. However, by 1970, the City Clerk’s Department still oversaw the Recreation Director, Real Estate Officer, Parking Supervisor, Taxi Inspector, Printing Supervisor, Stores Supervisor, Dog Impounder and steno pool. The Data Processing Division and the Director of Personnel and Labour were also administered by this Department by the mid-1970s. Later additions included the Bowring Park Superintendent, NIP East and West offices, and a building superintendent. By the 1980s, the areas overseen by the City Clerk’s department were many and varied, and many officials began to question the effectiveness and efficiency of this administrative structure.
During the early 1990s, the municipal administrative structure underwent a period of intensive examination and scrutiny both by internal and external reviewers. These processes eventually led to some important structural and managerial changes. These changes were precipitated largely by the Doane Raymond Report, an external review of the administrative system at City Hall released in November of 1992. Two years later, in November of 1994, the problems were examined again by an internal committee consisting of Councillors Keith Coombs, Marie White, John Dinn and Shawn Skinner. Both documents cited significant problems with the structure, managerial and communication styles at City Hall. Particularly, the committee cited a longstanding lack of communication between both managers and departments, which ultimately led to confusion of mandates, significant overlapping of work duties, and both management and departments becoming “…protective of their turf,” as the 1994 report stated. In sum, these reviews cited how the municipal administrative structure had failed to modernize at the same pace that city services and responsibilities had increased over the past 100 years. Nowhere was this more evident, it was argued, than in the multitude of tasks overseen by the City Clerk's Department.
To remedy this problem, the internal Committee recommended that each department meet with management on a monthly basis, so as to firmly and regularly communicate the short and long term goals of each department and its respective members. The committee also recommended that all departmental managers make every effort to represent their departments in Standing Committee meetings to ensure departments remain aware of issues in other departments. Another significant recommendation by the committee was that the city management structure be altered to allow for the establishment of a Chief Commissioner and two Associate Commissioners. These added upper-management positions, it was argued, could work in consultation with the City Clerk and the City of St. John's Archives Guide to the Holdings City Manager to allot roles and responsibilities in a more efficient manner. This concern was also addressed in the Doane Raymond Report, which stated that the roles of some departments were not clearly defined, and that responsibility was not evenly apportioned among senior management.
As of 1993 the Building Superintendent went with the Department of Building and Property Management, as well as the divisions of Animal Control and Parking and Traffic. Animal Control [Humane Services] was
transferred to Public Works and Parks effective May 1999. Purchasing Agent and Stores Superintendent went first to Public Works but is now with Finance. City Clerk was no longer responsible for financial duties such as bookkeeping, accounts receivable and payable and budgeting activities. However, matters relating to assessments, elections, minute-keeping, licensing and complaints remained under their jurisdiction.
The Data Processing Department became Computer Services and is now called Information Services. It moved to Finance in 1979, then back to City Clerk and is now with the Department of Corporate and Information Services. Property Assessment, Internal Mail and Central Publishing are also with Corporate and Information Services as of 1995. The Department of Administrative Services and City Clerk is now responsible for Minute-Keeping, Elections and Voter's Lists, Archives and Records Management Division and the distribution and updating of the Corporation and Operational Policy Manual. The City Clerk’s department is now known as the Director of Corporate Services and City Clerk Department.
Former City Clerks: P.W Kelly, Secretary-Treasurer 1895-1899; M.K. Greene, Secretary-Treasurer 1899-1902; I.J Slattery, Secretary-Treasurer 1902-1920; J.J. Mahoney, City Clerk 1920-1952; E.B Foran, City Clerk 1952-1970; R.J. Greene, City Clerk 1970-1990; Damian Ryan, City Clerk, 1990-2002; Neil Martin 2002 to present.