Showing 1077 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
W.W. Wareham & Sons Ltd. was a fish and fishery supply business operating at Harbour Buffett, Long Island, Placentia Bay, from 1922-1967. It operated successfully until the resettlement program of 1967 forced its closure.
The business was purchased by Wilfred William Wareham, Haystack, from Thomas Wakely in 1922. The firm had originally been established circa 1812 by Thomas Hann, an English merchant who came to Placentia to act as a supplier for the fishery. During its 45 year history, W. W. Wareham and Sons operated mainly as fish merchants, buying fish and supplying fishermen with fishing gear and provisions. They operated bankers in the fishery but did not own any foreign-going vessels. Wareham was a member of the Newfoundland Associated Fish Exporters Limited (NAFEL) and was involved in the salt fish industry, buying fish from the other commuities in the area and selling through the central agency.
As well as the operation at Harbour Buffett where the fish was collected and dried, Wareham's operated a branch at North Harbour, managed by Don Slade, and an office in St. John's managed by Harry Wareham. Other sons of W.W. Wareham, Leeland and Fred, administered the headquarters at Harbour Buffett.
Thomas J. Waldron (1808-1854) was born at Tuam, Waterford, Ireland, in 1808. He was ordained a priest in Ireland by Michael Anthony Fleming, Vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland.
Rev. Waldron arrived in Newfoundland in 1833. He assumed pastoral duties in St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, King's Cove, Bonavista Bay, in 1845, serving there until 1854. He built the first church in King's Cove in 1853.
Rev. Waldron died of cholera at King's Cove on 4 December 1854. He was buried in the parish cemetery.
Wallace James (Wally) McLean, son of Wallace and Edna (McDonald) McLean, was raised and educated in North West River Labrador, and completed post secondary studies at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, and Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. Wally was employed for several years in the Ottawa office of the Liberal Member of Parliament for Labrador. In 1996, he began studies towards a law degree at the University of Ottawa. Wally is a collector of Labrador history and donates material to THEM DAYS Labrador Archives on a regular basis. He currently resides in Ottawa with three cats.
James Walsh (1803-1873), Catholic priest, was born in Cappahayden, County Callan, Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1803. He died at Merasheen, Placentia Bay, on 12 July 1873.
Walsh studied for the priesthood in St. Kieran's College, Kilkenny, and, in 1831 was ordained a priest in Dublin, Ireland by Michael Anthony Fleming, Bishop of St. John's.
At the invitation of Bishop Fleming, Rev. Walsh arrived in the Vicariate of Newfoundland in 1835. He was appointed as priest at Carbonear where he was an active member of the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS).
In the latter part of 1841 Rev. Walsh was transferred as parish priest to the Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia. He set out from Carbonear in the month of December to walk to Placentia in order to be available to celebrate the Masses for the Christmas Season in his new parish. The journey was arduous and tragic as some of his companions died along the route after being caught in a bitter snow storm.
Rev. Walsh also served at St. Joseph's Parish, Bonavista (1855-57). In 1862 he was appointed as the parish priest of Sacred Heart Parish, St. Kyrans, Placentia Bay, where he resided until his death in 1873. Rev. Walsh was also a member of the Board of Education for Placentia West.
John Walsh (1833-1899), Catholic priest, was born in the Diocese of Monecoin, Ireland, in Janaury 1833, the son of Honora (Dunphy) and John Walsh. He died at Portugal Cove on 15 November 1899. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John's.
Walsh completed his studies for the priesthood in St. John's Seminary College, Waterford, Ireland. He arrived in Newfoundland in 1853, and was ordained a priest on 24 June 1855 in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, by John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of the Diocese of Newfoundland.
Rev. John Walsh was initially stationed as curate in Immaculate Conception Parish, Harbour Grace (1859-72). In 1872 he was appointed parish priest of St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, King's Cove, Bonavista Bay. Walsh succeeded Rev.Thomas O'Connor as pastor of Holy Rosary Parish, Portugal Cove, where he resided at the time of his death.
Kyran Walsh (1809-1868), Catholic priest, was born at Mencken, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in September 1809. Walsh died at Conception Bay on 4 September 1868 and is buried in the parish cemetery at Harbour Main. Walsh was an uncle of Revs. Michael and John Walsh who also served in Newfoundland.
Walsh was educated in the schools of his home parish and pursued his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary College, Waterford. Following completion of his course of studies in philosophy and theology, Walsh was invited by Michael Anthony Fleming, bishop of St. John's, to serve in Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest on 25 August 1839 by Bishop Fleming in the Presentation Convent Chapel, Cathedral Square, St. John's.
Rev. Walsh's first appointment was in the old Cathedral Parish, St. John's. Shortly after Rev. Walsh's arrival, Bishop Fleming decided to construct a new cathedral in the city. In preparation for this extensive project, Rev. Walsh supervised the gathering of the stone for the Cathedral. He also travelled in the United States collecting funds for the construction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1840-42).
Rev. Walsh also introduced Newfoundland Catholics to the Irish temperance movement founded in Cork in April 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew. His efforts resulted in the establishment of the Newfoundland Temperance Society (and its successor organizations, the Total Abstinence Society and the Total Abstinence and Temperance Society). By 1850 the Total Abstinence Society, under its president Father Walsh, had branches in several communities including Torbay, Harbour Main, Brigus and Harbour Grace.
In 1850 Rev. Walsh was appointed parish priest of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay. Shortly afterwards Bishop Fleming recalled him to St. John's to continue his invaluable work on the construction of the Cathedral (1850-1857). Rev. Kyran Walsh also served as Vicar General to Bishop Fleming for several years.
In 1857 Fleming's successor, Bishop John Thomas Mullock appointed Rev. Walsh as the first parish priest of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish, Harbour Main, where he remained until his death in 1868.
Walter Broomfield (18-?-1943) was the youngest son of Samuel James Broomfield and Eliza Learning. He was a trapper and fisherman from Big Bay, near Davis Inlet. He married Carrie Anderson and had five children.