Showing 1086 results

Authority record

William Duncan Strong

  • Person

William Duncan Strong (1899-1962), a native of Portland, Oregon, Dr. Strong attended the University of California at Berkley during the mid-1920's. At Berkley, he studied under Alfred Kroeber, the Chair of the Department of Anthropology at that time. While at Berkley he began to study ethnography but found that archaeology was his calling. He participated on field trips and did many other things there. His doctoral dissertation got the attention of the Dean of American Archaeologists, Dr. A.V. Kidder. Strong received his doctorate in 1926 at Berkley. In August of 1929, Strong became a Professor of Anthropology in the Department of Sociology at the University of Nebraska. While there he taught classes in Introduction to Anthropology, Primitive Society and Religion and a course on American Indians. On December 15, 1930, Strong resigned from his teaching position to take a position as Senior Entomologist with the Bureau of American Ethnology. While there he did some archaeological work but after four years decided he needed a change. In 1937, Strong took a position as Professor of Anthropology at Columbia University in New York. Strong was often described as an effective and a stimulating instructor. Dr. Strong's professional career included service at the Field Museum of Natural History from 1926 to 1929, University of Nebraska from 1929 to 1931, Bureau of American Ethnology from 1931 to 1937, and Columbia University from 1937 to 1962. His work with the Field Museum of Natural History allowed him to participate in the Rawson-MacMillan field expedition and he traveled to Labrador on the schooner, Bowdoin. He recorded detailed information about the practices of the native groups he encountered on this expedition

William Fitzhugh

  • Person

William (Bill) Fitzhugh was born February 1, 1943, in New York City, New York, U.S.A. He received his post secondary education at Dartmouth College and Harvard University, where he studied anthropology. He presently works with the Smithsonian Institution as the Director of the Arctic Studies Center in Washington.

William G. Legge

  • Person
  • 1968-1978

Bishop Legge was Curate at Channel and Rector in the parishes of Botwood and Bell Island. He was made Archdeacon of Avalon by Bishop Phillip Abraham. He also served as secretary of the Diocese before becoming Bishop. In May, 1973, Bishop Legge was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree from the University of King's College, Halifax.

William Waterman & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • [186-]-[189-]

The firm of William Waterman & Co. operated as general fish merchants in Fogo, Twillingate, Change Islands, and Nipper's Harbour in Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland from the 1860s to the 1890s. It purchased fish, cod oil, and seal pelts, and provided supplies through its general stores. During the 1870s, Waterman paid more duties than any other merchant operating in the Fogo-Twillingate area, an indication of the extent of its operations. The company equipped 46 schooners for the Labrador fishery in 1880, and 41 in 1890.

William Waterman was an agent and partner in the Twillingate firm of William Cox & Co., which was a successor to the firm originally established by John Slade of Poole in the eighteenth century. In the 1860s, Waterman purchased the firm, which was renamed William Waterman & Co. by 1867. The headquarters of the firm appear to have been at Fogo in the 1870s, but may have been moved to Twillingate around 1887. During the 1870s, the firm was owned in partnership by Thomas Dorman Hodge, Richard Dorman Hodge, William Waterman, and William Edward Waterman.

The Waterman firm may not have survived the 1894 bank crash, for by 1900, much of its property at Fogo and Twillingate was in the hands of J. W. Hodge, who had previously been Waterman's agent at Tilting.

Willoughby, Percival

  • Person
  • fl.1606-1643

Percival Willoughby (fl.1606-1643), settlement promoter, council member of the Newfoundland Company, member of parliament, was born into the Kentish branch of the house of Willoughby d'Eresby in the latter sixteenth century. He married his kinswoman, Bridget (also spelled Bridgett) heiress of Francis Willoughby of Wollaton, Nottingham, and acquired substantial property in both Kent and Nottingham. They had at least three sons, one of whom, Thomas, was also involved in the Newfoundland ventures. Willoughby died in England in 1643.

The Nottingham estate was riddled with debt, and by 1606, Willoughby was threatened by the prospect of debtors' prison. Lured by the promise of iron, copper, and silver profits in North America, he became a subscriber and council member of the Newfoundland Company, probably influenced by a major creditor, John Slany, the company's treasurer. But like other members, he was also genuinely interested in establishing a self-sufficient colony on the island and developing its fishing, agricultural, potash, and mineral potential. Two years later, he also became subscriber to the Virginia Company, but the focus of his interest remained the Newfoundland venture.

Willoughby's anticipated allotment lay between Conception and Trinity Bays, north of a line drawn between Carbonear and Heart's Content. In 1612, he sent his wayward third son, Thomas, with his agent Henry Crout and six apprentices, to the company's colony at Cuper's Cove (Cupids). He also sent a surveyor named Oliney to survey his lot and Bartholomew Pearson from the Wollaton estate to assess its agricultural capacity. Few of the party were impressed. Only Crout expressed any hope of the land's potential in mineral wealth. Faced with disappointing prospects, the hostility of migratory fishermen, and the coastal raiding of pirate Peter Easton, Thomas returned home in 1613, only to incur his father's wrath for lack of commitment. Sir Percival relented in 1615, intending to transfer the title of his Newfoundland lot to Thomas and another son, Edward. In 1616, he sent Thomas back to Newfoundland. But Thomas' name was written out of the family pedigree by 1631, suggesting that his father finally disowned him.

Before this estrangement, Thomas advised his father: "If efver you looke for your monney agayne in this country you must send fisher men." (1616). Unfortunately, Sir Percival did not heed his son's counsel. Although his lot included the rich fishing grounds off Baccalieu Island, Willoughby continued to pursue his hopes of mineral wealth. He was not successful in persuading the company to grant him the rich iron ores of Bell Island. During 1616-17, Willoughby also purchased a half share in the company for his son Edward from John Browne, and then tried to inveigle the company into granting the valuable St. John's lot to Browne without mentioning that his son was Browne's partner. This effort was also unsuccessful. When Willoughby officially accepted his allotment in 1617, it was for the original, more northerly portion.

In 1618, Willoughby entered into a partnership with William Hannam and Thomas Rowley, transferring to them his share of land in Trinity Bay for a nominal rent and their commitment to explore the potential of farming, mineral deposits, and trade with the Aboriginals. Constant squabbling and Willoughby's distrustful nature drove the partners apart within a few years. By 1626, Willoughby was in danger of losing the Trinity Bay portion of his lot because he had not managed to find colonists, thus defaulting on one of the conditions set by the company. His creditor John Slany managed to maintain the company on Willoughby's behalf, but with very little thanks from Willoughby, who claimed that his investment, so far from turning a profit, had actually cost him about œ500.

By 1631, Willoughby was negotiating with Nicholas Guy to settle on his land. Guy had been on the island since 1612 and had already moved from Cuper's Cove to Carbonear, where he was fishing and farming profitably in 1631. No further evidence of Willoughby's involvement in Newfoundland exists beyond Guy's letter to him of 1 September 1631. Despite various setbacks, Willoughby's interest in Newfoundland had lasted for at least twenty-one years, making him one of the island's most tenacious, if not most successful, promoters of settlement.

Winsor, Harry C.

  • Person
  • 1917-

Harry Winsor (1917- ), fisheries manager, international development officer and consultant, was born in Musgrave Harbour, Newfoundland, the son of Elizabeth (Hollett) and the Rev. John W. Winsor.

Winsor was educated at Memorial University College and Boston University. Winsor began work with Newfoundland Fisheries Board (NFB) in 1939 and was subsequently appointed to the Newfoundland Department of Supply (1942). In 1944, he was appointed secretary, Fishery Products Committee, Combined Food Board, an agency established by the Allied powers to allocate food supplies during World War II. After the war, he worked in Washington for the International Emergency Food Council and UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Fisheries Division. He moved to Rome when the permanent FAO headquarters was established there in 1951.

In 1953, Winsor returned to Newfoundland as a member of the newly-established crown corporation, Newfoundland Fisheries Development Authority (NFDA), which experimented with centralized curing stations at Seldom-come-by (Fogo Island) and Quirpon (Great Northern Peninsula). He also served as a member of the South Coast Commission, chaired by John R. Cheeseman.

In 1964, Winsor rejoined FAO to organize and manage a regional fisheries development project in the Caribbean. He returned to Rome in 1968 as FAO Director of Fisheries Operations. In 1974, Winsor became senior director of FAO's inter-regional Indian Ocean Fishery Survey and Development Program. He retired from FAO in 1979, but continued to work in international fisheries management and development as a consultant.

Results 1071 to 1080 of 1086