Mostrando 1086 resultados

Registro de aurtoridad

Church of England Women's Association (St. Faith's, Ireland's Eye, N.L..)

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1905-1965

The Church of England Women’s Association (C.E.W.A.) was founded in 1876 at Heart’s Content. The C.E.W.A. promoted Christian unity and fellowship at home and overseas. A branch of the C.E.W.A .was established at Ireland’s Eye in 1905. On October 4th, 41 ladies from the congregation attended the first meeting, which was addressed by Mrs. Hollands, wife of the Rector of the Parish. All present voted in favour of establishing St. Faith’s branch.

The Association met once a week to work at sewing, knitting, embroidery etc. They held regular sales of work, and the proceeds were donated to various charities at home and abroad, and contributions were made to the rector’s stipend and church funds. The Association made a substantial contribution to the new Church of St. George’s built in 1927.

The final meeting of St. Faith’s was held on August 28 1965.

Lester-Garland

  • Família
  • [18-]

The Lester-Garland family, an English-based merchant family, was involved in the Newfoundland fish trade in the second half of the eighteenth century, with primary headquarters in Poole (England) and Trinity (Newfoundland). Like many businesses of the time, the Lester-Garland familial ties were reflected in the Lester-Garland enterprises. The principals in the Lester-Garland family were Benjamin Lester (1724-1802), brother Isaac Garland (1718-1778), son John Lester (d. 1805), son-in-law George Garland (1753-1825), grandsons Benjamin Garland (later Benjamin Lester, died), George Garland Jr. (d.) and John Bingley Garland (1791-1875).

Benjamin Lester (1724-1802) was born in Poole, Dorset, the son of Rachael (Taverner) and Francis Lester. His mother, Rachel, was the daughter of William Tavernor, Bay de Verde (Newfoundland) and his father, a former mayor of Poole, was involved in the Newfoundland trade. Lester married his cousin Susannah, daughter of Jacob Taverner (Trinity). He had six children, including one son, John, who survived him.

Following the death of his father (1737), Benjamin Lester relocated to Newfoundland where he was employed by his uncle, John Masters, a Poole-Newfoundland merchant, and Irish partner Michael Ballard. Lester became an agent for Masters at Trinity. By 1748, he was himself a leading planter and merchant, having received the substantial Trinity fishing premises, "Taverners" from his father-in-law. By the early 1760s, Lester and his brother Isaac were in partnership: Benjamin purchased Newfoundland codfish from planters and fishermen whom he also supplied with fishing gear and provisions; Isaac managed the Poole end of the enterprise by securing vessels, shipping supplies and fishing servants to Newfoundland and marketing incoming cargoes of Newfoundland fish, oil and pelts.

Benjamin Lester returned to Poole in 1767, but he continued to visit Trinity regularly to direct the company's Newfoundland operations. By the early 1770s, the Lesters owned an ocean-going fleet of 12 vessels and established mercantile premises at Trinity, Bonavista, Greenspond, and Tilting. They constructed vessels at Trinity and New Harbour, Trinity Bay, and became involved in the offshore fishery on the Grand Banks as well as the salmon fishery and the cod fishery along the French Shore and the Labrador coast. They also employed large numbers of men in cutting wood, trapping furs, and sealing.

After the death of Isaac Lester in 1778, Benjamin Lester continued the Poole-Newfoundland operations. By 1793, he owned 20 ships, the largest fleet operated by an English-Newfoundland merchant in the eighteenth century. He also accumulated substantial property in Poole, including Mansion House, Stone Cottage and two country estates.

One of the major concerns of Benjamin Lester was the continuation of his company as a family business under the Garland name. Son John had little interest in the Newfoundland trade and no male heirs. Daughter Amy married George Garland (1753-1825), who was employed as Lester's counting-house manager in Poole. As Lester became increasingly involved in British politics in the 1780s and 1790s, Garland assumed more direct responsibility for the trade. By his will, Benjamin Lester left the Newfoundland trade in half shares to his only son John Lester and to George Garland, to be operated as Benjamin Lester and Company. He also arranged that much of his Poole property should go to his eldest grandson, Benjamin Lester Garland (1779-1839), on condition that he would take the Lester surname. Benjamin Lester Garland changed his surname to Lester and received his inheritance, but took no interest in the Newfoundland trade. The firm Benjamin Lester & Company continued until the death of John Lester in 1805 when George Garland assumed control. In 1819, Benjamin Lester was replaced in the firm by his brothers, George Jr. and John Bingley Garland (1791-1875), first Speaker for the Newfoundland House of Assembly.

Sons George Garland Jr. and John Bingley Garland were sent to Trinity to manage the company's Newfoundland assets. In 1821 John returned to Poole where he managed the Poole headquarters until his return to Newfoundland in 1832. Following the retirement of his father (1822) and the departure of George Jr. from the family business (1830) and his death without heir, John Bingley Garland became sole proprietor. He established a partnership with St. John's merchants George R. Robinson and Thomas Brooking. He returned again to Poole following a brief political career, and dissolved his partnership with Robinson and Brooking. The Garland premises at Trinity operated under a variety of names until 1906 when it was purchased by Ryan Brothers (Bonavista).

Wesleyan Methodist Conference of Eastern British America, Newfoundland District

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1855 –1874

In 1855 the Newfoundland District of the British Wesleyan Methodist Conference was joined with the districts of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Bermuda and Newfoundland form the Wesleyan Methodist Conference of Eastern British America, retaining in this restructuring their affiliation with the British Wesleyan Methodist Conference. In 1874 the Wesleyan Methodist Church of Eastern British America joined with the Wesleyan Methodist Conference of Canada and the New Connexion Methodist Church of Canada to form the Methodist Church of Canada. The Methodist Church of Canada then became a free-standing body and its direct connection to the British Wesleyan Methodist Conference was severed. The old Newfoundland District became a Conference of the new organisation. For a discussion of the history of the various Methodist bodies in Canada see Neil Semple, The Lord’s Dominion (Montreal, 1996). For a detailed history of the Methodist Church of Canada in Newfoundland and Labrador see D.W. Johnson, Methodism in Eastern British America (Sackville, N.B., 1924).

Health Sciences Library

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1969-

The Health Sciences Library (HSL), originally called the Faculty of Medicine Library, was an integral component of the medical school at Memorial University of Newfoundland. It was set up initially in a small room in the Temporary Buildings on the Memorial University of Newfoundland campus. June Leath Huntley, consultant in residence, and Dr. K. B. Roberts, associate dean of medicine and head of physiology, were instrumental in the development of the library, ensuring that it met standards that led to its official recognition as a medical library in 1969. In 1971 the library was renamed Medical Library and moved to a space between Temporary Buildings 7 and 9.

There were several developments in the Medical Library in 1972. Richard Fredericksen was appointed as its first medical librarian. In January, the library published the first issue of the Faculty of Medicine Library Newsletter. Also in that month, the library began sending unbound journals to the bindery. The library was remodeled, and staffing increased to three professional and seven technical support staff positions.

In 1973, the Library Affairs Committee and the Faculty Council approved the medical librarian’s recommendation to change from the Library of Congress classification system to the National Library of Medicine system, which provided more categories, had a more logical arrangement, and was revised more frequently. In August, the library announced the establishment of MEDLINE (a computerized bibliographic retrieval system providing on-line access to citations contained in more than 1000 of the world’s biomedical serial titles), which had just become operational in mid June.

The library experienced a monumental change in 1975 when it moved from the main campus into its present location on the ground floor of the newly constructed Health Sciences Centre. The move took place during the week of February 3 and by Monday, February 10, the library opened in its new setting. The library originally had seating for 180 patrons and stacking for 60,000 volumes, which eventually expanded to accommodation for 395 patrons and 135,000 volumes. The library also acquired a core collection of dental material to support dentists practising in the province. On a less positive note the library also experienced its first flood on April 17 of that year and required 87 man hours to restore order to the chaos that ensued. By June 1975 the library’s collection had grown from 14,000 volumes to approximately 20,000. The staff had increased to one position in Administration, seven positions in Public Services, eleven positions in Technical Services, and 21 part-time staff.

The Medical Library increased its mandate when it assumed responsibility for library services to Memorial University School of Nursing in 1977. That summer, books and journals relating to nursing were moved from the main university library (named Henrietta Harvey Library in 1970, renamed Queen Elizabeth II Library in 1982), to the Medical Library. The Medical Library’s collection increased again that year when the General Hospital Medical Library moved its holdings to the library. Shortly after these changes the title Medical Library was replaced with Health Sciences Library in recognition of the library’s expanded role in providing library services to a broad range of health sciences disciplines. In keeping with the new library name, Mr. Fredericksen’s title was changed from medical librarian to health sciences librarian.

Meanwhile, Dr. K. B. Roberts had resigned as assistant dean of Basic Medical Sciences in 1974 in order to concentrate on the acquisition of a special history of medicine collection for the Faculty of Medicine. In October 1978, he was appointed the first John Clinch History of Medicine Professor. On Sept. 15, 1979, the Historical Collection Room of the Health Sciences Library was officially opened. The collection contained over 100 books and items about the history of medical science and practice, nursing and community health with special emphasis placed on the history of medicine in this province. In 1986, Shelagh Wotherspoon, head, Public Services, Health Sciences Library, and Isabel Hunter (former health sciences librarian), published, “A Bibliography of Health Care in Newfoundland,” Occasional Papers in Medical History: number six, editor: Dr. K. B. Roberts.

The position of head librarian has been filled by a number of librarians since 1972. The first head librarian, Mr. Fredericksen, resigned from his position as health sciences librarian on June 30, 1978. The position was temporarily filled by Ms. Catherine Sheehan until she was succeeded by Ms. Isabel Hunter in January 1979. Ms. Hunter spent five years as head of the Health Sciences Library before resigning on March 31, 1984. Ms. Shelagh Wotherspoon was appointed acting head of the library, effective April 1, 1984, while a search ensued to fill the position on a permanent basis. Ms. Catherine Quinlan was appointed as the new health sciences librarian on Jan. 15, 1985 and served for five years before she resigned on Aug. 31, 1990. At that time Ms. Linda Barnett was appointed Acting Health Sciences Librarian until Aug. 1, 1991, when the present head, Mr. George Beckett was appointed as the new health sciences librarian. Mr. Beckett has led the library though enormous changes over the past 16 years.

Under the guidance of its respective head librarians the library continued to expand and implement technology wherever it was beneficial. When the School of Pharmacy opened at Memorial in the Fall of 1986, the pharmacy programme of the College of Trades and Technology was phased out and its library pharmacy collection was transferred to the Health Sciences Library.

The years 1988-1989 encompassed great changes in renovations and computerization of the catalogue. On March 20, 1989, the library moved forward with its on-line catalogue allowing patrons to search the library’s entire holdings at micro workstations in the library. Ten years later, the Faculty of Medicine Founders’ Archive was established as a division of the library and was officially opened in 2000.

Today, the Health Sciences Library collection includes material on medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry and allied health. In the health and allied disciplines, there are approximately 40,000 books (paper format); 20,000 electronic texts; 8,000 electronic journals; 350 current journals (paper format); and 1,800 audio-visual items. The library also provides access to approximately 30,000 non-health electronic journals and 220,000 electronic texts that are accessible through general Memorial University agreements. Currently, the library has a complement of seven librarians, a secretary, an administrative staff specialist II, a computer support person, an archivist, ten library assistants and one archival assistant (levels LA III to LA VIII), contractual employees, student assistants and MUCEP students.

In addition to students, staff and faculty in the Memorial University health sciences disciplines of medicine, nursing and pharmacy, the Health Sciences Library also acts as a resource centre for Eastern Health (Health Sciences Centre). The library also serves all health practitioners in the province with electronic resources provided through the Newfoundland and Labrador Health Knowledge Information Network (NLHKIN). The library is now preparing for a major change as the majority of its information resources are converted from paper to electronic format.

Located on the first floor of the Health Sciences Centre, the library provides services for many groups. They include: Faculty of Medicine, School of Nursing and School of Pharmacy (Memorial University of Newfoundland); General Hospital, Janeway Children’s Centre and Rehabilitation Centre (Health Care Corporation of St. John’s); Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Centre (Newfoundland Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation); and in addition, the library is a resource centre for all health practitioners in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Walsh, Kyran

  • Persona
  • 1809-1868

Kyran Walsh (1809-1868), Catholic priest, was born at Mencken, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in September 1809. Walsh died at Conception Bay on 4 September 1868 and is buried in the parish cemetery at Harbour Main. Walsh was an uncle of Revs. Michael and John Walsh who also served in Newfoundland.

Walsh was educated in the schools of his home parish and pursued his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary College, Waterford. Following completion of his course of studies in philosophy and theology, Walsh was invited by Michael Anthony Fleming, bishop of St. John's, to serve in Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest on 25 August 1839 by Bishop Fleming in the Presentation Convent Chapel, Cathedral Square, St. John's.

Rev. Walsh's first appointment was in the old Cathedral Parish, St. John's. Shortly after Rev. Walsh's arrival, Bishop Fleming decided to construct a new cathedral in the city. In preparation for this extensive project, Rev. Walsh supervised the gathering of the stone for the Cathedral. He also travelled in the United States collecting funds for the construction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1840-42).

Rev. Walsh also introduced Newfoundland Catholics to the Irish temperance movement founded in Cork in April 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew. His efforts resulted in the establishment of the Newfoundland Temperance Society (and its successor organizations, the Total Abstinence Society and the Total Abstinence and Temperance Society). By 1850 the Total Abstinence Society, under its president Father Walsh, had branches in several communities including Torbay, Harbour Main, Brigus and Harbour Grace.

In 1850 Rev. Walsh was appointed parish priest of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay. Shortly afterwards Bishop Fleming recalled him to St. John's to continue his invaluable work on the construction of the Cathedral (1850-1857). Rev. Kyran Walsh also served as Vicar General to Bishop Fleming for several years.

In 1857 Fleming's successor, Bishop John Thomas Mullock appointed Rev. Walsh as the first parish priest of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish, Harbour Main, where he remained until his death in 1868.

Gardiner, Sylvester

  • Persona
  • 1707-1786

Sylvester Gardiner (1707-1786), physician and pharmacist, was born in South Kingston, Rhode Island, in 1707. He studied medicine in Boston and later opened a practice there. From medicine, he branched out into the pharmaceutical trade. Gardiner became a wealthy man and continued to generate wealth through his investments in real estate. He died on 8 August 1786.

When the American Revolution commenced, Gardiner supported the British (Loyalist) cause. When Boston was evacuated in 1776, he moved to Halifax, leaving most of his property behind. He spent some time in Newfoundland in the years 1783-85. After the end of the American Revolution, Gardiner returned to New England, settling in Newport, Rhode Island.

Tudor, Hugh

  • Persona
  • 1871-1965

Henry Hugh Tudor (1871-1965), soldier, was born in England in 1871, son of Rev. Harry Tudor, Sub-Dean of Exeter Cathedral. He died on 25 September 1965.

Hugh Tudor initially became involved in the military at a young age. He saw combat in the Boer War from 1899 to 1902, receiving two medals for his service. Following 1902, he accepted postings in the British colonies until the commencement of World War I in August 1914. Tudor was in command of a unit in Egypt but was on leave in England when war broke out. When his unit arrived from Egypt, he and his men were soon involved in the war effort. Tudor helped plan strategy for the Battle of Cambrai (November 1917), using smoke to hide troop movements. By the end of the war, Tudor had reached the rank of Brigadier General, commanding the 9th Scottish Division, which included the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR).

In May 1920, Tudor was named police advisor to the Viceroy and commanding officer to both the Royal Irish Constabulary and the Dublin Metropolitan Police. He was one of the men most wanted by the Irish Republican Army (IRA). After the assassination of his aide-de-camp, it was decided that it was too dangerous for him to continue living in the British Isles.

In 1925 Tudor relocated to Newfoundland, and became involved in the fishery, working with the firm of George M. Barr Ltd., in St. John's.

Resultados 11 a 20 de 1086