Showing 387 results

Authority record
Person

Clancy, Michael A.

  • Person
  • 1850-1904

Michael A. Clancy (1850-1904), Catholic priest, was born at Ennis, County Clare, Ireland in 1850. He died in Ireland in 1904.

Clancy completed his primary, elementary and high school education in the national school system of Ireland. He was ordained a priest in Newfoundland on 14 November 1871.

Rev. Clancy was initially appointed as curate in Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia, and, subsequently, as a professor at St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's. In 1876 he was transferred to Holy Trinity Parish, Ferryland, as parish priest. In 1883 Rev. Clancy was appointed as the parish priest of Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia (1883-97). During his active ministry there he worked assiduously to promote education through the construction of schools in every section of the parish. He also supervised the erection of a new parish church.

Clancy was a delegate to the National Convention held in Ireland in 1896. He retired from active pastoral ministry and returned to Ireland in 1897.

Bradley, Noah Norman

  • Person
  • 1857-1924

Noah Norman Bradley (1857-1924), cabinet maker and businessman, was born in 1857 in Musgrave Harbour, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland, into a family of boatbuilders and fishermen. Bradley married Evangeline M. Trimm in 1886, and on 21 March 1888, the couple had a son, Frederick Gordon Bradley (1888-1966), who became a lawyer and politician. Bradley died in St. John's in 1924.

In 1878, with his brothers Adam and Len, Noah Bradley built the Orange Hall in Musgrave Harbour. In 1881, he began a five-year apprenticeship with the Newfoundland Furniture and Molding Company at its factory on Forest Road, St. John's. By 1890, he was working as a cabinetmaker for Richard Goff in a manufacturing shop in the Goff house on Prescott Street. From 1898 until his death, Bradley operated his own furniture-making business from his residence on Victoria Street.

Fyme, Anthon

  • Person
  • 1879-1964

Anthon Fyme (1879-1964), Catholic priest and prelate, was born in Warnink, Holland, in 1879, the son of Gerard Cornelius James and Elizabeth Bernadine Maria. Monsignor Fyme died at St. Clare's Mercy Hospital, St. John's, on 6 September 1964. He was buried in Belvedere cemetery, St. John's.

From 1885 to 1895, Fyme attended an apostolic school for seminarians with the Crozier Fathers at Uden, Holland. He studied philosophy at Roulers, Belgium (1895-97), in preparation for ordination to the priesthood. However, he developed a health problem that forced him to discontinue his studies briefly. When his health recovered, he entered a seminary at Leeds, England, where he studied theology (1897 -1903). While there, Fyme met Michael Francis Howley, Bishop of St. John's, Newfoundland, who was visiting the seminary to recruit priests for his diocese.

Following completion of his studies, Fyme came to the Diocese of St. John's, where he was ordained a subdeacon on 25 September, a deacon on 27 September, and a priest on 29 September 1903. The ordinations were performed by Bishop Howley in the chapel of the Presentation Convent, Cathedral Square, St. John's. Rev. Fyme served as curate in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish, St. John's (1903-10). He founded a parish Anti-Treating League, which took its name from a promise made by each member to avoid treating or being treated to alcoholic drink. As well, he established a recreational centre for fishermen on Adelaide Street. When a night school was started by the Irish Christian Brothers, at Archbishop Howley's request Rev. Fyme assumed responsibility for the classes in Christian doctrine and composed a catechism for underprivileged boys fitted to their level of education. In addition to his other duties, he taught Bible history on Sunday mornings, and was chaplain to the Penitentiary, the Catholic Cadet Corps (CCC), the Presentation Convent School, and Mercy College.

In 1910, Rev. Fyme was appointed parish priest of Sacred Heart Parish, St. Bride's, Placentia Bay, where he remained until 1913. During this ministry, he built a beautiful Romanesque church at Branch, St. Mary's Bay, a mission of the parish. In his various parishes, Fyme took care of not only the spiritual needs of the people, but also their various health needs, including the extraction of teeth. He died in St. John's at eighty-five years of age.

O'Dea, Dr. Francis

  • Person
  • 1916-1979

Francis Lawrence O’Dea (1916-1979), physician, was born in St. John's on 5 September 1916, the son of the Honorable John V. O’Dea and May Coady. He completed primary and secondary school at St. Bonaventure's College and Memorial University College. Then O’Dea enrolled at University College in Dublin in the Faculty of Medicine, where he obtained his qualifying degree, M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O. in 1944.

In 1944 O’Dea married Raymonde Judd, eldest daughter of Raymond and Mollie Judd ( nee Shea, formerly of St. John's) of Dublin. They have five children, Shane, Susan, Oonagh, Annmari and Francis. He spent the autumn of 1944 as Resident Medical Officer at Smithdown Road Hospital, Liverpool, England and the following winter in general practice at Stanford-le-Hope, Essex, England. In the spring of 1945 O’Dea returned to St. John's and established a general practice.

From October 1946 until May 1947 O’Dea undertook post-graduate work at the National Maternity Hospital in Dublin and received his licentiate in Midwifery. He then proceeded to Hereford, England where he was Obstetrical Officer at the County Hospital until July 1948.

On his return to St. John's in 1948 he set up the first specialty in Obstetrics and Gynecology, pioneering for improved maternity health care in Newfoundland. That year he co-authored, with Dr. Hatcher of the University of Toronto, Survey of Maternal and Child Health for the Newfoundland Department of Health. He attempted to introduce the Grantly Dick-Read method of natural childbirth into the hospitals but was prevented by the conservatism of the time. From 1948 until 1967 he was Medical Officer in Charge of the Department of Health's Pre-Natal Clinic which, prior to the introduction of MCP, served those who had no access to private medical care. While serving on the staffs of Grace and General Hospitals, he was Chief of Obstetrics at St. Clare's Mercy Hospital.

Dr. O'Dea was active in the Newfoundland Medical Association serving as Chairman of the Committee on Economics from 1954 to 1959. At the same time he was a member of the Canadian Medical Association's Committee on Economics. In 1958 he was President of the Newfoundland Division of the Canadian Medical Association. He was also involved in the St. John's business community as a Director and President of Newfoundland Brewery Limited and as Director of Browning Harvey Limited, of which he was Vice President in 1965.

Dr. O’Dea died in 1979 after a lengthy illness.

House, Dr. A.M.

  • Person
  • 1926-

Arthur Maxwell House (1926-), physician, Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador (1997-2002), and Professor of Neurology, Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN), was born in Glovertown, Newfoundland, on August 10, 1926, the son of Arthur James House and Ellen Jane House (nee Blackwood). In 1952 he married Mary Jeannette Christie of Windsor, Nova Scotia, whom he met while attending Dalhousie University. They have three children, Rosemary, Christopher and Peter, and 5 grandchildren.

Dr. House attended Elementary and High School in Glovertown. He was awarded a Kellogg Scholarship and then attended Memorial University College for pre-medical studies (1943-1947). He then went to Dalhousie University, graduating with an M.D., C.M. (1947-1952). Next, Dr. House worked as a general practitioner in Baie Verte (1952-1954). He left General Practice in 1954 to do Specialty Training in Psychiatry (1954-1956) at the Waterford Hospital, St. John’s (Dalhousie Program). From there he attended Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University (1956-1959) for Specialty Training in Neurology, receiving Certification in Neurology in 1959. Dr. House completed further post-graduate work in Neurology at the National Hospital, Queen’s Square, London, England (February-June 1965). He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons (1972).

Dr. House practiced Neurology in St. John’s for four decades (1960-1997). Throughout his career Dr. House held a number of appointments at the General Hospital, St. John’s, including: Chief, Division of Neurology (1966-1981); Director, Electroencephalography Laboratory (1961-1985); Director, Department of Diagnostic Neurophysiology (1986-1992); Chief of Staff (1966-1974); and Member of Board of Governors of The General Hospital Corporation (1968-1974).

Dr. House has held a variety of academic and professional positions at Memorial University of Newfoundland including: Director, Continuing Medical Education (1968-1977); Assistant Dean, Continuing Medical Education (1973-1981); Associate Dean, Clinical Affairs (1977-1981); Associate Dean, Continuing Medical Education and Clinical Affairs (1981-1984); Associate Dean, Professional Affairs (1984-1992); Member, Planning and Development Committee, Memorial University Health Sciences Complex (1971-1974); Member, Integrating and Coordinating Committee, Memorial University Health Sciences Complex (1974-1993); Director, Telemedicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1977-1988); Chair, TETRA (Telemedicine and Educational Technology Resources Agency) (1988-1996); Interim President, Memorial’s Seabright Corporation; (1992-1993); Special Advisor, Office of the President (1993-1996); Honorary Research Professor (2002); and Professor Emeritus (2003).

Dr. House became the 10th Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador on February 5, 1997. He was the first in this position to establish a Government House web site on which all his activities in office were documented.

After retirement from the Vice Regal in 2002, Dr. House returned to the Practice of Medicine and to Memorial as Honorary Research Professor. He continues to be active in clinical practice and telehealth projects in Tele-cancer services and health care generally.

Dr. House served on many Provincial and National organizations and committees including: Treasurer, Newfoundland Medical Association (1966-1973); Chairman of the Board, Agnes Pratt Home for the Aged (NL) (1970-1972); President, Canadian Neurological Society (1971-1972); Director, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Teleconference Project (1981-1983); Member of the Board, Science Advisory Board, Northwest Territories (1982-1985); Member, Board of Trustees, National Museums of Canada (1988-1990); Member, Board of Trustees, National Museum of Science and Technology (1990-1995); Member, Board of Directors, SatelLife (1988-1995); Vice President, SatelLife (1992-1995); Chair, Ethics Committee, Canadian Space Agency (1994-1995); and Expert Reviewer, European Commissions’ Annual Technical Project Review (Health Sector) (1996).

Dr. House was involved in research projects throughout his career, particularly in the area of Telemedicine and Telecommunications. He is regarded as a world leader in this area and for the past three decades has been an active presenter on this subject at conferences and symposiums throughout the world. As recently as July 2006 he gave presentations at Telemedicine Conferences in Madrid and Barcelona, Spain. Dr. House is the author of many journal articles and papers for a variety of publications.

Dr. House has been the recipient of many awards throughout his career including: Award for Communications Week at Expo ’86 in Vancouver; Member of the Order of Canada (1989); Atlantic Canada Innovator of the Year (1990); Medal of Service, Canadian Medical Association (1997); James H. Graham Award of Merit, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (1998); Honorary doctorate of laws (LLD), Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1998); Honorary doctorate of laws (LLD), Memorial University of Newfoundland (1999); Lifetime Achievement Award, the Marconi 100th Anniversary Wireless Vision Conference and Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (2001); Professor Emeritus, Memorial University (2003); Officer of the Order of Newfoundland and Labrador (2005); and Appointed Honorary Member of the Canadian Medical Association (June 2007).

Dr. and Mrs. House reside in St. John’s.

Martin, Dr. John

  • Person
  • 1922-2013

John R. Martin was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1922. He had his early schooling at the High School, Dublin, Montreal West High School and Lower Canada College. He graduated M.D., C.M. from McGill University in 1945. His postgraduate work included: Junior Rotating Internship at Montreal General Hospital, 1945-1946; Rotating Intern at Queen Mary Veteran’s Hospital, 1946-1947; Student at British Post Graduate Medical School, Hammersmith, London, 1947-1948; Pathology, Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, Scotland, 1948-1949; Assistant Resident in Medicine, Queen Mary Veteran’s Hospital, Montreal, 1949-1950; Assistant Resident in Medicine, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, 1950-1951; Research Fellow, Clinical Investigation Unit, Queen Mary Veteran’s Hospital, Montreal, 1951-1952; Assistant Resident in Psychiatry, Queen Mary Veteran’s Hospital, 1952-1953; Research Fellow, Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, New York, USA, 1953-1954; and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, combined course in Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, 1985-1986.

Dr. John Martin held several professional positions over the course of his career, beginning with the position of Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at McGill University in Montreal, which he left in 1975 to accept a Professorship in Rheumatology at the new medical school at Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland. While at Memorial University, Dr. Martin was Professor of Medicine (Rheumatology), 1975-1990; Professor of Occupational Medicine, 1987-1990; Director, Northern Medicine and Health Program, 1978-1994; Associate, Memorial University of Newfoundland Centre for Offshore and Remote Medicine (MEDICOR), 1984-1991; History of Medicine Group, 1985-1990; Professor of Medicine (Rheumatology) (part-time), 1990, and professor of Community Medicine (Occupational Health), 1990-1991.

In addition to teaching responsibilities, Dr. Martin held other positions as well. He was Chief Occupational Medical Officer for the Province of Newfoundland from 1983 to 1991, and was president of the Newfoundland Medical Association from 1976 to 1977. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and the American College of Physicians. Dr. Martin is married to Claire (nee Connor), daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Connor of Balinderry, County Armagh, Northern Ireland, and they have three children: Richard (b. 29 August 1960), Jennifer (b. 8 November 1962), and Christopher (b. 13 December 1967).

Payton, Dr. Brian

  • Person
  • 1930-

Dr. Brian Wallace Payton (1930- ), physician, was born on 13 February 1930 in East Ham, East London, England, the younger of two sons of Frank Payton, a manager in a London match company, and Jenny (Shambrook) Payton, a shorthand typist. The family moved to Illford, Essex (a part of greater London), when Dr. Payton was one year old. Payton attended school at the Illford County High School, a classical grammar school for students 17 or 18 years of age. On 16 February 1956, Payton married Krista Heidecker, a nurse he met at a British military hospital while serving in the British Army in Germany. Krista Heidecker was born in Magdeberg, East Germany, and she and Dr. Payton have two sons born in 1960 and 1963.

Dr. Payton was nine years old when WWII broke out. As a result, his grammar school was evacuated from London and he was sent to live with a family in South Wales. The father of his host family was a signal-man with the Great Western Railway and a keen first-aider. Payton became interested in first-aid and while there he joined the St. John Ambulance Cadets. When Payton turned 18, he was called into the British Army and became a lab technician in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He was sent to Germany and this is where he met his future wife, Krista. Dr. Payton decided to enter medical school and worked towards this goal while still in the British Army. From 1949-1950 he was a Pathology Laboratory Technician, Royal Army Medical Corps., NCO i/c Pathology Laboratory, British Military Hospital, Wuppertal, Germany. Then 1950-1951, Dr. Payton was a Pathology Laboratory Technician at the Queen Mary Hospital, Stratford, London, England.

Next, in 1951, Dr. Payton was accepted into Charing Cross Medical School at the University of London. He graduated from there in 1957 with his M.B., B.S., (the final medical qualifying examination in the UK, and equivalent to the North American M.D.). Dr. Payton performed Housejobs (internships) in surgery and Medicine at the Harrow Hospital and the Hackney Hospital, London, 1957-1958. He then became a Junior Lecturer in Pharmacology at Medical College of St. Bartholomew Hospital, London, England, 1959-1965.

Dr. Payton graduated with a PhD. in Pharmacology from the University of London in 1965. In that year Dr. Payton moved to New Jersey, USA where he took a position at Columbia University in New York working in the Physiology lab of the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. Next, from 1965 to 1967, Dr. Payton was Visiting Assistant Professor in Physiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University. He then moved with a National Institutes of Health Research Fellowship in Behavioral Science in the Department of Anatomy, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University, New York, 1967-1969.

Dr. Payton came to St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada in 1969, where he has stayed for the remainder of his career. He held the position of Associate Professor of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, until 1977. During this period, in 1973 he took on the role of Director of Medical Audiovisual Services (MAVS) also within the Faculty of Medicine. In 1977, Dr. Payton became Professor of Physiology, a position which he held until 1995. In 1984, he also became Associate in the History of Medicine Group. In 1995, Dr. Payton received a retired full-time appointment and a part-time appointment as Professor of Surgery at Memorial University.

Dr. Payton has served on many committees at Memorial University, such as: Chair, Student Affairs Committee, 1969-1971; Member, Marine Sciences Research Laboratories Advisory Committee, 1969-1973; Member, Faculty Constitution Committee, 1970-1972; Member, 2nd Year Neurosciences Committee, 1970-1986 (Chair, 1982-1986); Member, Educational Television Advisory Committee, 1973-1985; Member, Faculty of Medicine Telemedicine Committee, 1980-1990; Chair, Physiology Resource Group, 1980-1981; Acting Chair of History of Medicine, 1987-1988; and Laboratory Coordinator for 1st Year Introductory Physiology Course, 1987-1994.

Dr. Payton was a member of several societies over the years, such as: the Biological Section of the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineers (UK); the Examination Board of the British Optical Association; Health Sciences Communications Association (U.S.A.); Carter Member of the Association of Bio-Communications Directors (U.S.A.); Newfoundland Medical Association; Biophysical Society; the Special Resources Group on Instructional Media, Association of Canadian Medical Colleges; and the Canadian Physiological Society. Dr. Payton is currently a member of the British Pharmacological Society, the Canadian Association for the History of Medicine, the St. John’s History of Medicine Society, and the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC), (and past president).

Over a period of more than four decades, Dr. Payton has published numerous articles for scientific journals and proceedings, as well as for newsletters. He has published several textbooks and monographs. In addition, Dr. Payton has scripted, prepared and produced over thirty media productions, and has assisted in many others.

Dr. Payton currently resides in St. John’s and remains active with his involvement with the Faculty of Medicine. He enjoys photography, satirical cartooning, essay writing, and book binding. Dr. Payton also puts his hands to work building models, ships, dollhouses and miniatures.

Owing to his interests in medical education, the history of medicine and his skills as an illustrator and a craft bookbinder, Dr. Payton produced four works satirising some contemporary methods of medical educational literature. Claiming them to be previously unknown 17th and 18th century publications discovered in Newfoundland, these four books included a short programmed text version of William Harvey’s De Motu Cordis; a poetical guide, A Fabricated Alphabet, for aspiring medical students using the alphabetical woodcuts in the Fabrica of Vesalius; a collection of 46 illustrations in the style of woodcuts to accompany John Woodall’s otherwise unillustrated chapter on amputation as in The Surgions Mate; and a collection of multiple choice questions using text and illustrations from a variety of early medical works. Initially presented as a lecture in 1980 entitled The Influence of Tristram Schmuk on Colonial Medical Education, selected passages from these works also appeared as a poster display.

Results 11 to 20 of 387