Showing 1046 results

Authority record

All Saints Anglican Church, English Harbour (NL)

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-2004

All Saints Anglican Church of English Harbour was constructed in 1898 and consecrated on All Saints Day in 1900. It was built to replace St. Silas Anglican Church which was constructed between 1826 and 1829 and replaced a school chapel which was in use from the late 1700's to 1826. All Saints being the third Anglican Church to be built in the community. The bell in the tower of the church was cast in 1885 by Meneely & Co. of West Troy, U.S.A. and was used until the church was closed in 2004 due to small congregational size and much needed repairs.

Allard, F.Z.

  • Person
  • [18--]

F.Z. Allard, Catholic priest, was assistant to Monsignor Sears, Prefect Apostolic of the Prefecture Apostolic of St. George's, Newfoundland, from 1878 to 1879.

Alvin Blake

  • Person

Alvin Blake (1909-1998) was born to Ellen ( Michelin) and Mark Blake. He married Marjorie Michelin.

Amalgamated School fonds

  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2006

The Amalgamated School, Bay Roberts opened in January 1949. The school had an enrollment of 225 Anglican and United Church pupils. It replaced the United Methodist Church School (Snowden Hall) and the Church of England School (St. Matthew’s Hall). Premier J.R. Smallwood officially opened it. The exterior was built entirely of concrete blocks manufactured by Dawe’s Dunbrick, Clarke’s Beach and was constructed by Chester Dawe Ltd., St. John’s. The Premier told the people that their combined effort in raising the magnificent school was a credit, not only to themselves, but to the whole of Newfoundland. Eventually, the schools in Mercer’s Cove and French’s Cove closed and those students attended Amalgamated. In 1991, a new school was built and pupils from Georgetown to Bay Roberts attended. Thus, the old Amalgamated School closed. It has since been demolished. Initially the school had its own board. Later under consolidation, it came under the Avalon North Integrated Board and more recently the Eastern School District.

Anderson, Hugh Abercrombie

  • Person
  • 1890-1965

Hugh Abercrombie Anderson (1890-1965), playwright and theatre manager, was born in St. John's, Newfoundland on 10 February 1890, the son of Amelia (Murray) and John Anderson, a prominent local businessman and politician. He died at his home at Forest Hills Inn, Queens, New York on 9 November 1965.

Anderson attended Bishop Feild College, St. John's, followed by additional education at the Edinburgh Academy (Scotland). He also spent time in Switzerland and France. After completing his tour of Europe he returned to St. John's and joined his father's business.

Anderson joined the First Newfoundland Regiment (later the Royal Newfoundland Regiment) in 1915. A medical problem, however, prevented him from seeing service at the front so he worked in the Pay and Records Office in London. In 1917 he was promoted to Lieutenant and in 1918 to Captain. In 1919 he was awarded a certificate as a Member of the British Empire for his war service. Anderson was one of only nine members of the Regiments to be so honoured.

Anderson returned to St. John's and his father's business in 1919 but quickly became restless. In 1921 he decided to join his older brother John who was involved in the New York theatre scene and with motion pictures. In time, Hugh became John's business manager and associate producer. Together, they collaborated on twenty-nine major Broadway musicals.

Anderson also wrote a great deal, penning plays of his own as well as tailoring those of others for the stage. In 1954 his largest work, a biography of his brother John Murray Anderson was published. Anderson spent the remainder of his life in New York but returned to St. John's for visits from time to time.

Anderson, John Murray

  • Person
  • 1886-1954

John Murray Anderson (1886-1954), dance instructor, writer, Broadway producer, was born in St. John's, Newfoundland, on 20 September 1886, the son of Amelia (Murray) and John Anderson. He married Genevieve Lyon of Chicago in 1914. She died of tuberculosis in 1916. They had no children. Anderson died in New York City on 30 January 1954.

Anderson received his early education at Bishop Feild College, St. John's. Like many of his contemporaries from St. John's merchant families, he was sent to Europe to continue his education. He attended Edinburgh Academy and Lausanne University. After graduating from Lausanne, he went to London where he studied voice with Sir Charles Santley and acting with Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree. In 1909 he returned to St. John's where he spent time collecting antiques along the Southern Shore and other parts of the Avalon Peninsula, before moving to New York City.

In New York, Anderson quickly became involved in theatre, first as a dance instructor, before becoming a writer and producer, particularly of musical comedy and revues. His first play was The World Mother, starring Blanche Bates (1918). Over the next 30 years, he was responsible for over thirty productions, including The Greenwich Village Follies, The Music Box Revue, and Murray Anderson's Almanac. Between 1926-29 he produced fifty-seven miniature revues for Paramount Famous Players Theatres. After the death of Florenz Zeigfeld (1932), he became producer of The Zeigfeld Follies. He also took shows to London and was involved in the 1937 production,The Coronation Revue, staged to celebrate the coronation of King George VI.

For a number of years in the 1920s, in partnership with Robert Milton, Anderson also operated a school of theatre and dance located at East 58th Street in New York City. Some of the graduates of the school were Lucille Ball, Bette Davis, Paul Muni and Joan Blondell.

Anderson had a brief involvement with motion pictures. He spent 1929-30 in Hollywood, during which time he was the driving force behind the acclaimed, first all-colour, musical motion picture, The King of Jazz, released by Universal Studios in 1930. The theatre remained Anderson's first love, however, and he returned to it to present live stage productions until shortly before his death. During the 1940s he was involved in the production of a number of circus shows for Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus.

Anderson was a periodic visitor to Newfoundland throughout his life. In the year before his death, Anderson dictated his autobiography, Out without my Rubbers, with his brother, Hugh, as writer.

Anderson, Torsten

  • Person
  • 1834-[19-]

Torsten Anderson (1834-19-) was born in Norway on 9 February 1834 as Torstein Kverna. He married Mary Thomas in 1859; they had six boys and four girls.

Torstein Kverna arrived in Labrador in the late 1840s as an employee of the Hudson's Bay Company. He adopted a new name following his arrival in Labrador, altering the old Norwegian spelling of Torstein to Torsten and changing his surname from Kverna to Anderson as the latter was considered too difficult to pronounce. He chose the Anderson as his father's name was Anders and the name Anders had been in the family for about two hundred years. Torsten Anderson was the first European to settle in Makkovik, Labrador.

Results 21 to 30 of 1046