Showing 387 results

Authority record
Person

Rowe, Dr. Augustus T.

  • Person
  • 1920-

Augustus Taylor Rowe (1920- ), physician, professor of family practice and former provincial Minister of Health, was born in Heart’s Content, Newfoundland, on 2 August 1920, the son of Joseph Allen Rowe and Eugenie Fogwell Rowe (nee Taylor). Dr. Rowe married Beatrice Alice Rowe (nee Adams) and they have two children, David and Sarah Jane.

Dr. Rowe completed grade XI at Heart’s Content High School, Heart’s Content, and then one year of pre-medical studies at Memorial College, St. John’s. His studies were interrupted when Dr. Rowe enlisted in the army at the outbreak of World War II. He reached the rank of Warrant Officer. Following his military service, Dr. Rowe enrolled in the University of London’s medical school, St. Mary’s Hospital, London, England. He graduated with an M.D. and qualified as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons (1953). In the same year he returned to Newfoundland to served his internship at the St. John’s General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland. He later continued his education with post-graduate studies in obstetrics and gynecology, completing one year in England and another year in Toronto.

Dr. Rowe began his medical career in 1954 as a general practitioner in Carbonear, Newfoundland. He was a founding member of the Carbonear Community Hospital, which opened in 1957 and was the Medical Director from 1957 until 28 October 1971. He resigned to become a Progressive Conservative member of the House of Assembly for Carbonear when the Progressive Conservative party defeated the Liberal government of former Premier Joseph R. Smallwood. Dr. Rowe was appointed Minister of Health in January 1972 and again after re-election in March 1972. He held the position until 1975 when he resigned at age 55 from Premier Frank Moores’ Progressive Conservative cabinet.

Dr. Rowe had been practicing family medicine for 20 years in Carbonear when Memorial University officials invited him to do postgraduate work in geriatrics. He entered Memorial University in 1975 and was eventually named professor and chairman of Family Practice, which he headed from 1978 to 1985. He spent his time at Memorial University lecturing, supervising the Family Practice residents, and researching the needs of the elderly in Newfoundland. On retirement in 1985, Dr. Rowe and his wife, Beatrice, moved to Toronto and for the next four years he worked as a surveyor for the Accreditation Council, visiting and surveying hospitals and nursing homes in various provinces throughout Canada.

Over the years, Dr. Rowe has held a variety of academic and professional positions. He has served as the President of the Newfoundland Medical Association (NMA), now called Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association, and was the NMA provincial representative to the Canadian Medical Association (CMA). He was elected to senior membership of the CMA, an award given to physicians that have been members of the CMA for ten years and are at least 65 years of age. Not only do nominees need to be unanimously voted in by the CMA board of directors, but they must also have distinguished themselves in their medical careers by making significant contributions to their community and profession. In addition, Dr. Rowe was a Regional Director of the Newfoundland Tuberculosis Association, and president of the Carbonear branches of the Kiwanis Club and the Canadian Red Cross. He is an honorary member of the national organization of the Red Cross and has received his 30 blood-donations pin. From 1980 to 1981 he was a member of the Royal Commission of Forest Protection and Management.

Dr. Rowe’s studies were paralleled by academic publications throughout his career including: Assessment of needs of the elderly in the province of Newfoundland: summation of research project of Department of Family Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University, Newfoundland, 1977. After Dr. Rowe retired, the Faculty of Medicine established the annual Gus Rowe Teaching Award. It is given for excellence in the teaching of the examination, assessment and treatment of the whole patient.

Tomlinson, Dr. J.D.W.

  • Person
  • 1926-2010

John Derek Williams Tomlinson (1926-2010), physician and professor, was born in Alfreton, Derbyshire, England on 26 March 1926, the son of Charles Sterland Tomlinson and Mabel Annie Tomlinson (nee Williams). In 1952, on 12 July, Dr. Tomlinson married Margaret Jane Tomlinson (nee Barker) of Todmorden, Yorkshire, England, at North Lopham, Norfolk, England, and they have five children: Derek James, Charles Richard Neil, Susan Jane, Hilary Jill and Amanda Kate. Dr. Tomlinson died 30 April 2010.

Dr. Tomlinson received his medical education at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, England (B.A., 1946, M.A., M.B.B. Chir). Then he carried out clinical training at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School. After graduating from Medical School, Dr. Tomlinson taught anatomy for several years at the London Hospital Medical College. In the early part of 1970, Dr. Kenneth Bryson Roberts approached Dr. Tomlinson concerning a position teaching anatomy in Memorial University. Dr. Roberts had also taught in the London Hospital Medical College and had recently left to become Memorial University’s first Associate Dean of Medicine. Dr. Tomlinson accepted the offer and arranged to come to Newfoundland in August 1970.

Dr. Tomlinson taught the first anatomy course at Memorial University, starting on September 1st and ending on October 9th of 1970. There were 24 students enrolled. The course was relatively experimental due to the fact that it was the first of its kind at Memorial, and Dr. Tomlinson was designing the course as he went. However, despite the newness of the course and many problems the medical facility had with facilities and in obtaining materials for demonstration and research purposes, Dr. Tomlinson formed a bond with those students that he cherished all his life. After the course ended, and thinking his adventures in St. John’s had come to a close, he returned to England but once again he was invited the following year to teach the course again. In the winter of 1972,, Memorial’s President, Lord Stephen Taylor, invited him back to teach anatomy full time. In July of that year, he came back again, followed by his wife and children, who stayed in England until early August to pack up their farmhouse and find homes for their many dogs, cats, rabbits, and other pets.

The second course (starting, again, on September 1st and ending on October 9th) had, instead of 24 students, 48 registered students. With the increase of student enrollment, there was insufficient time to lecture and perform dissection demonstrations on cadavers, which Dr. Tomlinson routinely and carefully prepared the night before each class. Therefore, he invited an associate from London Hospital Medical College, Peter Kelly, to help with the dissections and some of the lecturing.

Throughout his career Dr. Tomlinson participated on numerous committees: curriculum committees and course committees, the library advisory committee (as chairman), the first and second year committees, the anatomy committee, the executive committee, the Senate, among others. From the vantage point of an administrator as well as physician, he noticed that the medical school was short-staffed, though everyone was very collegial. After discovering the school had no embryologist or endocrinologist, and despite his unfamiliarity with the subjects, Dr. Tomlinson researched, studied and taught the much-needed embryology and endocrine courses. He also taught neuroanatomy.

Dr. Tomlinson was key in establishing human anatomy as a subject of study in Newfoundland: he helped to design and set up the required laboratory facilities, develop curriculum, recruit and train faculty and technical personnel as well as help to devise legal foundations for anatomical procedures in the province. In 1971, the provincial government passed “An act respecting human tissue and the disposition of human bodies.” In 1974, Dr. Tomlinson taught the first class (a neuroanatomy course) in the new Health Sciences Centre Medical School.

As part of the curriculum, Dr. Tomlinson began making instructional dissection videotapes in the late 1970s to help with the teaching of core anatomy courses. Such tapes as Anatomy of the back of the lower limbs and sole of foot, 1976 and Anatomy of the heart, 1976 can still be found in the library today, along with an anthology of anatomical illustrations, The Fabric of the Body, which he co-authored with Dr. Kenneth Roberts.

Dr. Tomlinson received many awards and distinctions throughout his career, including the Killick Award in 1970 and had the honour of becoming the first recipient of the Silver Orator Award in 1987. In 1988, the university named him Professor of Surgical Anatomy and in 1991 the medical school’s first year class named him Teacher of the Year. After a very distinguished career, he retired from the medical school in 1991 and in October of 1992 was named professor emeritus, a distinction bestowed on faculty in recognition of outstanding scholarly work and contributions to the university community.

Flynn, Stephen

  • Person
  • 1850-1899

Stephen Flynn (1850-1899), Catholic priest, was born in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, on 25 January 1850, the son of Michael and Catherine (Fleming) Flynn. He trained for the priesthood from 1868 to 1874, and was ordained a priest in June 1875 in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Harbour Grace, by Enrico Carfagnini, Bishop of Harbour Grace.

Rev. Flynn served as pastor of St. Patrick's Parish, Carbonear (1876-79) and as the parish priest of the newly-established St. Anne's Parish, Fortune Harbour (1879-85). In July 1883, he visited Mi'kmaq communities along the northeast coast of Newfoundland with Bishop Ronald MacDonald, Harbour Grace. In 1885, Flynn was appointed the parish priest of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Little Bay, Notre Dame Bay, where he ministered from 1885 to 1899.

Rev. Flynn died on 14 August 1899 at Little Bay. He was buried in the priests' plot of the Catholic cemetery at Harbour Grace.

Lawson, Eric

  • Person
  • [19-]

Eric Lawson is the Maritime Historian of British Columbia and Manager of Ship Research Services of British Columbia. In 2000 he was appointed advisor and Canadian representative of the World Ship Trust. The Trust, based in England, promotes preservation of historic ships and their conservation, and supports organizations and individuals seeking to preserve such vessels and related artifacts.

Baikie, Margaret

  • Person
  • 1844-1940

Margaret (Campbell) Baikie (1844-1940), daughter of Daniel and Lydia Campbell, was born in Mulligan, Labrador on 6 May 1944. She married Thomas Baikie and had eight children. In 1917, when she was 73 years old, Margaret Baikie wrote about her memories of life in Labrador.

Sears, Thomas

  • Person
  • 1824-1885

Thomas Sears (1824-1885), Catholic priest, was born at Ventry, County Kerry, Ireland, in 1824. He immigrated to Nova Scotia with his parents at an early age and grew up in Antigonish County. Sears died at Antigonish on 7 November 1885 and is buried at Antigonish.

Sears was ordained a priest in 1855 for ministry in the Diocese of Arichat (later the Diocese of Antigonish). He was given a pastoral appointment on Cape Breton Island; during his stay he acquired a knowledge of Scottish Gaelic. He served as parish priest at St. Lawrence Parish, Mulgrave. In 1868 he responded to a plea for a Gaelic-speaking priest to serve in western Newfoundland.

Rev. Sears arrived in Newfoundland on 2 November 1868. His first ministry was in the Bay of Islands area, but he relocated to the Codroy Valley where there were many settlers from Cape Breton. He established a reputation as a tireless advocate of government recognition of settlement on a coast that was still adversely affected by the French Shore treaties. In 1870 Sears traveled to St. John's to meet Bishop Thomas Power. In that same year his name was presented to Pope Pius IX by Bishop Power for the office of Prefect Apostolic, St. George's (1870-85).

In 1873 Rev. Sears selected Stephenville as a site for a church and gave the town its name. He supervised the construction of St. Patrick's Church at Woody Point in 1875. In 1881 he visited Pope Leo XIII in Rome to report on the canonical state of the Prefecture of St. George's. He was named a Domestic Prelate by Pope Leo XIII on 11 February 1882, with the title of Monsignor. He organized his parishioners to provide free labour for the erection of ecclesiastical structures and the construction of public works, including roads and schools, particularly in the Codroy Valley. In 1883 St. Ann's Church was built at at Great Conroy River. He was a member of the Board of Trustees for St. Bonaventure's College in 1884.

In 1885, while on a visit to the South Boston area, Rev. Sears became ill and was hospitalized. Upon release from the hospital he attempted to return back to Newfoundland but died at Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

Bride, Thomas J.

  • Person
  • 1887-1951

Thomas J. Bride (1887-1951), Catholic priest, was born at St. John's, Newfoundland, on 23 August 1887, the son of Mary (Power) and William Bride. His mother was from Carrick-on-Suir, Ireland, and his father was originally from Brigus, Newfoundland. He died at St. Clare's Mercy Hospital, St. John's, on 25 April 1951 and was buried in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John's.

Bride attended St. Patrick's Hall School, St. John's, for his primary, elementary and high school education. He secured employment with the commercial firm of J. D. Ryan. Upon the death of his mother (1910) he lived with his grandparents in Ireland.

Bride began his studies for the priesthood in Ireland in 1911. He completed his philosophy studies at Mount Mellary, a boarding college for seminarians, under the direction of monks from the Cistercian Order. Bride studied theology at St. John's College, Waterford, where he was ordained a priest on 17 June 1917, by Bishop Bernard Hackett.

In 1918 Rev. Bride returned to Newfoundland and was appointed as the parish priest of St. Patrick's Parish, Burin (1918-24). He served as parish priest of St. Raphael's Parish and chaplain to Mount Cashel Orphanage, St. John's, holding these appointments until shortly before the time of his death in 1951.

Thomas, Arthur Harvey

  • Person
  • 1891-1960

Arthur Harvey Thomas (1891-1960), sports journalist, coach, and sports enthusiast, was born in Toronto on 15 March 1891, the son of Newfoundland-born parents, Charlotte and Edward Thomas. He married Violet Deir on 20 October 1932 and they had four children: Florence, Arthur, Carl, and Ruth. Thomas died on 20 December 1960.

The Thomas family returned to Newfoundland while Arthur was still young. Before he was two years old, he suffered a fall which broke his vertebrae and caused his height to be shorter than average. He attended the Methodist College, St. John's. Following graduation, Thomas was employed as clerk and court reporter in the legal firm of Conroy, Higgins & Hunt.

A member of the St. John's Rifle Club, Thomas was a noted marksman in competitive shoots. In 1914 he became an instructor in the use of firearms and trained volunteers in the First Newfoundland Regiment (later the Royal Newfoundland Regiment) before they were despatched overseas.

From the early 1920s until his death, Thomas was active in the local sports community. He was a sports journalist for the Evening Telegram (1927-1947), a member of the St. John's Regatta Committee, and manager for the Guards Athletic Association baseball and track and field (athletics) programs. He coached Jack Bell, Newfoundland's long distance champion of the early 1920s. Thomas was also an avid curler and billiard player. In 1947 he promoted the revival of city baseball and the development of St. Pat's ball field.

Thomas was also active in the George Street United Church choir and he sang with the winning choir in a competition in 1933.

Thomas was inducted into the Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame in 1980 and into the Basketball Newfoundland Hall of Fame as a builder in 1984.

Leach, MacEdward

  • Person
  • [19-]

Leach edited standard editions of the romances Amis and Amiloun (1937) and Paris and Vienne (1957) as well as The Ballad Book (1955), The Critics and the Ballad (1961) with Tristram Potter Coffin and Folk Ballads and Songs of the Labrador Coast (1965). Just before he died, he completed the revised ballad bibliography for Wells's "Manual of the writings in Middle English, 1050-1400". Leach was dedicated to folklore and its development as an academic discipline, and expended much energy on behalf of the American Folklore Society and its operations. From 1943 to 1960 Leach was Secretary-Treasurer of the Society and from 1960 to 1962, its President. During this time he almost single-handedly nurtured that organisation from near collapse to vigour, encouraging local societies as a foundation for the national one, inaugurating the Bibliographical and Special Series to generate revenue and giving his time whenever needed.

As early as 1949, and throughout his career, Leach collected folksongs, ballads, and instrumental folk music in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Jamaica, and the Southern Mountains of the United States. In fact, he made several trips to Newfoundland during which he collected more than 600 songs and other folklore. Leach's first wife was Alice May Doan (Maria Leach), with whom he had a son, Donald; his second was Nancy Rafetto, with whom he had also a son, Douglas.

Results 21 to 30 of 387