Showing 342 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Anglican Parish of St. Nicholas, Ivanhoe, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1926-1964

Ivanhoe and Traytown are two resettled community on the island of Ireland’s Eye in Trinity Bay, in the Parish of Trinity. A meeting of the residents was held May 1,1926, respecting the erection of a church for their communities. Those present voted to have a church “central between Ivanhoe and Traytown”. Permission was granted by the Diocesan Synod and the site across the road from the school was selected. Plans were drawn up by the Rector of the Parish, Rev. E. P. Hiscock, and approved by Synod.

The church was completed by June 1929, and consecrated later that year. The communities were resettled under the provincial government program in the 1960s. The final recorded congregational meeting was held in 1964. There was no reference to the impending closing of the church, but the lay reader, Mr. Cecil King referred to people “going away from the place they once loved so dearly”. By 1966 the resettlement of the community was complete.

Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1729-

The Anglican Congregation at Trinity dates back over 270 years. The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick established the first mission at Trinity in 1729, and it is generally thought that the first church was built at that time. On May 23rd, 1820 the pillars of a new church were laid. This church, similar in design to many English churches of the time, had an upstairs gallery and could seat over 600 people.

The present church was built in 1892. It was designed by American architect Stephen C. Earle and built by master builder Caleb Marshall. Two other churches of the same design are at Digby and Windsor, Nova Scotia. The church serves as the mother church of the Parish of Trinity.

Anglican Parish of St. Peter's, Upper Gullies

  • Corporate body
  • 1876 -

St. Peter's, Upper Gullies is the oldest church on Conception Bay South. Historically part of the Missions of South Shore Conception Bay and Foxtrap, the congregation began meeting in Hopewell Church, located near the current St. Peter's in 1876. AS the number of settlers in the area grew, so did the congregation. By 1898 it was clear to both clergy and people that a new place of worship was needed. On July 20,1905 the cornerstone was laid and on November 16,1909 the newly named St. Peter's Church was consecrated.

St. Peter's officially became an independent parish of the Anglican Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador on September 26,1976. The Parish Hall Annex was completed in November 1980, giving St. Peter's it current form. In 2003, the church and adjoining cemetery were designated heritage properties by the Town of Conception Bay South

Anglican Parish of St. Philip's, Moreton's Harbour

  • Corporate body
  • 1841 - 1861

The parish was created in 1841 from part of the Parish of Twillingate. It included Tizzard's Harbour. The parish was reabsorbed into the current Parish of Twillingate.

Anglican Parish of St. Philip's, St. Philip's, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1894 -

The Anglican Church of St.Philips's was consecrated on 20 November 1894. The Parish was once part of the Parish of Portugal Cove but in 1986 was created a separate parish. This church was in need of great repair and the decision was made to build a new church.

Anglican Parish of St. Thomas, St. John's, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1836 -

St. Thomas' Church dates back to the year 1836, when the need was felt for a second Anglican Church in St. John's to service the growing population in the east end of the city. An early painting of St. John's shows the original St. Thomas' as a little church with a prominent tower. This tower is still part of the present church. The church was used as a garrison church by the British soldiers stationed in St. John's until the late 1870s, which led to its nickname, "The Old Garrison Church".
The church escaped the ravages of the great fire which destroyed much of the town in 1846. A change in the wind direction caused the fire to veer off in another direction. The same year, a violent storm is said to have moved the whole building six inches. In an effort to stabilize the structure, the wings, which characterize the present building, were added five years later. In 1874, the increase in the number of parishioners led to the lengthening of the church by thirty feet. The church was again enlarged in 1883 by extending the chancel and adding a vestry and additional space for the organ. The last alteration to the building was made in 1903, when the chancel was again lengthened to provide seating accommodation for over 1300 people. A second great fire in 1892 led to the destruction of the Cathedral but again St. Thomas' was miraculously saved, though most of the city was destroyed.
In the late 1800s, Canon Wood Church Hall was built next to the church to provide an area for meetings and gatherings. Later, a school was built between the Hall and the Church (1927). In 1966 the Church Hall was destroyed in a fire and in 1974 when the St. Thomas' School was closed the building became the "new" Canon Wood Hall.
In 1922, in an area beneath the church, a space was dug out by hand for a small chapel for the Brotherhood of St. Andrew's, a men's service group. This chapel was restored and re-dedicated in 1982.

Anglican Parish of Trinity

  • Corporate body
  • 1729-

The Anglican Mission at Trinity dates back to the early 18th century. In 1729, at the request of the
people of Trinity and surrounding areas, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign
Parts sent The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick to establish a mission at Trinity. A church was built soon
after his arrival. The records of births, marriages and burials of the parish began in 1753 and
included communities throughout Trinity Bay. In 1825 Newfoundland became part of the See of
Nova Scotia and in 1839 Bishop Spencer became the first Bishop of the See of Newfoundland. In
the early 1870s the parish of Trinity included communities from English Harbour to British Harbour
including Ireland’s Eye, but by the middle of the decade, a separate parish was established at Trinity
East. Many of the communities that made up the parish were resettled under the provincial
government resettlement program of the 1960s. In 1971 the parish of Trinity combined with the
parish of Trinity East-Port Rexton. This arrangement lasted for a decade and in 1981 the parishes
separated along traditional lines. From 1981 to the present time the parish of Trinity has included
all the communities from Trinity to New Bonaventure.

Anglican Parish of Trinity. Board of Education

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-1958

The Trinity Church of England School Board was formed c.1883, for the purpose of administering the schools of the Parish of Trinity. Schools which came under the jurisdiction of the Board were at Trinity, Lockston, Goose Cove, Dunfield, Trouty, Spaniard’s Cove, Old Bonaventure, New Bonaventure, Kerley’s Harbour, British Harbour, Delby’s Cove and Little
Harbour, Ireland’s Eye and Traytown and Ivanhoe.

School Boards were established as a result of the Education Act of 1876 which stated that schools would be administered by local denominational boards under the supervision of superintendents. The 1876 Act consolidated previous legislation, under which the government’s education grant was divided equally between the Protestant and Roman Catholic church for the administration of schools. Denominational education was entrenched under Term 17 of the Terms of Union in 1949, which confirmed the right of Churches to own and operate their own schools.

The school boards came directly under the Parish, the rector serving as chair of the Board for the parish. The Boards were responsible for organizing elementary education within their district. They built and maintained the school buildings, hired the teachers, maintained the accounts, conducted regular meetings, and made regular reports to the superintendent.

From 1962 to 1969 Trinity and Trinity East - Port Rexton Boards were combined and came under one administration. In 1969 all the Protestant denominations in Newfoundland amalgamated, reducing the number of boards from 229 to 22. The school board for the whole region has since been headquartered in Clarenville.

Source: Minutes of the board; Newfoundland Education Act 1876; Trinity-Port Rexton Board of Education Minutes.

Anglican Parish of Upper Island Cove

  • Corporate body
  • 1815 -

The Parish of Upper Island Cove is made up of three congregations. St. Peter's, Upper Island Cove; St. John the Evangelist, Bishop's Cove; and St. Andrew's, Bryant's Cove. The Parish dates to 1815 when construction began on the first church building at Upper Island Cove.

Results 31 to 40 of 342