Affichage de 1086 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Joan Stedman

  • Personne

Joan Stedman, originally from England, worked as a nurse in Labrador, including Cartwright and Mary's Harbour. After completing her work in Labrador, Joan Stedman returned to Burnham-on-sea, England

Lester-Garland

  • Famille
  • [18-]

The Lester-Garland family, an English-based merchant family, was involved in the Newfoundland fish trade in the second half of the eighteenth century, with primary headquarters in Poole (England) and Trinity (Newfoundland). Like many businesses of the time, the Lester-Garland familial ties were reflected in the Lester-Garland enterprises. The principals in the Lester-Garland family were Benjamin Lester (1724-1802), brother Isaac Garland (1718-1778), son John Lester (d. 1805), son-in-law George Garland (1753-1825), grandsons Benjamin Garland (later Benjamin Lester, died), George Garland Jr. (d.) and John Bingley Garland (1791-1875).

Benjamin Lester (1724-1802) was born in Poole, Dorset, the son of Rachael (Taverner) and Francis Lester. His mother, Rachel, was the daughter of William Tavernor, Bay de Verde (Newfoundland) and his father, a former mayor of Poole, was involved in the Newfoundland trade. Lester married his cousin Susannah, daughter of Jacob Taverner (Trinity). He had six children, including one son, John, who survived him.

Following the death of his father (1737), Benjamin Lester relocated to Newfoundland where he was employed by his uncle, John Masters, a Poole-Newfoundland merchant, and Irish partner Michael Ballard. Lester became an agent for Masters at Trinity. By 1748, he was himself a leading planter and merchant, having received the substantial Trinity fishing premises, "Taverners" from his father-in-law. By the early 1760s, Lester and his brother Isaac were in partnership: Benjamin purchased Newfoundland codfish from planters and fishermen whom he also supplied with fishing gear and provisions; Isaac managed the Poole end of the enterprise by securing vessels, shipping supplies and fishing servants to Newfoundland and marketing incoming cargoes of Newfoundland fish, oil and pelts.

Benjamin Lester returned to Poole in 1767, but he continued to visit Trinity regularly to direct the company's Newfoundland operations. By the early 1770s, the Lesters owned an ocean-going fleet of 12 vessels and established mercantile premises at Trinity, Bonavista, Greenspond, and Tilting. They constructed vessels at Trinity and New Harbour, Trinity Bay, and became involved in the offshore fishery on the Grand Banks as well as the salmon fishery and the cod fishery along the French Shore and the Labrador coast. They also employed large numbers of men in cutting wood, trapping furs, and sealing.

After the death of Isaac Lester in 1778, Benjamin Lester continued the Poole-Newfoundland operations. By 1793, he owned 20 ships, the largest fleet operated by an English-Newfoundland merchant in the eighteenth century. He also accumulated substantial property in Poole, including Mansion House, Stone Cottage and two country estates.

One of the major concerns of Benjamin Lester was the continuation of his company as a family business under the Garland name. Son John had little interest in the Newfoundland trade and no male heirs. Daughter Amy married George Garland (1753-1825), who was employed as Lester's counting-house manager in Poole. As Lester became increasingly involved in British politics in the 1780s and 1790s, Garland assumed more direct responsibility for the trade. By his will, Benjamin Lester left the Newfoundland trade in half shares to his only son John Lester and to George Garland, to be operated as Benjamin Lester and Company. He also arranged that much of his Poole property should go to his eldest grandson, Benjamin Lester Garland (1779-1839), on condition that he would take the Lester surname. Benjamin Lester Garland changed his surname to Lester and received his inheritance, but took no interest in the Newfoundland trade. The firm Benjamin Lester & Company continued until the death of John Lester in 1805 when George Garland assumed control. In 1819, Benjamin Lester was replaced in the firm by his brothers, George Jr. and John Bingley Garland (1791-1875), first Speaker for the Newfoundland House of Assembly.

Sons George Garland Jr. and John Bingley Garland were sent to Trinity to manage the company's Newfoundland assets. In 1821 John returned to Poole where he managed the Poole headquarters until his return to Newfoundland in 1832. Following the retirement of his father (1822) and the departure of George Jr. from the family business (1830) and his death without heir, John Bingley Garland became sole proprietor. He established a partnership with St. John's merchants George R. Robinson and Thomas Brooking. He returned again to Poole following a brief political career, and dissolved his partnership with Robinson and Brooking. The Garland premises at Trinity operated under a variety of names until 1906 when it was purchased by Ryan Brothers (Bonavista).

Oke (family)

  • Famille
  • 1833-1968

The Oke family documented in the fonds are the descendents of lighthouse builder and inspector Robert Oke, an English immigrant who had initially been employed at Burin by the Slade mercantile firm. The Oke family established several family businesses in Harbour Grace and in St. John's.

William Robert Oke (1833-1894), son of Robert Oake, established Oke's Carriage Factory and Undertaking Rooms in Harbour Grace in 1856; the business was relocated to Duckworth Street, St. John's. Four of Oke's sons were involved in the business: Robert Kammay, John Carnell, William Carnell, and Edward Landgon; the name of the firm was changed to William R. Oke & Sons, Builders (1885) to reflect their involvement. William R. Oke & Sons constructed carraiges, wheelbarrows, cartwheels and caskets.

Following the St. John's Great Fire (1892), the factory, which was uninsured, was completely destroyed. A son, John Carnell Oke, reestablished the business on Prescott Street as John C. Oke & Sons, later renamed Oke's Carriage Factory (ca. 1900). Gordon Jeans Oke, son of J.C. Oke, entered the business as a partner in 1906 and assumed full control of the firm in 1931.

After World War II, the Oke family phased out carriage production, although the coffin factory remained in operation until 1968. In 1968, following 62 years in the trade, Gordon Oke retired and the business closed.

Manuel (family: Exploits, N.L.)

  • Famille
  • [176-]-

The community of Exploits was initially settled by Europeans in the mid- to the late-eighteenth century. The settlers were attracted by a thriving fishery which they supplemented by sealing. The first census (1836) reported a resident population of 220.

In 1857 there were two merchant families operating out of Exploits: the Manuels and the Winsors. By the end of the 1880s, the Manuel family became involved with the export of Exploits fish to Portugal and Spain.

In the mid to late twentieth century, the community of Exploits has been virtually abandoned. Just two residents remain. The Manuel family has remained prominent in other areas of Newfoundland.

Knight, William

  • Famille
  • 1722-1843

William Knight (1722-1799) and his son Benjamin Knight (1767-1843) were shoremen from Marblehead, Massachusetts, who were involved in the deep sea cod fishery. In addition to owning several schooners, the family outfitted voyages from their waterfront chandlery, retailed provisions and dry goods to fishing families, and kept a flakeyard in Marblehead where they employed retired mariners to dry the cod from their vessels. William conducted the business until his death in 1799, when it passed to his son Benjamin, who operated it through to 1833.

Harris, Lottie and George C. (Grand Bank, N.L.)

  • Famille
  • 1879-1954

George Chesley Harris (1879-1954), businessman, politician, was born in Grand Bank, Newfoundland, on 14 July 1879, the eldest son of Mary (Forsey) and Samuel Harris, a Grand Bank vessel owner, captain and merchant. On 11 June 1904, Harris married Charlotte (Lottie) Pitts Pratt (1884-1954), an artist and music instructor. Lottie and George had one child who died shortly after birth. They were, however, very close to the children of George's sister, Eleanor (Harris) Carr. George C. Harris died on 28 Jan. 1954. Wife Lottie died in the same year, on 8 Sept. 1954.

Harris was educated at the Methodist Academy, Grand Bank. Following graduation, he attended Mount Allison Academy and Commercial College in Sackville, New Brunswick, where he completed commercial courses. After his return to Newfoundland, he joined his father's mercantile firm, Samuel Harris Ltd., and managed a branch of the business in Marystown. An interesting aside: In 1881, George's father, Samuel Harris, had taken his 70-ton schooner, named George C. Harris in honour of his son, to the Grand Banks fishery, a venture which led eventually to the establishment of the successful fishing enterprise.

In 1914, George became the managing director of Samuel Harris Export Company. The Harris family was the most active of the Grand Banks merchants investing in the construction of fishing schooners. Between 1910 and 1920 the following schooners, commonly called the fleet of the "Generals" were built for the Harris' enterprises: Dorothy Louise (Allendale, N.S., 1910), General Maude (Shelburne, N.S., 1917), Roberta Ray (Grand Bank, 1917), Carl Tibbo (Grand Bank, 1918), General Byng (Marystown, 1918), General Currie (Grand Bank, 1918), General Smuts (Shelburne 1918), General Allenby (Grand Bank, 1918), General Horne (Shelburne, 1919), General Jacobs (Shelburne, 1919), General Knox (Marystown, 1919), General Plummer (Allendale, 1919), General Ironsides (Grand Bank, 1920), General Trenchard (Allendale, 1920), General Rawlinson (Marystown, 1920).

Under the direction of George Harris, the company quickly expanded to other communities on the Burin Peninsula, Hermitage (South Coast) and Change Islands (Notre Dame Bay). While initially this expansion was a successful move for the company, poor market conditions and new fishing regulations by the government soon proved that the rapid expansion had been unwise. In 1923, the firm declared bankruptcy, then considered the largest bankruptcy in the Dominion of Newfoundland. The firm was taken over by a consortium of creditors, including the Bank of Nova Scotia, who renamed it the Samuel Harris Export Company and appointed George Harris' brother-in-law and former bank manager, Percival Carr, as its managing director. In the 1930s, it was restructured as the Grand Bank Fisheries.

With the help of his brother-in law, Percy Carr, George did not lose the Harris home. He worked in another company created by his father, Western Marine Insurance Company, and, in time, became its president. George attributed the loss of the family export company to the fishing regulations introduced by the Squires-Coaker coalition government, rather than to international economic conditions. As a result, he entered politics and was elected to the House of Assembly in 1923 as a supporter of John R. Bennett's opposition Liberal-Labour-Progressive party, which - despite its name - represented a coalition of conservative and dissident interests. The following year, Albert E. Hickman, George's cousin, became prime minister of Newfoundland and George switched parties in order to support Hickman. Following political defeat in the 1924 election, Harris became a strong supporter of Confederation and acted as the chief returning officer (1949, 1953) for the federal riding of Burin-Burgeo. He also served on the boards of the local Methodist church and the Grand Bank hospital.

Wife Charlotte (Lottie) Pitts Pratt (1884-1954), an artist and music instructor, was the daughter of a Methodist minister, the Rev. John Pratt. Her brother, Edwin J. Pratt (1882-1964) became a renowned Canadian poet, professor and critic. Nephew, John Christopher Pratt (1935- ) is a painter and printmaker with an international reputation.

Lottie's family moved to various communities in Newfoundland due to her father's career in the ministry. She received her early education at St. John's (where she had musical training), Fortune and Bay Roberts. After Lottie married George, she taught piano and voice lessons in Grand Bank and sang in the Methodist choir and community concerts. Aside from music, Lottie was also an accomplished artist and gave many of her watercolour paintings to friends. Throughout her married life Lottie was involved with her church and charitable organizations. She hosted card games and tea parties to raise money for such organizations as the Frazer Guild and the Woman's Patriotic Association.

In 1908, four years following their marriage, Samuel Harris built a house for the couple as a wedding gift. A three-storeyed Queen Anne style dwelling, the Harris House became a Registered Heritage Structure in May 1993 and received a Sothcott Award for restoration in 1996.

Lyall Family

  • Famille

Ernest Wilson Lyall, who is the author of; 'An Artic Man' was born in 1910 at Island Harbour on the Labrador Coast. One Year later his family moved to Port Burell, NMT. He joined the Hudsons Bay Company in 1927 and over the next nine years was posted in Cape Smith, Port Burwell Pond Inlet, and Artic Bay where he met his wife Nipisha. They lived in Fort Ross between 1937 and 1949 when they moved to Spence Bay. The Lyalls have lived there since raising eleven children. Ernie and Nipisha Lyall were presented with the Commissioners Award on August 8, 1979, to honor the roles that they had played as energetic, progressive leaders in their community.

Parish of Trinity East-Port Rexton

  • Collectivité
  • [187-]-

Until the end of the 19th century the present Parish of Port Rexton was part of the Mission of Trinity. The first churches in the area were St. Barnabas, built at Salmon Cove East (now Champney’s East) in 1829, St. Silas at English Harbour, built in 1843, and Christ’s Church, which was built between the communities of Ship Cove, Robin Hood and Trinity East in 1859.

The Parish of Trinity East was established as a separate parish during the 1870s and a school board for the parish, under the name of Trinity North, was formed by 1880. In 1911 the communities of Robin Hood and Ship Cove joined to form the community of Port Rexton and Christ’s Church became the home of the congregation of that community. The people of Trinity East formed a committee in 1910 to arrange the building of a new church in their community. The Church of St. Andrew’s was built at Trinity East by David Marshall of Bonavista Bay, and consecrated in 1912.

The Trinity East Parish council was formed in 1934 by the Rector of the Parish, the Rev. Frank Hollands. Two congregations of the parish made up the first Council; St. Andrew’s Congregation, Trinity East and Christ Church Congregation, Port Rexton. The following year the congregations of Champney’s East, Champney’s West and English Harbour joined the council. Christ Church, Port Rexton was rebuilt at a new location and consecrated in 1950. After that time the parish became known as Trinity East-Port
Rexton.

In 1971, by order of the Bishop, the parish amalgamated with that of Trinity for a trial period of not less than two years. The arrangement lasted for ten years, after which time the parishes reverted to their former status. The church of St. Andrew’s burned to the ground in 1979, and a new church was built the following year. The present parish extends from Trinity East to English Harbour, and includes All Saint’s Church, English Harbour; St. Nicholas Church, Champney’s East; St. Clement’s, Champney’s West; Christ Church, Port Rexton; and St. Andrew’s Church, Trinity East.

St. John's Football League

  • Collectivité
  • 1896-

Organized football, also called soccer, began in Newfoundland in the mid-nineteenth century, but it was not until 1896 that a permanent League was formed for the promotion of what one enthusiast repeatedly referred to as "our national game". The Newfoundland Football League was established on 15 March 1896 with a roster of seven St. John's teams including the Star of the Sea, the CLB, the CEI, the Methodist Institute, the Saints, the Rovers and the KAC. Games were originally played on the Llewellyn Grounds: after 1899 the League shifted its operations to St. George's Field. The League operated continuously until 1940, when activities were suspended for the duration of the war. In 1945 the League was reactivated, playing on the Ayre Athletic Grounds. A junior league of the Newfoundland Football League was formed in 1923. It was active from 1923-1928, again from 1932-1940 and, like its parent League, was reactivated in 1945.

In 1949, recognizing that their activities were confined to St. John's and that active football clubs were developing elsewhere in the province, the League adopted a new constitution, changing its name at that time to the St. John's Football League. At that time the League affiliated itself with the newly-formed Newfoundland Amateur Football Association (later the Newfoundland Minor Soccer Association). Further revision of the constitution in 1960 gave authority over League activities to the League executive, eliminating the need for extensive consultations on policy, scheduling and planning with representatives of every member team.

By 1977 the League was referred to as the St. John's Amateur Soccer League and appears to have had junior and senior divisions. In 2000 the Newfoundland Soccer Association lists the St. John's Minor Soccer Association as a member organization.

Agnes Pratt Home

  • Collectivité
  • 1954 -

The Agnes Pratt Home is a senior citizens’ complex, owned and operated by the United Church of Canada, Newfoundland & Labrador Conference as part of the Division of Mission program in Newfoundland. It was during discussions at a Conference meeting in 1954 that the purpose of the home was established - to provide a living environment for residents who were capable of independent living in a group home setting, who were ambulatory and did not require nursing care. The home was officially opened on Sept.7, 1958.

This home was a pioneer in Newfoundland and Labrador in recognizing the need for special services for senior citizens. It quickly became apparent that there was a need for on-site supervision of nursing care, and in 1972, an extension to the home included a 16-bed nursing unit. This addition provided for the temporary, episodic and intermediate types of care. At this point the Agnes Pratt Home became able to accept persons eligible for funding under the Department of Social Services, Services to Senior Citizens Division.

In 1977, a proposal for more comprehensive services for the Home and the community was presented to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, funding agency of the Federal Government, and the Department of Social Services of the Provincial Government. Between 1977 and 1986, the Home had updated its proposal several times to meet the changing need of its residents and the community. In 1986, federal funding of the latest proposal for the construction of additional facilities was announced.

The Home was incorporated in 1979 and operates under a Memorandum of Association in accordance with the Companies Act under the Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1970. The home is cognizant of, and adheres to the following main Legislative Acts to the best of its ability and resources: The Private Homes for Special Care Act, The Welfare Institutions Licensing Act, and The Public Service Collective Bargaining Act. Any other applicable acts or regulations of Federal, Provincial or Municipal governments, as they apply to the proper operation of the Home, are followed.

The Agnes Pratt Home is operated by a Board of Directors appointed annually and approved by Conference at each annual meeting.

In 1996, as a result of the continuing assessment of needs in the area of care of seniors, the St. John’s Nursing Home Board (SJNHB) was established. Its purpose is to “enhance quality resident care while achieving efficiencies within the reformed regionalized healthcare system”. The Board is responsible for six homes within the St John’s area, with the Agnes Pratt Home being one of these homes. The partnership of these homes “comprises a range of operational agreements including Memoranda of Understanding, a Governance Agreement, and direct operational authority”.

The SJNHB is accountable to the Department of Health and Community Services and is responsible for policy direction of the nursing homes and the development and evaluation of standards of practice based on the Resident-Centred Care philosophy.

Résultats 31 à 40 sur 1086