Showing 387 results

Authority record
Person

O'Neill, Jeremiah

  • Person
  • 1802-1861

Jeremiah O'Neill (1802-1861), a Catholic priest, was born in Bansha, Ireland in 1802. He died at Trepassey on 6 July 1861. His first burial site was beneath the floor of the old church in Trepassey, but later, when a new church was built his body was interred in the priests' plot in the parish cemetery.

Relatively little is documented about his early life but it is known that he entered St. John's College, Waterford, as a teenager. O'Neill completed his studies for the priesthood in Paris, France, in the 1800's, and was imprisoned as an ecclesiastic by the Revolutionary Authorities who had taken over control of the country. He suffered for the Faith during the worst times of tumult in France. O'Neill was ordained a priest circa 1828. He was one of a group of four (along with John Cullen, James Gleeson and Matthew Scanlan) who responded to a plea by Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming, St. John's, for volunteers for the Newfoundland mission. The four were ordained together in Holy Trinity Cathedral, Waterford, by Bishop Foran in 1842 and sailed almost directly for St. John's.

O'Neill came to work in the Vicariate of Newfoundland at the invitation of Thomas Scallan, Vicar Apostolic. He was appointed the first parish priest of Holy Redeemer Parish, Trepassey in 1843, where he laboured for eighteen years.

Curwen, George

  • Person
  • 1610-1685

Captain George Curwen (1610-1685) was born in Sibbertoft, England, and emigrated to Massachusetts in 1638. Settling at Salem, Essex County, he quickly established himself as a prominent local merchant, provisioning farmers, townsmen, and fishermen. By his death in 1685, he had accumulated one of the largest fortunes in New England.

Captain Curwen's business involved outfitting fishing companies and partnering with independent fishermen, advancing provisions in return for a portion of the catch. He also dealt with smaller outfitters, providing them with wholesale goods that they retailed to their fishermen. As well, Curwen played an important role in the offshore fishery and in the fish export trade to Spain and the West Indies.

Conroy, George

  • Person
  • 1833-1878

George Conroy (1833-1878), Papal Delegate to Canada and Newfoundland, was born in 1833 at Dundalk, Ireland. He died in Newfoundland on 4 August 1878.

Conroy was educated in Ireland and in Rome. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1857. He did parochial work in Ireland and served as secretary to Cardinal Paul Cullen in Rome. He was consecrated Bishop of Ardagh in 1871. In 1877, Pope Pius IX appointed Rev. Conroy as Apostolic Delegate to Canada. The following year, Bishop Conroy was appointed the first Apostolic Delegate to Newfoundland by Pope Leo XIII, with a special assignment as conciliator to the Harbour Grace Diocese, where factional disputes were causing problems for Bishop Enrico Carfagnini.

Bishop Conroy arrived in St. John's, Newfoundland, on 26 June 1878. Two weeks later, he developed a lung inflammation and died on 4 August 1878. His remains were conveyed to Ireland for burial on board the steamer Caspian, which departed St. John's on 8 August 1878.

McKie, Lady Phyllis

  • Person
  • d.1983

Phyllis Ross (d.1983), later Lady McKie, Canadian photographer and researcher, was the daughter of John Wardrope Ross, a Montreal businessman. In 1929 she married Gerald Walker Birks, of Henry Birks & Sons, Montreal. In 1956 she married Sir William Neil McKie (1901-1984), an internationally renowned musician who was Organist and Master of the Choristers at Westminster Abbey from 1941. They had no children. Lady McKie died 12 January 1983.

Ross was greatly interested in many facets of the culture of other countries, particularly relating to the sea. She spent much time in England and Norway researching her interests in archives, museums and libraries, taking advantage of travel with her husband to extend this knowledge. As a photographer, she developed, edited and enlarged her own work, and had it displayed in several exhibitions. Her published work included The Seaflower Venture, the life story of Charles Robin. Following her husband's retirement, they moved to Ottawa, where Lady McKie died in 1983.

Ryan, James F.

  • Person
  • 1866-1893

James F. Ryan (1866-1893), Catholic priest, was born at Harbour Grace (Baccalieu), Newfoundland, on 28 August 1866, the son of Anne (Fowlow) and John Ryan. He died at Harbour Grace on 17 April 1893 and is buried in the priests' plot in the Catholic cemetery at Harbour Grace.

Ryan was ordained a priest on 1 November 1889. Ryan's first appointment was as a curate in St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, King's Cove, Bonavista Bay (1890-91) under the direction of William Veitch, parish priest.

Ryan, John

  • Person
  • 1843-1908

John Ryan (1843-1908), Catholic priest, was born in the Parish of Dovay, County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1843. He died at St. John's on 27 September 1908.

Ryan was educated in Thurles College and Mount Mellray, a boarding college for candidates to the priesthood under the direction of the Cistercian Monks. He attended All Hallows College, Dublin, where he completed his studies with a doctorate degree in theology.

Ryan arrived in Newfoundland in October 1865 at the invitation of John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, on 2 February 1866 by Bishop Mullock. His first appointments were as a curate in the following parishes: Assumption Parish, St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay (1866-71), and Holy Rosary Parish, Argentia (1871-73). In 1873 Rev. Ryan was selected as the parish priest at St. Patrick's Parish, St. John's (1873-1908), where he was serving at the time of his death. For many years Rev. Ryan was a member of the Board of Trustees of St. Bonaventure's College.

O'Brien, Patrick

  • Person
  • 1859-1940

Patrick O'Brien (1859-1940), Catholic priest, was born at Bay Bulls, Newfoundland, on 24 November 1859, the son of Agnes (O'Driscoll) and Richard O'Brien. He died at Bay Bulls on 26 February 1940. He was buried in a private plot near the Church in Bay Bulls.

O'Brien attended the local parish schools in Whittle's Bay and completed his high school education at St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's (1876-80), thus qualifying for the teaching profession. O'Brien taught school at St. Jacques, Fortune Bay, and in several other communities (1880-86). In 1886 he returned to St. Bonaventure's College and began a two-year course of studies in preparation for the priesthood. He proceeded to All Hallows College, Dublin, Ireland, to complete his theological studies. O'Brien was ordained a priest in All Hallows College Chapel on 24 June 1890, returning to St. John's shortly afterwards.

Between 1890 and 1902 Rev. O'Brien served as curate in the following parishes: the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist (St. John's), St. Michael's Parish (Bell Island) and St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's). he was appointed curate in St. Patrick's Parish, Whittle's Bay, with residence in Mobile (1902-08) and was transferred to Tors Cove in 1908-14. Following the death of Dean Nicholas Roche, Rev. O'Brien was appointed as the parish priest of St. Patrick's Parish, Whittle's Bay (1914-24). When St. Patrick's Parish was divided in 1924, O'Brien was appointed as the first parish priest of St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, Bay Bulls (1924-40).

O'Brien was a yacht builder and invented an improved ship's hull, a design patented in both Canada and America. He received, a diplomas from Paris, for his contributions in marine matters.

Anderson, Hugh Abercrombie

  • Person
  • 1890-1965

Hugh Abercrombie Anderson (1890-1965), playwright and theatre manager, was born in St. John's, Newfoundland on 10 February 1890, the son of Amelia (Murray) and John Anderson, a prominent local businessman and politician. He died at his home at Forest Hills Inn, Queens, New York on 9 November 1965.

Anderson attended Bishop Feild College, St. John's, followed by additional education at the Edinburgh Academy (Scotland). He also spent time in Switzerland and France. After completing his tour of Europe he returned to St. John's and joined his father's business.

Anderson joined the First Newfoundland Regiment (later the Royal Newfoundland Regiment) in 1915. A medical problem, however, prevented him from seeing service at the front so he worked in the Pay and Records Office in London. In 1917 he was promoted to Lieutenant and in 1918 to Captain. In 1919 he was awarded a certificate as a Member of the British Empire for his war service. Anderson was one of only nine members of the Regiments to be so honoured.

Anderson returned to St. John's and his father's business in 1919 but quickly became restless. In 1921 he decided to join his older brother John who was involved in the New York theatre scene and with motion pictures. In time, Hugh became John's business manager and associate producer. Together, they collaborated on twenty-nine major Broadway musicals.

Anderson also wrote a great deal, penning plays of his own as well as tailoring those of others for the stage. In 1954 his largest work, a biography of his brother John Murray Anderson was published. Anderson spent the remainder of his life in New York but returned to St. John's for visits from time to time.

Horwood, Harold Andrew

  • Person
  • 1923-

Harold Andrew Horwood (1923-), writer, journalist, politician, social activist, was born at St. John's 2 November 1923, son of Vina (Maidment) and Andrew Horwood. He married Cornelia (Lindesmith) (Cohen); they had two children, Andrew and Leah.

Upon graduation from Prince of Wales College, Horwood was employed as a longshoreman. It was during this period that Horwood became involved in the labour movement; in 1946, He organized the Labourers' and General Workers' Protective Union and served as President. He was the organizer for the Newfoundland Federation of Labour from 1946-1948. Horwood next became involved in the pro-Confederation campaign, and served from 1949-1951 as Liberal MHA for Labrador. He was a reporter, columnist and editor for the Evening Telegram from 1952-1958, before he resigned to write full-time. By the early 1950s Horwood was an outspoken critic of J. R. Smallwood. He was the founding vice-chair of The Writers' Union of Canada and chair, (1980-81), and founded the literary journal; The New Quarterly (1980-81).

A prolific writer, Horwood published over twenty-five books, including fiction (Tomorrow Will Be Sunday ; White Eskimo; Beyond The Road ), the travel book, Newfoundland, collections of short stories (Only The Gods Speak), biographies (Bartlett, the Great Explorer, The Foxes of Beachy Cove), poetry (Cycle of the Sun), and two volumes of memoirs (A Walk in the Dream Time, and Among the Lions), as well as numerous articles. Several of his works have won literary awards; Horwood was also awarded the Order of Canada in 1979.

Cooper, Georgiana

  • Person
  • 1885-1980

Georgiana Cooper (1885-1980), writer, painter, nurse, was born on 22 March 1885 at Inglewood Forest, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland. She was the daughter of Roxana (Stowe) and Thomas Henry Cooper. At the age of 10, the Cooper family moved to Random Head, Random Island, Newfoundland, where Georgiana's father had been appointed as the lighthouse keeper. She died at St. Luke's Nursing Home, St. John's, on 1 April 1980 at the age of 95.

Cooper achieved critical acclaim for her writings and paintings late in life but her creativity and intelligence was apparent from a very young age. Most of her education was carried out at home with the help of a governess. After completing high school in this manner, Cooper studied bookkeeping and business at the Convent of Our Lady of Mercy, St. John's. She worked as an office clerk and later as the matron of the Methodist Orphanage. During World War I she served as superintendent of a convalescing nursing home for injured servicemen. In 1920 at the age of 35, she graduated from the General Hospital School of Nursing.

After the nursing home closed, Cooper moved to Boston to begin post graduate work in nursing. Suffering from tuberculosis, she returned to St. John's where she entered the Sanatorium for treatment. It was during her illness that she wrote many of her poems, including "Evening at the Sanatorium."

For the rest of her life, Cooper was frail. Unable to continue nursing, she went to live with her sister Mina who operated a small boarding house on Parade Street. Cooper spent much of the 1930s painting watercolors, which were shown in the Newfoundland Art Club's exhibits. She continued to write as well, with her poems and short stories appearing in The Daily News, The Evening Telegram and The Newfoundland Quarterly, among others. In 1944, she won the O'Leary Prize for poetry with her poem "The Deserted Island."

In 1971, a group of Cooper's friends published a small book of her poems as a way to cheer her up when she became ill. The 600 copies of the sixteen page booklet entitled Down Aroun' Shore had sold out by 1976. In 1979 a seventy-eight page book The Deserted Island was published, largely due to the efforts of two of the Cooper sisters' former borders, Dr. Harry Cuff and Dr. Leslie Harris, faculty members of Memorial University. It featured 49 of Cooper's poems and 26 of her paintings. The poem "The Deserted Island" received much praise and has been printed in school textbooks in Manitoba, Ontario and Newfoundland. It is also featured in several anthologies of verse used in English courses at Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Results 31 to 40 of 387