Showing 1046 results

Authority record

Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1699 -

The parish was founded in 1699 in response to a petition drafted by the Anglican townsfolk of St. John's and sent to the Bishop of London, the Rt. Rev. Henry Compton. In this petition, the people also requested help in the rebuilding of their church, which had been destroyed by fire in the course of hostilities with the French. The first rector was a former Royal Naval chaplain, the Rev. John Jackson.
At least six wooden churches stood on or near this site. Those that survived the rigours of Newfoundland weather fell victim to accidental fires and military operations during the wars between the French and the British which finally resulted in British control of North America. The first stone church was begun in 1843 under the direction of Aubrey Spencer, the first bishop of Newfoundland, but little progress was made on this relatively modest edifice beyond the laying of a cornerstone before Bishop Spencer resigned due to ill health.
Designated a National Historic Site in 1981, the present Cathedral was begun in 1847 by Edward FeiId, the second bishop of NewfoundIand. Bishop Feild commissioned plans from the leading Gothic Revival architect George Gilbert Scott, who envisioned a more impressive cruciform structure with varied ornamentation in the twelfth-century English style. The Nave, built between 1847 and 1850, served as the entire Cathedral Church for 35 years until the Transepts, Chancel and Sanctuary were added in the period 1880-1885.

Anglican Church of the Ascension, Mount Pearl, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1952 -

The Parish of the Ascension in Mount Pearl can trace its origins to a service of worship held on October 12th, 1952 in a converted garage made available by the late James Billard. This service was conducted by the Rev. Canon A. B. S. Stirling, then Rector of the Parish of St. Mary the Virgin in St. John's.
The first Church of the Ascension was opened on June 17th, 1956 on Park Avenue. Parish status was granted by the Diocese of Newfoundland on January 1st, 1964 and the Rev. R. T. Mercer was inducted as the first Rector on February 23rd of that year.
Throughout the 1960's and 1970's, the Church of the Ascension continued to grow and on September 24th, 1978 the second Church of the Ascension was dedicated on Smallwood Drive by Archbishop Robert L. Seaborn. On May 12th, 1983 - Ascension Day - the new Church of the Ascension was consecrated by Bishop Martin Mate.

Anglican Diocesan Synod Of Western Newfoundland

  • Corporate body
  • 1839-

In its early church life, Newfoundland was under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London. From 1789, it was part of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1839, it became the Diocese of Newfoundland and Bermuda until 1924. Synod was organized in June of 1873. The Diocese was transferred to the Province of Canada in 1949.
The Diocese of Western Newfoundland was created as a result of the restructuring of the Diocese of Newfoundland and Labrador into three dioceses: Western Newfoundland, Central Newfoundland, and Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador. The geographical boundaries comprise that part of Newfoundland west and north of a line from Rencontre West to the western shore of Hind's Lake, then to Middle Arm in Green Bay and along the north side of Green Bay, together with the Parish of Forteau, from Blanc Sablon to Red Bay, Labrador.
The Diocesan Synod was incorporated January 1, 1976, and organized in June, 1976. The Diocese has an area of 23,000 square miles, plus part of Labrador, with an Anglican population of 45,000. The Diocese of Western Newfoundland is one of the dioceses of the Ecclesiastic Province of Canada. Most parishes are now connected by road, but some still require water and air transportation.

Anglican Mission of Harbour Buffett, Placentia Bay, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1843 - 1967

The first resident Church of England missionary for the Placentia Bay mission was appointed in 1842. St. Paul's, Harbour Buffett became the headquarters of this mission in 1848 with responsibility for all Placentia Bay residents of the Church of England faith.
On September 28, 1913, the Church of England parsonage at Harbour Buffett was destroyed by fire. The parsonage fire destroyed the baptism records of the parish pre 1890 and the marriage and burial records pre 1911.
In 1967 the community of Harbour Buffett was resettled and the Parish of Harbour Buffett was relocated to Arnold's Cove. In the 1970's the name was changed to the Parish of Arnold's Cove, which now includes the communities of Arnold's Cove, Come By Chance and North Harbour. In its turn this parish was amalgamated with the parishes of Random South and Norman's Cove to form the Parish of the Holy Spirit.

Anglican Parish of Bay Roberts - Coley's Point

  • Corporate body
  • 1824 -

The parish began as part of a much larger Conception Bay mission which was established by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in 1765. The first member of the society in the region was the famous Rev. Lawrence Coughlan who served the area from Harbour Grace.
In 1826, the mission of Port de Grave was established to serve the area from Bay Roberts to Brigus. For the next ten years Coley's Point, along with Bay Roberts, was part of Port de Grave Mission under Rev. Charles Blackman. The mission of Bay Roberts was established in 1837 to encompass the settlements from Coley's Point to Upper Island Cove. Although Bay Roberts was only now receiving the status of a separate mission, its residents already had their own church in Mercer's Cove. The first St. Matthew's Church had been started in 1824 and consecrated in 1827. The missionary society continued to supply clergymen until the Parish of Bay Roberts was created in 1906.

Anglican Parish of Bay de Verde, Bay de Verde, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1825 -

During the 1700s and early 1800s, the communities situated at the top of the Bay de Verde peninsula were visited three or four times a year by the Church of England missionaries stationed at Harbour Grace. Bay de Verde was granted the status of a mission in 1825 and it was about that time that churches were built at Grate's Cove and Bay de Verde. Construction of the first Church of England church in Bay de Verde began in 1821. On May 12, 1891 the present church was consecrated. At Grate's Cove, Rev. Rouse had church number two built. Rev. J.L. Cragg laid the foundation stone of Church number three on March 25, 1895 and the Bishop consecrated the "handsome little Church" on July 21, 1899. Church number four, which was moved to Bay de Verde from Harbour Grace, was consecrated by Bishop White on November 18, 1937.
Rev. Rouse, in his reports to the S.P.G., in the 1880s, referred to Caplin Cove as a place where people would go in the winter months so that they would easily be able to obtain winter fuel. By 1892, enough families were established there for the Bishop to appoint Josiah Cull to the office of Lay reader. In 1916, they moved into their present church.
In 1971 Bay de Verde became part of the Parish of Carbonear. On January 1, 1988, Bay de Verde, Grate's Cove and Caplin Cove were given the status of a single parish.

Anglican Parish of Bay of Islands

  • Corporate body
  • 1865 -

From 1841 to 1865, the Bay of Islands area was the responsibility of the Bay St. George mission. In 1865, a missionary was sent to the Bay of Islands by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The Bay of Islands Parish (now St. Mary's Parish) was established at Birchy Cove (later renamed Curling and now part of Corner Brook).
The records of the Bay of Islands parish, which also had responsibility for Bonne Bay, were lost through fire in 1870. Rev. Ulric Rule, who had performed most of the baptisms and marriages from 1865 to 1870, was able to compile, from memory, a list of most of the names
With the opening of the pulp and paper mill in Corner Brook in 1925, a new parish was established there.
The location of the records is kept with the parishes to which they belonged during the history of the restructuring of Bay of Islands and related parishes.
Churches include:
St. Ambrose (Frenchman's Cove/John's Beach)
St. James (York Harbour/Lark Harbour)
St. Mary the Virgin (Curling) (1957-198?)

Anglican Parish of Bell Island

  • Corporate body
  • 1843 -

Church of England priests visited Bell Island from the shores of Conception Bay as far back as 1795. Bell Islanders seeking the Sacraments of Baptism and Marriage often went to Hr. Grace. The first known priest that came regularly to Bell Island was the Rev. Thomas Longhorne.

On Aug 12, 1843, Bishop Spencer consecrated the first church on Bell Island, the church of St. Mary the Virgin and in the fall of that year rev. Thomas Boone came to Lance Cove. In 1867 Bishop Field separated the Congregation from Portugal Cove and it became part of the Topsail Mission and 5 years later a new church was consecrated by Bishop Field. In 1903 a second church was built to serve the people of Wabana. St. Boniface was situated where the old cemetery is now located. Then in 1926 the cornerstone was laid by Bishop William White for the present church of St. Cyprians - Bishop and Martyr. This church replaced St. Boniface.
St. Cyprian's is the "headquarters" of the Anglican Church's on Bell Island with St. Mary's a part of the parish, however, all records are kept as a single unit.

Anglican Parish of Bonavista (Bonavista, N.L. : Anglican)

  • Corporate body
  • 1736-

In 1723, Rev. Henry Jones was appointed the first residing clergyman in Bonavista, three years later he established the first school in Newfoundland. In 1736, the first Anglican Church was built and during his first eight years he baptized 119 people.

In 1740, Rev. W. Peasley was appointed Rector of the Parish. After his departure in 1744 there was no resident clergyman at Bonavista for the next seventy years and services were carried out by three devoted laymen: Abraham Ackerman, Thomas Gaylor and Dr. Clinch.

The second church was built by a Mr. Joseph Brown at his own expense in the year 1822 and the third church was built during the ministry of Rev. A. E. C. Bayley in 1862, the fourth church in 1931 and the present church during the ministry of Rev. Charles Green.

Anglican Parish of Carbonear

  • Corporate body
  • 1815 -

The construction and completion of the present church building of St. James, Church was in 1864. However, the present structure is not the first one to service the Parish. The previous church, build in 1815, was also called St. James' Church. There was also a small church or meeting house built about 1762.
There was no Anglican Church in Carbonear between 1788 and 1815. Up to 1840 the Anglican population of Carbonear and Harbour Grace formed one parish. Most of the early clergy served the Parish under the auspices of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.
Land was procured around 1813 and the first St. James Church was completed in 1815. In 1819 the congregation pledged to support a priest of their own. On April 9th 1860, the foundation lines were marked out for the construction of a new church. Ground was broken on May 7th 1860 and work continued until June when a large portion of the congregation left for the Annual Labrador Fishery. The shortage of volunteer labor unavoidably slowed construction. However, the church was completed in 3 ½ years and was consecrated on November 10th 1864.

Results 31 to 40 of 1046