Showing 387 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Goodridge, John Richard
Persoon · [18-]-1913

John Richard Goodridge (18?-1913), importer-exporter, was the son of Alan Goodridge (1808-1884) and partner in Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited with his father and brothers Henry C. and Augustus F. Goodridge. In 1891, Goodridge married Annie Lenora, daughter of Thomas Trumble of Ballymote, County Sligo, Ireland.

In the late nineteenth century, Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited was one of the most successful firms in Newfoundland. The firm owned one of the largest shipping fleets in Newfoundland, and was Newfoundland's second and third largest exporter of codfish in 1894 and 1895, respectively. Their waterfront premises in St. John's occupied an entire block, bounded on the east by Beck's Cove and on the west by Codner's Cove. The firm operated extensively on the Southern Shore, with branches at Bay Bulls, Witless Bay, Tors Cove, Ferryland, Calvert (Caplin Bay), Fermeuse, and Renews. It also had branches in Placentia Bay, Trinity Bay (Nipper's Harbour and New Perlican), Green Bay, St. Mary's Bay, and Labrador.

Alan Goodridge had originally been involved in a business established by his father, Henry, at Renews, but in 1839, he began to export fish and import goods on his own account. For a few years, he was in partnership with a John Goodridge, possibly his brother, under the banner of Alan Goodridge and Company. In the mid-1850s, Alan shifted the headquarters of the firm from Renews to St. John's. Two years later, Alan's youngest son, Henry Churchward, joined the firm, prompting a name change to Alan Goodridge & Son. In 1862, a second son, Augustus Frederick, joined the firm, followed by John Richard in 1866. With these new additions, the firm's name became Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited. Alan Goodridge retired from the business in 1878.

Despite prosperity in the late 1800s, the firm was forced to declare insolvency following the bank crash of 1894. The Goodridges reorganized the business and, in 1912, the firm was incorporated as Alan Goodridge & Sons Limited. In 1917, the company liquidated and re-emerged as Goodridge & Company Limited. This new firm liquidated in 1922 and re-emerged as Renews Trading Company Limited. Renews Trading Company became Tors Cove Trading Company Limited in 1926 and continued under that name until the 1960s, when it was sold to other parties.

Carpenter, Reuben
Persoon · 1911-2001

Reuben Carpenter (1911-2001) master shipbuilder, designer, vessel inspector, was born in Little Catalina, Newfoundland on 21 June 1911, son of Annie (Tippett) and Philip Carpenter. Reuben Carpenter married twice. His first marriage was to Elizabeth Dalton and they had three children: Winnie, Marcie and Pearl. His second marriage was to Ducile Johnson and they had five children: Joe, Louise, Bruce, Marie, and Joan. Carpenter died in Port Union, Newfoundland on 18 May 2001.

Between the mid 1940s and 1965, Carpenter worked at the Clarenville Shipyard where he designed and built ships, including the "Splinter Fleet" and the Philip E. Lake, the last of the Newfoundland banking schooners. In 1965, Reuben Carpenter moved his family from Clarenville to Port Union and opened Carpenter's Shipyard. In the 1970s, Carpenter also worked for the Government of Newfoundland as a boat inspector, and in Postville, Labrador where he was involved in vessels construction.

Carpenter retired to Port Union where he died in 2001.

Jackman, William Henry
Persoon · 1865-1908

William Henry Jackman (1865-1908), Catholic priest, was born at St. John's, Newfoundland, on 20 October 1865, the son of Bridget (Barbridge) and William Jackman. He died at the residence of his aunt, Mrs. Smith, Patrick Street, St. John's, on 16 July 1908. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery.

Jackman was a resident student in St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's (1881-85). He began his studies for the priesthood at Mount Mellray, a boarding college for candidates to the priesthood under the direction of the monks of the Cistercian Order (1886-89). He transferred to St. Patrick's College, Carlow, Ireland (1889-93). Jackman was ordained a priest in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's on 30 November 1893, by Thomas Joseph Power, Bishop of Diocese of St. John's.

Rev. Jackman served as curate in several parishes: St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's); Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish (St. John's); the missions of Topsail and Kelligrews, Conception Bay South; Sacred Heart Parish (St. Kyran's, Placentia Bay); Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay) ; and St. Patrick's Parish (Burin).

Rev. Jackman was appointed parish priest of St. Joseph's Parish, (Salmonier, St. Mary's Bay) and later parish priest of Holy Redeemer Parish (Trepassey). He was transferred to St. Patrick's Parish, St. John's, where he was serving at the time of his death in 1908.

Chollett, L.J.
Persoon · fl.1927-1954

L. J. Chollett (fl. 1927-1954) was a general merchant in Flat Islands, Placentia Bay, Newfoundland.

Danielle, Charles H.
Persoon · 1830-1902

Charles H. Danielle (1830-1902), dance instructor and hotelier, was born at Baltimore, Maryland, on 1 November 1830, son of Isabelle and Joseph Danielle. Danielle died at St. John's on 1 May 1902.

Danielle was drawn to the theatre at an early age, and began an acting career at age fourteen. By 1850, Danielle owned and operated his own dance school in Chicago, under the moniker "Professor of the Terpsichorean Art". Danielle deliberately kept details of his personal life shrouded in mystery, including his true name. According to one source, Danielle's real name was Charles Augustus Emerson. Danielle often referred to himself as "The Professor".

Danielle arrived in St. John's in 1861 and opened a dancing school, which proved unprofitable. He returned to the United States, and by 1880, was residing in Bridgeport, Connecticut. He maintained a summer home in Forest Lake Township, "Deer Lodge Farm", until around 1886. Danielle returned to St. John's in 1888 and operated a series of business ventures. In September, he leased a rink located on Prescott St. and held a "grand carnival and oriental ball". He continued to hold dance lessons at the studio, until the rink was destroyed by fire. He then opened a restaurant on Water St., the "Royal". The restaurant did well, but was lost in the fire of 1892. A second restaurant was opened at the top of Beck's Cove, the "Little Royal". This business was also successful, and Danielle soon expanded to larger premises on the shores of Quidi Vidi Lake, the Royal Lake Pavilion. Although the Pavilion was popular, Danielle felt unwelcome by neighbouring businesses and decided to move his premises elsewhere.

In 1895, Danielle dismantled the Pavilion and rebuilt next to a pond outside the city. The building was an eight-sided wonder, known as Octagon Castle, and boasted a ballroom, banquet hall, elaborate bedrooms, with many of the decorations hand-sewn by Danielle. One conversation piece was Danielle's coffin, the lid made of glass and the case lined with thousand of satin shells. The resort was very popular, and hosted many outings by the various St. John's clubs and societies. In 1898, Danielle hired an assistant, Frederick A. Brazill, whom he later adopted and made his heir. "The Professor" produced annual booklets advertising the pleasures of Octagon Castle, which included a lengthy list of house rules.

Danielle began to suffer heart troubles in the early 1900s; in his 1901 booklet, he forecast his own death within one year. Ever the showman, his prediction was accurate to the day. The Professor passed away in St. John's on 1 May 1902. The funeral procession drew crowds, as Danielle was delivered to the Protestant cemetery in his famous glass coffin.

Kelly, Matilda M.
Persoon · 1908-1990

Matilda Mary (Haley) Kelly (1908-1990), school teacher and community volunteer, was born on 22 September 1908, in Lamaline, located on Newfoundland's Burin Peninsula. She was the daughter of Mary Drake and James Haley. She married Edward Kelly on 26 December 1936; they had four children: Geraldine, Noelle, Mary and Edward. Matilda Kelly died in St. John's in 1990.

Matilda was educated in Lamaline. After graduating from high school, she attended two sessions of summer school in St. John's, qualifying as a teacher. She taught at Point au Gaul, commencing in 1927.

Matilda was teaching at Point au Gaul when a massive tidal wave struck the area on 18 November 1929. Six residents of that community were lost. Communications were severed and water levels remained dangerously high. It took several days for Kelly to determine that her family in Lamaline had survived and inform them that she was alive and well. Her parents' property was not damaged, but her maternal grandparents, Michael and Julia Drake, Allan's Island, lost everything.

In 1930, at the invitation of parish priest Reverend William Sullivan (formerly at Lamaline), Matilda accepted a teaching position in Shoe Cove, part of the Pouch Cove parish. She taught there in a one-room schoolhouse, until her marriage forced the end of her teaching career.

Matilda Kelly was very active in church and community affairs and sat on a number of local committees. Kelly returned to teaching for one year at St. Agnes school in Pouch Cove in the early 1960s.

McGrath, James A.
Persoon · 1932-

James Aloysius McGrath was born in Buchans, Newfoundland, on January 11, 1932, the ninth of fifteen children born to Patrick McGrath and Mary Cole. In 1939 the family moved to St. John's. McGrath was educated there at St. Patrick's Hall School. McGrath left Newfoundland in 1949. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1950 and served until 1953 when he returned to Newfoundland. In St. John's he began work as advertising sales manager with the new radio and television network, CJON, and worked there until 1956.

McGrath began his long association with the Progressive Conservatives by campaigning for the party in the first Newfoundland provincial election in May 1949 and in the first federal election after Confederation in June 1949. A provincial election was held in Newfoundland on October 2, 1956. McGrath entered the contest as PC candidate in the dual-member constituency of Harbour Main with Arthur Harnett, a colleague from the CJON network, as a running mate. McGrath and Harnett were both close but were unable to counteract the Liberals, who were returned to power. In late November 1956, both McGrath and Harnett resigned from CJON and together with Brendan Walsh formed the Weekly Publishing Company. In the 1957 federal election campaign, twenty-five year old James McGrath was the PC candidate in St. John's East and became the youngest member elected to the House of Commons. In the 1958 election McGrath was re-elected.

He was appointed an Executive member of the Canadian Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association in 1957 and a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Parliamentary Association in 1958. In 1958 McGrath also served as Vice-chair of the Canadian delegation to the first Atlantic Conference of Political Youth Leaders held in Paris under NATO sponsorship. In 1959 he was the co-ordinator for the PC Party in Newfoundland for the provincial election held on August 29 and was appointed by the Prime Minister to the House of Commons Committee on Broadcasting.

In the federal election held on June 18, 1962, McGrath was re-elected in St. John's East. McGrath was the only Progressive Conservative elected from Newfoundland and many thought Diefenbaker would appoint him to the federal Cabinet, but instead McGrath was made Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Mines and Technical Surveys, Paul Martineau. He held this position until the defeat of the Diefenbaker administration in the election of April 8, 1963. In that election McGrath lost his St. John's East seat, but decided to stay in Ottawa after his loss, accepting a position as Executive Assistant to the PC Opposition Leader in the Senate, Alfred J. Brooks. He remained in that position for only a short time and in 1964 he moved to Montreal. By the summer of 1965 he had returned to St. John's, where he served as provincial coordinator for the federal election held in September of that year. He later became vice-president and general manager of Mercer Brokerage Limited. Subsequently, he joined Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada as an insurance broker.

When a federal election was called for June 25, 1968, McGrath announced his intention to seek the PC nomination for St. John's East and succeeded in winning the nomination. In Newfoundland, the PCs won six of seven federal seats and McGrath was elected in St. John's East. The Liberals had been returned to the House of Commons with a majority and McGrath, therefore, became a member of the Opposition for the first time. McGrath was re-elected to the House of Commons for St. John's East with large majorities in the federal elections of 1972, 1974, 1979, 1980 and 1984.

Newfoundland elected two PCs to the House of Commons in the 1979 federal election and Prime Minister Joe Clark appointed McGrath Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Crosbie Minister of Finance. When Clark's minority administration was defeated, the Liberals returned to office with a majority. After the defeat of the PC Party in the 1980 election, there were many calls for a review of Clark's leadership and he asked for a leadership convention later in the year. McGrath had supported Brian Mulroney in 1976, but this time decided to support Clark. Mulroney won and in the federal election of September 4, 1984 he led the PC Party to victory. Both McGrath and Crosbie had held senior positions under Clark, but when Mulroney appointed his Cabinet, he included only Crosbie. In December 1984 Mulroney did appoint McGrath as his emissary to the Auditor General, Kenneth Dye, who was threatening to take the Prime Minister and Cabinet to court over government funding of Petrofina. McGrath and the Auditor General formalized an agreement without resorting to court action.

In 1984 Mulroney appointed McGrath as chair of the Special Committee on Reform of the House of Commons charged with investigating the operation and efficiency of the House of Commons. The committee produced a lengthy report in 1985 recommending many changes including better research facilities and funding for Parliamentary committees and greater opportunities for back benchers to introduce legislation and to speak on issues. In 1986 McGrath was again passed over in a major cabinet shuffle and later that summer he accepted Mulroney's offer to become Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland.

McGrath served as Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland from September 3, 1986 until November 5, 1991 and during that time he received many awards and honours. One of the first was from the Boys and Girls Club of Canada which presented him with its Humanitarian Keystone Award. In February 1987 he was made a Knight of the Sovereign and Military Order of Malta. That same month he was presented with an Honorary Life Membership in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. In November 1987 he received the Award of Excellence of the Churchill Society for the Advancement of Parliamentary Democracy. In June 1989 he was presented with the Boy Scouts of Canada's Silver Acorn in recognition of his distinguished service to the scouting movement and in February 1991 he was made Honorary Chief of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. In 1979 McGrath was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from St. Francis Xavier University.

James McGrath married Margaret Smart of Westmount, Quebec, on September 24, 1960 and they have six children: Kathleen, Caroline, Margaret-Moira, Joanna, and twins, Sheilagh and Sean.

Martin, Edward
Persoon · 1825-1883

Edward Martin (1825-1883), Catholic priest, was born in Newfoundland in 1825. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1849.

Rev. Martin's first appointment in 1850 was as a curate in Sacred Heart Parish, Distress (now St. Bride's), Placentia Bay, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Charles H. Irvine. He was later appointed to Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia, and served there for the years 1882-83. Rev. Martin died at Placentia on 27 May 1883.

James, Stephen V.
Persoon · 1868-[19-]

Stephen V. James (1868-?), school supervisor, and teacher, was born at Brigus in June 1868, son of Sarah and Patrick James, a planter. James and his wife, Bridget, had one son, Stephen, who was born in 1897.

James received his teacher's training at St. Bonaventure's Normal School (December 1887-July 1890), taught at St. Jacques (1890-1892), then returned to teach at the Brigus (Boys) School. In 1903, James served as Council of Higher Education (CHE) supervisor for Brigus.

Thornton, Patricia A.
Persoon · [19-]-

Patricia Thornton has published several articles on the Straits of Belle Isle, including a demographic study of Newfoundland's coastal frontier and the transition from a migratory to a permanent fishery, 1760s-1880s. Thornton is currently a professor of Geography, Concordia University, Montreal.