Showing 1047 results

Authority record

Anglican Parish of Conception Bay South

  • Corporate body
  • 1832 -

For many years Topsail was included in the Mission of Foxtrap and the Church of England congregations were served by visiting clergy from St. John's. As early as September, 1832, Thomas Martin Wood was made a Deacon by Bishop Inglis, and before the year was out he was appointed to the Charge of St. John's Outports, which at that time included Topsail and the other settlements on the south side of Conception Bay and Petty Harbour.

The first resident clergyman in Foxtrap was a Missionary - Benjamin Fleet, who came to Newfoundland and ordained Priest in 1842 by Bishop Spencer. After 4 years in the Burin Mission he moved to Foxtrap, where he died in 1876. Rev Fleet and his people built a first small chapel which was later replaced with a more pretentious one. It was said that he ordered men to sit on one side of the Nave and the woman on the other side. Between 1895 and 1911, Foxtrap and Topsail split.

In 1905 St. Peter's Church was built at Hopewell, but still remained part of the Foxtrap Mission. Rev. Caldwell came in 1904 as the Rector of the Foxtrap/Hopewell Mission and at that time the rectory was on the site, in Foxtrap, where the Queen Elizabeth High School used to stand on Lodge Road. In 1906, Rev. Caldwell, appointed two members for the Select Vestry from the communities of Long Pond, Foxtrap, Middle Bight, Kelligrews, Greeleytown and Peachytown. In 1912 the mission was extended to Indian Pond in Seal Cove. By 1923 there were 2,000 members.

In 1928 the Mission of Foxtrap was raised to a Parish status and was now known as the Foxtrap/Hopewell Parish.

In 1976, St. Peter's Mission became a separate parish to be known as the Parish of Upper Gullies (Hopewell), comprised of Upper Kelligrews, Upper Gullies, Seal Cove and Holyrood. This became official on August 31, 1976.

Anglican Parish of Harbour Grace

  • Corporate body
  • 1764 -

The first Church of England was built in Harbour Grace in 1764 with the establishment of a mission to the community. The cornerstone for the present St. Paul's church was laid by Governor Prescott on August 28, 1835 on the same site as the 1764 church. It was then consecrated by Bishop Spencer on the 4th of July, 1840.
The first concrete evidence that St. Peter's congregation had been formed can be found in 1872. Baptismal records show baptisms for residents in that year. Parish records also show names of communicants from Harbour Grace South starting in December 25, 1872.
A St. Peter's Church for Harbour Grace South Anglicans was constructed between 1872-1875. At a special meeting held on May 17, 1906 collectors for the "new church" fund were appointed for different harbours of "THE LABRADOR" as follows: Carpoon - Thos. H. Sheppard; Fishing Ships - Clem Sheppard & Martin George ; Tub Harbour - James & Josiah Yetman; Seal Islands - Lymen & John Noel; Webbers Harbour - Alex Sheppard & Eliezer Noel; Shoal Tickle - Mark Sheppard; Shoal Bay Islands - Victor Sheppard and Leander Noel; Grady - Jonathan Sheppard; Sandy Islands - Moses Yetman
In 1925 St. Paul's and St. Peter's became one parish.

Anglican Parish of Labrador West

  • Corporate body
  • 1958 -

The first recorded Anglican service held in the area of Labrador West was conducted by the Rev’d A. L. Salt on July 5, 1958 at Base Camp, Wabush. In July 1960, Archdeacon Norman reported to Bishop Meaden that during a visit to Carol Lake, he "found the Anglicans organized for regular Sunday worship, conducted by Lay Readers." These Lay Readers were H.Raynes, Paul Thoms, and Chesley Gill. Visiting clergy occasionally came to celebrate Eucharist. The following year, Bishop Seaborn visited the area and conducted the first local service of confirmation on March 24 with four candidates.

Archdeacon Norman returned for Christmas services in 1961 and during his visit he held a congregational meeting to plan and organize a vestry. The people were at that time erecting a building to serve as a place of worship with plans to eventually use it as a rectory. In 1962 the first permanent clergy was appointed: the Rev’d Leonard Whitten arrived to take up residence and conduct services in the new building, becoming the first Rector of what was then the Mission of Labrador West.

The Anglican and United congregations of Labrador West joined their efforts to erect a joint church on Hudson Drive to be named St. Paul’s Anglican and Carol United. On December 15,1968 this building was dedicated and the first Eucharist celebrated there. In 1974, St. Peter’s Church was built on Whiteway Street in Wabush. It was officially opened on October 20, 1974 by Bishop W. G. Legge. It was later extended and then consecrated by Bishop Martin Mate on October 4, 1981.

Anglican Parish of Lake Melville

  • Corporate body
  • 1957 -

The Parish of Lake Melville (or the Parish of Happy Valley as it was originally known) was established in 1957. Prior to this the people who lived in the area were served by the priest from the Parish of Cartwright on his bi-yearly trips up the Labrador coast. Deacon Chloe Adams came to serve the people in December of 1956, and then the first rector was appointed, the Rev. Stewart Payne, in 1957. The church and rectory in Happy Valley were built by the residents, with the cornerstone of St. Andrew's church being laid in August of 1959 and the finished building being dedicated in November of the same year. Since that time St. Andrew's has been the main point of the parish, which also included Northwest River and, at times, Rigolet.

Anglican Parish of New Hope, Petty Harbour, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1829 -

The parish of New Hope includes the Anglican churches in the communities of Petty Harbour, the Goulds, Aquaforte and Bay Bulls.
The history of the church goes back to 1829 when the first incumbent was assigned: prior to that date, people went to St. John's for baptisms, marriages, etc.
In 1956 under the leadership of the Rev. W .F. Ralph plans were put in place to combine the two congregations of Presentation and St. Matthew's in the Goulds. The name St. Paul was chosen. On October 28, 1962, on the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude the corner stone for St. Paul's was laid by the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden. The church was officially opened and dedicated on December 8, 1963. In 1972 the parish seat moved to St. Paul's, where a new rectory was built. In 1992, the parish split with St. Paul's going on its own and the Parish of Petty Harbour reverting to its original form.
The first Anglican Church in Bay Bulls was a small wooden structure built in Gunridge in 1864 and was ministered to by the resident priest in Petty Harbour. In May 1964, Holy Trinity Church celebrated its 100th anniversary. In April 1969, work commenced on the present church. The first Eucharist was celebrated in the new church on January 25th, 1970.
On October 28, 1962, on the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude the corner stone for St. Paul's was laid by the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden. The church was officially opened and dedicated on December 8, 1963. After many years of hard work and much determination St. Paul's was consecrated on October 22, 1978 by the Rt. Rev. R. L. Seaborn.
The Parish of St. Paul's, the Goulds , was re-amalgamated with the Parish of Petty Harbour to form the Parish of New Hope.

Anglican Parish of Pouch Cove and Torbay

  • Corporate body
  • 1827 -

From 1787 to 1839, Newfoundland was part of the diocese of Nova Scotia and when Bishop John Inglis of Nova Scotia first visited Newfoundland in 1827, he consecrated eighteen churches around the island, including the first Church at Torbay. This Church served the people of Torbay until 1926 when the cornerstone was laid for the present Church of St. Nicholas.
In 1832, Bishop Inglis again returned to Newfoundland mainly to visit the S.P.G. Schools and it was during this visit on July 7, 1832 that he consecrated the first Anglican Church in Pouch Cove which was named in honour of St. Thomas. This Church was destroyed by fire on January 22, 1882 and plans were made to erect a new building. From the evidence available the cornerstone was laid on All Saints Day, November 1, 1882 and to commemorate this fact, the new Church was named All Saints.
Prior to the appointment of Rev. T.G. Netten as Rector with responsibilities for Pouch Cove and Torbay on April 22, 1900 it seems that services were conducted by lay readers, clergy from St. John's parishes and those appointed in charge of the St. John's outport mission. The Parish formally came in being on March 1, 1923 at a joint meeting of Parishioners from Torbay and Pouch Cove when it was decided to elect a Parish Council.

Anglican Parish of Spaniard's Bay, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1841 -

The Parish of Spaniard’s Bay was originally a mission of Harbour Grace. On June 2nd, 1843, the first recorded use of this church gives its name as The Church of the Holy Trinity. The schoolroom was used for services prior to having the church.

The first mention of what is now Tilton dates from a baptism service where the family is from "The Tilts", and the name Tilton appears in 1879. Records from the early 1880's refer to a place called New Harbour Line, later called Fall Pond Ridge, ultimately re-christened Goddenville. Throughout the written materials, old place names are still referred to Mint Cove, Green Head, Back Cove and Rocky Pond.
The Church of the Holy Trinity served the needs of the parishioners of Spaniard's Bay and the surrounding communities for almost five decades. Late in the 1880's it was decided once again that the population had grown to a point where the old church was too small to be of any use.
On May 3rd, 1891, the new Church was dedicated to the Holy Redeemer by Bishop Llewellyn Jones. The new church had a new name, The Church of the Holy Redeemer. The mission was elevated into a parish in 1913.

The Church of All Saints in Tilton was consecrated in November 1905.

Anglican Parish of St. Anthony

  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

The St. Anthony Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. In 1985, the parish dissolved into two - St. Anthony Parish, and Pistolet Bay Parish.
Churches include:
St. Mary the Virgin (St. Anthony)
St. Matthew (Cook's Harbour)
St. Mark (Boat Harbour)
St. Paul (Raleigh)
St. Paul (St. Carols)
School Chapel (Big Brook)
All Saints (L'anse aux Meadows, Noddy Bay, Quirpon, Griquet)

Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1963 -

St. Augustine’s parish was established as a result of the post-war housing boom in St. John’s. In the mid-1950s the Anglican School Board of St. John’s had constructed an elementary school, Brinton Memorial, in the newly developed Churchill Park residential area. The nearest parish to Churchill Park was the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist in downtown St. John’s. By early 1957 arrangements had been made for a Sunday school to be held at Brinton Memorial, which was more readily accessible on foot. An extract from the Cathedral Vestry minutes of March 6, 1957 indicates that a Sunday school was already in place and that plans were being made to hold regular church services at Brinton during Lent. An unfinished room at the school was completed for use as a chapel and dedicated on January 6, 1958 by Bishop Meadon as the Chapel of the Epiphany. Regular Sunday services were conducted from that date, and by April 1959 an Altar Guild had been established to serve the new chapel.
The Mission Parish of St. Augustine was established in 1963. The first service in the newly constituted parish was held on August 4, and on September 17 the new parish officially came into being with the first parish meeting.
Meetings and services for the Mission Parish of St. Augustine’s continued to be held in Brinton Memorial School, first in the basement chapel and then in a new auditorium constructed for the purpose and opened in 1965. Meanwhile, negotiations for a permanent home for the congregation continued, culminating in the acquisition of a parcel of land on Elizabeth Avenue. Construction of the new church began in June of 1968 and the building was dedicated on March 2 1969. According to Synod regulations, construction debts on the church building had to be paid before it could be consecrated: this was accomplished and St. Augustine’s was consecrated on May 31, 1981.

Anglican Parish of St. James the Apostle, Channel, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1854 --

The parish of St.James can be traced back as early as 1854, then the Parish of Channel and served areas from Port aux Basques, Isle aux Morts to Codroy. Until the 1980s it included what is now the Isle aux Morts Parish, as well as what is now the Grand Bay Parish.
Churches include:
St. James the Great (Channel Port aux Basques)
Holy Trinity (Codroy)
St. John the Evangelist (Cape Ray)
St. Augustine (Foxroost & Margaree)
Holy Spirit (Isle aux Morts)
St. Paul (Grand Bay)
St. Mary the Virgin (Mouse Island)

Results 41 to 50 of 1047