Showing 1086 resultsAuthority record
Walter Broomfield (18-?-1943) was the youngest son of Samuel James Broomfield and Eliza Learning. He was a trapper and fisherman from Big Bay, near Davis Inlet. He married Carrie Anderson and had five children.
Kyran Walsh (1809-1868), Catholic priest, was born at Mencken, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in September 1809. Walsh died at Conception Bay on 4 September 1868 and is buried in the parish cemetery at Harbour Main. Walsh was an uncle of Revs. Michael and John Walsh who also served in Newfoundland.
Walsh was educated in the schools of his home parish and pursued his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary College, Waterford. Following completion of his course of studies in philosophy and theology, Walsh was invited by Michael Anthony Fleming, bishop of St. John's, to serve in Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest on 25 August 1839 by Bishop Fleming in the Presentation Convent Chapel, Cathedral Square, St. John's.
Rev. Walsh's first appointment was in the old Cathedral Parish, St. John's. Shortly after Rev. Walsh's arrival, Bishop Fleming decided to construct a new cathedral in the city. In preparation for this extensive project, Rev. Walsh supervised the gathering of the stone for the Cathedral. He also travelled in the United States collecting funds for the construction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1840-42).
Rev. Walsh also introduced Newfoundland Catholics to the Irish temperance movement founded in Cork in April 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew. His efforts resulted in the establishment of the Newfoundland Temperance Society (and its successor organizations, the Total Abstinence Society and the Total Abstinence and Temperance Society). By 1850 the Total Abstinence Society, under its president Father Walsh, had branches in several communities including Torbay, Harbour Main, Brigus and Harbour Grace.
In 1850 Rev. Walsh was appointed parish priest of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay. Shortly afterwards Bishop Fleming recalled him to St. John's to continue his invaluable work on the construction of the Cathedral (1850-1857). Rev. Kyran Walsh also served as Vicar General to Bishop Fleming for several years.
In 1857 Fleming's successor, Bishop John Thomas Mullock appointed Rev. Walsh as the first parish priest of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish, Harbour Main, where he remained until his death in 1868.
John Walsh (1833-1899), Catholic priest, was born in the Diocese of Monecoin, Ireland, in Janaury 1833, the son of Honora (Dunphy) and John Walsh. He died at Portugal Cove on 15 November 1899. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John's.
Walsh completed his studies for the priesthood in St. John's Seminary College, Waterford, Ireland. He arrived in Newfoundland in 1853, and was ordained a priest on 24 June 1855 in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, by John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of the Diocese of Newfoundland.
Rev. John Walsh was initially stationed as curate in Immaculate Conception Parish, Harbour Grace (1859-72). In 1872 he was appointed parish priest of St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, King's Cove, Bonavista Bay. Walsh succeeded Rev.Thomas O'Connor as pastor of Holy Rosary Parish, Portugal Cove, where he resided at the time of his death.
James Walsh (1803-1873), Catholic priest, was born in Cappahayden, County Callan, Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1803. He died at Merasheen, Placentia Bay, on 12 July 1873.
Walsh studied for the priesthood in St. Kieran's College, Kilkenny, and, in 1831 was ordained a priest in Dublin, Ireland by Michael Anthony Fleming, Bishop of St. John's.
At the invitation of Bishop Fleming, Rev. Walsh arrived in the Vicariate of Newfoundland in 1835. He was appointed as priest at Carbonear where he was an active member of the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS).
In the latter part of 1841 Rev. Walsh was transferred as parish priest to the Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia. He set out from Carbonear in the month of December to walk to Placentia in order to be available to celebrate the Masses for the Christmas Season in his new parish. The journey was arduous and tragic as some of his companions died along the route after being caught in a bitter snow storm.
Rev. Walsh also served at St. Joseph's Parish, Bonavista (1855-57). In 1862 he was appointed as the parish priest of Sacred Heart Parish, St. Kyrans, Placentia Bay, where he resided until his death in 1873. Rev. Walsh was also a member of the Board of Education for Placentia West.
Wallace James (Wally) McLean, son of Wallace and Edna (McDonald) McLean, was raised and educated in North West River Labrador, and completed post secondary studies at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, and Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. Wally was employed for several years in the Ottawa office of the Liberal Member of Parliament for Labrador. In 1996, he began studies towards a law degree at the University of Ottawa. Wally is a collector of Labrador history and donates material to THEM DAYS Labrador Archives on a regular basis. He currently resides in Ottawa with three cats.
Thomas J. Waldron (1808-1854) was born at Tuam, Waterford, Ireland, in 1808. He was ordained a priest in Ireland by Michael Anthony Fleming, Vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland.
Rev. Waldron arrived in Newfoundland in 1833. He assumed pastoral duties in St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, King's Cove, Bonavista Bay, in 1845, serving there until 1854. He built the first church in King's Cove in 1853.
Rev. Waldron died of cholera at King's Cove on 4 December 1854. He was buried in the parish cemetery.
Maureen Volk (1954- ), musician, teacher and reviewer, was born 16 September 1954 at Macklin, Saskatchewan. Volk married Bruce Watson and they have a son, Michael and a daughter, Amie.
Volk graduated from Swift Current Comprehensive High School, Saskatchewan in 1971. She received a Bachelor of Music degree in piano from the University of Regina (1975), a Master of Music in piano from the Julliard School (1977) and a Doctor of Music in piano literature and pedagogy from Indiana University (1992). She pursued professional studies at Julliard (1977-79) and completed the Senior University Administrators course at the Banff Centre (1992). Over the course of her musical studies and career she has received many awards, grants and scholarships for her work, including several Canada Council grants, as well as the Governor General's Medal (1971).
Volk has performed solo with an orchestra on several occasions. She has also done numerous solo recitals for the CBC Radio regional network and chamber music performances which were broadcast on the CBC Radio national network. She was music reviewer for the CBC Radio, St. John's Weekend AM program from 1982-90. She has taught at Memorial University of Newfoundland since 1979 and has been the Director of its School of Music since 1991.
- Corporate body
The vestry committee is the body that makes decisions regarding the church building and the congregation. Members of the committee include the church wardens, members of vestry and the rector. The minutes of vestry record discussions and decisions relating to the maintenance of the church, new buildings and additions, and matters concerning the congregation.
John T. Vereker (1823-1867), Catholic priest, was born at Slieverue, Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1823. He was one of four brothers who were priests, all of whom ministered in Canada. Vereker died of typhoid fever on 29 July 1867 at the episcopal residence in St. John's. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery.
Vereker was educated in St. Johns College, Waterford, Ireland, and was ordained a priest in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, on 13 October 1850 by John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of Newfoundland.
Vereker initially served as a curate in St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, Harbour Main (1856). In 1856 he was appointed a professor at St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's (1856-62). In addition to this position, he was responsible for maintaining the business records for the Cathedral Parish where the episcopal residence and library were under construction.
Rev. Vereker was subsequently appointed to the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist, St. John's (1864-65), and the Immaculate Conception Parish, Harbour Grace (1866) where he died in 1876. Two nieces (Monica and Elizabeth Greene) and a grandniece (Patricia Fleury) joined Presentation Congregation in Newfoundland.