Showing 1086 results

Authority record
Corporate body · 1854 --

The parish of St.James can be traced back as early as 1854, then the Parish of Channel and served areas from Port aux Basques, Isle aux Morts to Codroy. Until the 1980s it included what is now the Isle aux Morts Parish, as well as what is now the Grand Bay Parish.
Churches include:
St. James the Great (Channel Port aux Basques)
Holy Trinity (Codroy)
St. John the Evangelist (Cape Ray)
St. Augustine (Foxroost & Margaree)
Holy Spirit (Isle aux Morts)
St. Paul (Grand Bay)
St. Mary the Virgin (Mouse Island)

Corporate body · 1861 -

On February 13, 1860. John Harvey, carpenter, St. John’s, was engaged to build the framework of the Church. Consecration of the Church and Graveyard was on June 18, 1861. One of the most interesting aspects of the Old Church is its style of architecture and the natural wood, which has never been painted. Sir Edgar Bowring donated the stained glass window and oak reredos in 1923.

Corporate body · 1859 -

The story of The Church of St. Mary The Virgin begins in the early 1850's when it was recognized that the Cathedral was overcrowded. A new church was built on South Side Road and on June 24, 1859, St. Mary's Church was consecrated by Bishop Feild. The original building was extended as the parish population grew until its seating capacity reached approximately 450. By the 1950's St. Mary's Congregation had outgrown the old church and land was procured on Craigmillar Avenue for the building of a new church ministry complex. It was opened December 23, 1962 and consecrated October 30, 1966.
St. Mary's Parish also includes a daughter congregation on Shea Heights. Named St. Peter on the Rock by Bishop Seaborn, the present church was built in 1996 and consecrated by Bishop Harvey.

Corporate body · 1926-1964

Ivanhoe and Traytown are two resettled community on the island of Ireland’s Eye in Trinity Bay, in the Parish of Trinity. A meeting of the residents was held May 1,1926, respecting the erection of a church for their communities. Those present voted to have a church “central between Ivanhoe and Traytown”. Permission was granted by the Diocesan Synod and the site across the road from the school was selected. Plans were drawn up by the Rector of the Parish, Rev. E. P. Hiscock, and approved by Synod.

The church was completed by June 1929, and consecrated later that year. The communities were resettled under the provincial government program in the 1960s. The final recorded congregational meeting was held in 1964. There was no reference to the impending closing of the church, but the lay reader, Mr. Cecil King referred to people “going away from the place they once loved so dearly”. By 1966 the resettlement of the community was complete.

Corporate body · 1729-

The Anglican Congregation at Trinity dates back over 270 years. The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick established the first mission at Trinity in 1729, and it is generally thought that the first church was built at that time. On May 23rd, 1820 the pillars of a new church were laid. This church, similar in design to many English churches of the time, had an upstairs gallery and could seat over 600 people.

The present church was built in 1892. It was designed by American architect Stephen C. Earle and built by master builder Caleb Marshall. Two other churches of the same design are at Digby and Windsor, Nova Scotia. The church serves as the mother church of the Parish of Trinity.

Corporate body · 1876 -

St. Peter's, Upper Gullies is the oldest church on Conception Bay South. Historically part of the Missions of South Shore Conception Bay and Foxtrap, the congregation began meeting in Hopewell Church, located near the current St. Peter's in 1876. AS the number of settlers in the area grew, so did the congregation. By 1898 it was clear to both clergy and people that a new place of worship was needed. On July 20,1905 the cornerstone was laid and on November 16,1909 the newly named St. Peter's Church was consecrated.

St. Peter's officially became an independent parish of the Anglican Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador on September 26,1976. The Parish Hall Annex was completed in November 1980, giving St. Peter's it current form. In 2003, the church and adjoining cemetery were designated heritage properties by the Town of Conception Bay South

Corporate body · 1841 - 1861

The parish was created in 1841 from part of the Parish of Twillingate. It included Tizzard's Harbour. The parish was reabsorbed into the current Parish of Twillingate.

Corporate body · 1894 -

The Anglican Church of St.Philips's was consecrated on 20 November 1894. The Parish was once part of the Parish of Portugal Cove but in 1986 was created a separate parish. This church was in need of great repair and the decision was made to build a new church.