Showing 1086 results

Authority record

Burin Presbytery of the United Church of Canada

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1962

Responsibility for the area covered by the Burin District of the Methodist Church of Canada was transferred to the Burin Presbytery of the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Presbytery was briefly (1928-1929) united with St. John's Presbytery. In 1962 Burin Presbytery was merged with Bonavista Presbytery to form Bonavista-Burin Presbytery.

Avalon Presbytery of the United Church of Canada

  • Corporate body
  • 1962-1992

In 1962 the Presbyteries of St. John's and Carbonear were amalgamated to form Avalon Presbytery. In 1968, a further consolidation took place and Avalon Presbytery was extended to include the territory formerly covered by Burin Presbytery. This was done in order to take advantage of the new network of roads that had been built in the interior of the province.

Within the Presbytery various smaller geographic interest groups or Zones were formed. Of these, the most visible was the St. John's or Metro Zone, whose activities are reflected in the sub-series. In 1985 the pastoral charges in the St. John's area were reconstituted as St. John's Presbytery and were removed from Avalon Presbytery's jurisdiction. Avalon Presbytery was included in the East District at the time of re-organization in 1992.

Colonial and Continental Church Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1823-

The Society was known by various names at one time or another. Beginning as the Society for Educating the Poor of Newfoundland, it in turn adopted the names of the Newfoundland School Society, the School Society of Newfoundland and British North America, the Church of England School Society for Newfoundland and the Colonies, the Colonial Church and School Society and Colonial and Continental Church Society (CCCS).

The Society was formed in 1823 as a result of the energy and interest of a young English merchant, Samuel Codner. The chief aim of the Society was to communicate free instruction to the poor inhabitants of all denominations of the Colony. There was, however an obvious bias in favour of the Anglican Church.

The Society’s first school was established in St. John’s. By 1826 a school was established in Trinity.

The Mercantile Journal, in a lengthy article, had this to say in 1826:
“At Trinity, where the Master arrived in June last, the Magistrates kindly offered him the temporary use of the Court House, for a School Room, in which he had, up to the latest accounts received thence, admitted about 100 children, who have made considerable progress in Education. Mr. Fleet, under whose care this school is placed has been indefatigable in the performance of his duties, and thereby secured the marked approval of all the inhabitants of Trinity. The people, feeling the want of a School House at Trinity, have lately held a Public Meeting, at which £100 was subscribed - an eligible spot of ground has been liberally bestowed by Messrs. Garlands, for the purposes of the Society, and the poor inhabitants have agreed to bring from the Forests during the Winter months the necessary timber for the frame of a suitable building; to these laudable efforts, the Society has added a grant of £100, which, it is expected, will enable the people to erect a House sufficiently large for the admission of all the poor Children of Trinity, and the adjacent Creeks, in the course of the present year."

Sons of Temperance

  • Corporate body
  • 19th cent.

The Sons of Temperance was one of a number of like-minded fraternal and social organizations given to curbing the consumption of alcoholic liquors especially by the breadwinners of families.

There existed a Grand Division, perhaps headquartered in St. John’s.

The Sons of Temperance was active in St. John’s in the latter part of the eighteenth century. During a celebration of the Total Abstinence and Benefit Society at St John’s (1880 -1), the officers of the Sons of Temperance were on the stage and the Sons of Temperance was listed as being “the oldest temperance organization in the city”.

The Sons of Temperance flag was white with a red, white, and blue triangle in the middle of which was a red star.

St. Matthew's Church (Trouty, N.L. : Catholic)

  • Corporate body
  • 1853-

In 1848 a school was in use at Trouty as the church, a year later it was decided that a proper church building was needed. Plans were made to build a church on the top of Church Hill - a position in the community that was visible from most of the community as well as the fishing grounds off the harbour. The church was consecrated on St. Matthew’s Day, 1853 as well as the churchyard.

After 30 years of service the church was replaced with a second St. Matthew’s, on May 13, 1888, the day of the first service held in the unfinished church. On November 26, 1888 the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Llewellyn Jones, Bishop of Newfoundland.

Amalgamated School fonds

  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2006

The Amalgamated School, Bay Roberts opened in January 1949. The school had an enrollment of 225 Anglican and United Church pupils. It replaced the United Methodist Church School (Snowden Hall) and the Church of England School (St. Matthew’s Hall). Premier J.R. Smallwood officially opened it. The exterior was built entirely of concrete blocks manufactured by Dawe’s Dunbrick, Clarke’s Beach and was constructed by Chester Dawe Ltd., St. John’s. The Premier told the people that their combined effort in raising the magnificent school was a credit, not only to themselves, but to the whole of Newfoundland. Eventually, the schools in Mercer’s Cove and French’s Cove closed and those students attended Amalgamated. In 1991, a new school was built and pupils from Georgetown to Bay Roberts attended. Thus, the old Amalgamated School closed. It has since been demolished. Initially the school had its own board. Later under consolidation, it came under the Avalon North Integrated Board and more recently the Eastern School District.

The Cartwriter

  • Corporate body
  • 1939, 1940

The Cartwriter was a Cartwright, Labrador community based newspaper.

S.B. Fequet & Son

  • Corporate body
  • 1940, 1951

S.B. Fequet & Son (190--1970) was founded by Samuel Butler Russell Fequet, of Old Fort, Quebec. The business had main locations in Cartwright and Pack's Harbour as well as for a short time in North West River and Paradise River, Labrador. S.B. Fequet & Son was a merchant operation that provided hunters and fishermen with necessary supplies in exchange for their game and fish and served as a general store. The business was operated by Sam Fequet and his sons until it went bankrupt due to an unsuccessful fishery in 1970.

Battle Harbour

  • Corporate body
  • 1832, 1904, 1941

Battle Harbour, formerly a permanent settlement, is a summer fishing settlement on the coast of southeastern Labrador. According to legend the Montagnais aided by the French fought their last battle here against the Inuit, circa 1960. It is not known when Battle Harbour was first established as a European settlement but by 1785 a sealing station operated there and the community grew with emphasis on the seal and cod fishery. In 1850, Labrador mission headquarters was set up in Battle Harbour and a school constructed shortly after. In 1857, the church, St. James, was built and in 1893 a hospital, one of the first in Labrador, was built there. In 1918, the first co-operative, established by Dr. Wilfred Grenfell, challenged the merchants' previous monopoly and aided the settlement's heavily indebted fishermen. In the fall of 1930, Battle Harbour was destroyed by fire and a new school, hospital and outbuildings were rebuilt at Mary's Harbour, 11km away from Battle Harbour, on the mainland. The relocation of these services as well as the decline in salmon and cod fisheries led to the resettlement of Battle Harbour in other areas under the Fisheries Household Resettlement Program, circa 1966. In 1980 Battle Harbour was the site of a year round government weather station. In the 1990's Battle Harbour was declared an historic site and underwent a restoration program to preserve the history of the area.

Results 51 to 60 of 1086