Showing 342 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Bonne Bay Parish

  • Corporate body
  • 1957-1980

The Bonne Bay Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. In 1980, the Parish was split into two separate parishes, Bonne Bay North Parish, and Bonne Bay South Parish.
Churches include:
Epiphany (Woody Point)
School Chapel (Baker's Brook) (? - 1979)
St. Simon (Trout River)
Good Shepherd (Norris Point)
St. Matthew (Rocky Harbour)
Resurrection (Birchy Head)
School Chapel (Wiltondale)

Bowater Organization

  • Corporate body
  • 1923-

The Reid Newfoundland Company and other financial backers, under the name of Newfoundland Power and Paper Company, began construction of the mill in Corner Brook in 1923 . with the first paper produced in 1925. A planned, industrial town quickly grew around the mill site. In 1927 the company was incorporated as the International Paper Company of Newfoundland Limited and was acquired by Bowater-Lloyd Corporation in 1938. The company became part of the Kruger organization in December of 1984.

British Wesleyan Methodist Conference. Newfoundland District

  • Corporate body
  • 1816 – 1855

The Methodist missions in Newfoundland were administered directly from England until 1816. In that year the missions were erected into a district of the British Wesleyan Methodist Conference under the supervision of the Wesleyan Missionary Society. In 1855 the districts of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Bermuda and Newfoundland were formed into the Wesleyan Methodist Conference of Eastern British America. For a discussion of the history of the various Methodist bodies in Canada see Neil Semple, The Lord’s Dominion (Montreal, 1996). For a detailed history of the Methodist Church of Canada in Newfoundland and Labrador see D.W. Johnson, Methodism in Eastern British America (Sackville, N.B., 1924).

Brooking & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1850-1869

Brooking & Co. was a St. John's-based mercantile firm, with branches in Trinity and Greenspond between 1850 and 1869. The firm was a successor to Robinson Brooking & Co., a major mercantile company in St. John's in the early 1800s.

Thomas Holdsworth Brooking (b. 1790) came to Newfoundland in 1806-7 as a mercantile clerk in the firm of Hart, Eppes, Gaden & Robinson of St. John's and London. In 1818, when the Newfoundland partner George Richard Robinson (nephew of George Garland) retired to the head office in London, Brooking became the resident partner in Newfoundland. Subsequently, the company traded as Hart, Robinson & Company. In 1838 Robinson & Brooking leased the Garland premises at Trinity.

Following the retirement and death of Robinson in 1850, Brooking continued the firm under the name of Brooking & Co., with William Lockyer as agent at Trinity. The firm relinquished its lease on the Garland premises in 1869, the year in which Brooking died, and the Garland premises were taken over by Grieve & Bremner. Expensive litigation between Brooking's two sons resulted in the rapid demise of the company.

Burgeo Parish

  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

The Burgeo Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. In 1977, the Burgeo Parish dissolved into two parishes: Burgeo Parish, and Ramea Parish.
Churches include:
St. John the Evangelist (Burgeo)
St. Boniface (Ramea)
Transfiguration (Grey River)
St. John the Evangelist (Parson's River) (? - 1974)
St. Simon & St. Jude (Francois)

Burin Presbytery of the United Church of Canada

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1962

Responsibility for the area covered by the Burin District of the Methodist Church of Canada was transferred to the Burin Presbytery of the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Presbytery was briefly (1928-1929) united with St. John's Presbytery. In 1962 Burin Presbytery was merged with Bonavista Presbytery to form Bonavista-Burin Presbytery.

C. & A. Dawe (firm)

  • Corporate body
  • 1877-1925

The firm of C. & A. Dawe of Bay Roberts, Newfoundland, was formed circa 1877 by Captain Charles Dawe (1845-1908) and his brother, Azariah Dawe. It was a typical outport fish merchant operation in that goods were imported and sold to fishermen in exchange for their produce, which was then shipped to foreign markets. C. & A. Dawe may have imported and exported goods and produce on its own account since it was a large firm and probably not dependent on a St. John's supplier.

Captain Charles Dawe was a well-known schooner and steamer master in both the Labrador cod fishery and the sealing industry. Dawe was also active in politics, first sitting as a Conservative MHA for the district of Harbour Grace from 1878 to 1889, and later as representative for Port de Grave from 1893 to 1900. He sat on the Executive Council in the administrations of A. J. Goodridge (1894) and James Winter (1897-1900) and served briefly as leader of the opposition after the resignation of A. B. Morine in 1906.

Before his death in 1908, Charles Dawe wrote a will in which he stipulated that the business be wound up within five years of his death. While evidence exists that the business was wound up by the executors circa 1911, a 1923-1925 ledger confirms that the business was re-formed, either by Azariah, his son Robert, or some other family member.

C.W. Kellock & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1820-

C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant firms and ship brokers in Liverpool and London in the mid-nineteenth century. The company had its origins in a firm established in Liverpool by Daniel Tonge (1788-1848) in 1820. Tonge was a master mariner and shipowner in Liverpool who established himself as a merchant and agent for the sale of ships. By 1846, his son Percival had joined him to form Daniel Tonge and Son. Two years later, Henry Curry (d. 1865) was taken into the partnership, which was renamed Tonge, Curry & Co.

In 1850, Charles Walford Kellock (d. 1897), the son of Henry Gray Kellock, joined the firm as partner with Henry Curry and Percival Tonge. Five years later, the partnership was dissolved, with Percival Tonge continuing under the name of Tonge & Co. and Charles W. Kellock remaining with Henry Curry to form Curry, Kellock & Co. In October 1864, that partnership was dissolved and two companies emerged: H.F. Curry & Co. and C.W. Kellock & Co. H.F. Curry & Co. ceased operations in 1866, the year after Henry Curry's death.

After 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of his brother W.B. Kellock. In 1885, the management of the London office was taken over by George Kay, a partner of C.W. Kellock. In the mid-1800s, Kellock's two eldest sons, William Walter Kellock (d. 1929) and Henry Gray Kellock (d. 1926), joined the company and later became partners. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897. The company continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. Upon their deaths, the management of the company was taken over by various senior partners within the firm. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active.

CBC Northern Service

  • Corporate body
  • 1959, 1967, 1979

CBC Northern Service is a division of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation serving northern Canada. Initially radio transmission in Happy Valley, Labrador began in 1946/47 and was operated by the Canadian Armed Forces. On February 23, 1959 it was taken over by the CBC in order to reach a civilian audience and integrated into the Northern Service. In 1970 it ceased to be part of the Northern Service and became part of Newfoundland regional radio. CBC continues to broadcast to the residents of Labrador through their studio in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

CBC Northern Service

  • Corporate body

CBC Northern Service is a division of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation serving northern Canada. Initially radio transmission in Happy Valley, Labrador began in 1946/47 and was operated by the Canadian Armed Forces. On February 23, 1959 it was taken over by the CBC in order to reach a civilian audience and integrated into the Northern Service. In 1970 it ceased to be part of the Northern Service and became part of Newfoundland regional radio. CBC continues to broadcast to the residents of Labrador through their studio in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

Results 61 to 70 of 342