Showing 1047 results

Authority record

Anglican Parish of Trinity

  • Corporate body
  • 1729-

The Anglican Mission at Trinity dates back to the early 18th century. In 1729, at the request of the
people of Trinity and surrounding areas, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign
Parts sent The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick to establish a mission at Trinity. A church was built soon
after his arrival. The records of births, marriages and burials of the parish began in 1753 and
included communities throughout Trinity Bay. In 1825 Newfoundland became part of the See of
Nova Scotia and in 1839 Bishop Spencer became the first Bishop of the See of Newfoundland. In
the early 1870s the parish of Trinity included communities from English Harbour to British Harbour
including Ireland’s Eye, but by the middle of the decade, a separate parish was established at Trinity
East. Many of the communities that made up the parish were resettled under the provincial
government resettlement program of the 1960s. In 1971 the parish of Trinity combined with the
parish of Trinity East-Port Rexton. This arrangement lasted for a decade and in 1981 the parishes
separated along traditional lines. From 1981 to the present time the parish of Trinity has included
all the communities from Trinity to New Bonaventure.

Anglican Parish of Trinity. Board of Education

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-1958

The Trinity Church of England School Board was formed c.1883, for the purpose of administering the schools of the Parish of Trinity. Schools which came under the jurisdiction of the Board were at Trinity, Lockston, Goose Cove, Dunfield, Trouty, Spaniard’s Cove, Old Bonaventure, New Bonaventure, Kerley’s Harbour, British Harbour, Delby’s Cove and Little
Harbour, Ireland’s Eye and Traytown and Ivanhoe.

School Boards were established as a result of the Education Act of 1876 which stated that schools would be administered by local denominational boards under the supervision of superintendents. The 1876 Act consolidated previous legislation, under which the government’s education grant was divided equally between the Protestant and Roman Catholic church for the administration of schools. Denominational education was entrenched under Term 17 of the Terms of Union in 1949, which confirmed the right of Churches to own and operate their own schools.

The school boards came directly under the Parish, the rector serving as chair of the Board for the parish. The Boards were responsible for organizing elementary education within their district. They built and maintained the school buildings, hired the teachers, maintained the accounts, conducted regular meetings, and made regular reports to the superintendent.

From 1962 to 1969 Trinity and Trinity East - Port Rexton Boards were combined and came under one administration. In 1969 all the Protestant denominations in Newfoundland amalgamated, reducing the number of boards from 229 to 22. The school board for the whole region has since been headquartered in Clarenville.

Source: Minutes of the board; Newfoundland Education Act 1876; Trinity-Port Rexton Board of Education Minutes.

Anglican Parish of Upper Island Cove

  • Corporate body
  • 1815 -

The Parish of Upper Island Cove is made up of three congregations. St. Peter's, Upper Island Cove; St. John the Evangelist, Bishop's Cove; and St. Andrew's, Bryant's Cove. The Parish dates to 1815 when construction began on the first church building at Upper Island Cove.

Anglican Parish of White Bay, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1864 -

The Anglican Parish of White Bay is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. It began as a mission of the parish of Flower's Cove in 1864. Until 2002, it included the church of St. Peter's, Harbour Deep. From 1964-1975, it included the towns of Williamsporte and Englee.
Churches include:
St. Bartholomew (Jackson's Arm)
The Church of Transfiguration (Sop's Arm)
St. Michael and All Angels (Pollard's Point)
Epiphany (Hampden)
St. Peter (Harbour Deep)

Anglican Parish of the Good Shepherd, Mount Pearl, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1986 -

On Sunday, April 13, 1986 (Good Shepherd Sunday) a number of people under the leadership of the Rev. Murray Randell, Rector of the Parish of Mt. Pearl, met to form new congregation in the Newtown area of Mount. Pearl. The congregation was named for 'Jesus the Good Shepherd' and the first Worship Service was held on Sunday September 7, 1986 in the Music Room of Newtown Elementary School. The congregation held their Sunday Services in the gymnasium of that school for about 5 years.
On December 2nd, 1990 the cornerstone of the new church building was laid by Rt. Rev. Martin Mate, Bishop of the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland Labrador. Construction of the new church started in the fall of 1990 and was completed in the spring of 1991. The first Worship Service in the new building was held on Sunday, June 16, 1991. The official opening and Blessing of the new church took place on Sunday, October 21, 1991, presided over by Bishop Martin Mate. On January 1st, 1993 the congregation was given Parish status by the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland Labrador.
In June 1997, Rev. Whitten was elected Bishop of the Diocese of Western Newfoundland and the Rev. Edward King was appointed Priest of the Parish, where he remained until December of 1998. The Rev. Canon Frank Cluett was then appointed pro-tem until the appointment of the Rev. Robin Barrett as Rector in May of 1999, remaining until the fall of 2008. On January 1, 2009 the Venerable Geoff Peddle became our new Rector.

Arts and Culture Centre. Basement Theatre (St. John's, N.L.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Basement Theatre was established in 1973. It was so named because of its location in the basement of the Arts and Culture Centre. The Basement Theatre offers a variety of local professional and amateur dramatic productions, music, comedy, poetry readings and visual art displays. The 75-seat black box theatre is a small, intimate setting for performances of every sort, especially first-time presentations of a play or show designed with a smaller audience in mind.

The Basement Theatre has been a launching pad for many successful shows and has given many new performers, playwrights and production staff a starting point for their careers. The Arts and Culture Centre staff provides assistance to smaller shows in staging, advertising and public relations.

Results 61 to 70 of 1047