Showing 1086 results

Authority record

Cow Head Parish

  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

The Cow Head Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland. From 1964-1974, it included what is now the Port Saunders Parish. In 198?, the parish split and some churches were included in the new Daniel's Harbour Parish.
Churches include:
St. Mary the Virgin (Cow Head)
St. Peter/St. Francis (Parson's Pond)
St. Alban (Sally's Cove)
St. Paul (St. Paul's Inlet)
St. Joseph (Portland Creek)
Holy Cross (Daniel's Harbour)
St. Aidan (Bellburns)
St. Peter (Green Point)
St. Peter (River of Ponds)
Holy Innocents (Hawke's Bay)
St. John the Divine (Port Saunders)

Rose Blanche Parish

  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

The Rose Blanche Parish is a parish of the Anglican Church of Canada in the Diocese of Western Newfoundland.
Churches include:
St. Michael and All Angels (Rose Blanche)
St. George (Burnt Island)
St. Thomas (La Poile)

Anglican Parish of the Good Shepherd, Mount Pearl, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1986 -

On Sunday, April 13, 1986 (Good Shepherd Sunday) a number of people under the leadership of the Rev. Murray Randell, Rector of the Parish of Mt. Pearl, met to form new congregation in the Newtown area of Mount. Pearl. The congregation was named for 'Jesus the Good Shepherd' and the first Worship Service was held on Sunday September 7, 1986 in the Music Room of Newtown Elementary School. The congregation held their Sunday Services in the gymnasium of that school for about 5 years.
On December 2nd, 1990 the cornerstone of the new church building was laid by Rt. Rev. Martin Mate, Bishop of the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland Labrador. Construction of the new church started in the fall of 1990 and was completed in the spring of 1991. The first Worship Service in the new building was held on Sunday, June 16, 1991. The official opening and Blessing of the new church took place on Sunday, October 21, 1991, presided over by Bishop Martin Mate. On January 1st, 1993 the congregation was given Parish status by the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland Labrador.
In June 1997, Rev. Whitten was elected Bishop of the Diocese of Western Newfoundland and the Rev. Edward King was appointed Priest of the Parish, where he remained until December of 1998. The Rev. Canon Frank Cluett was then appointed pro-tem until the appointment of the Rev. Robin Barrett as Rector in May of 1999, remaining until the fall of 2008. On January 1, 2009 the Venerable Geoff Peddle became our new Rector.

Corner Brook Museum and Archives

  • Corporate body

The architectural inventory of Corner Brook was funded by and completed by the Corner Brook Museum and Archives in 2004.

The CBMA officially opened on December of 1997 in the former Corner Brook Public Building. This building was erected during 1925-1926 and housed the Post Office, Telegraph Office, Customs Office and the Law Courts. In 1996 Newfoundland Telephone, the owners at that time donated the building to the City of Corner Brook for usage as a museum. The Corner Brook Museum & Archives Society was formed to fulfill this commitment and in 1997 the City signed an agreement with the CBMAS granting them use of the building to develop a community museum and archive.

In 2009 the City began preparations for the construction of the New City Hall. In October of 2009 the CBMA prepared to close down operations and place over a thousand artifacts into storage within the Museum. The CBMA moved its offices and archives to the another City owned building at Brook Street. After the opening of the New City Hall in the summer of 2011 the CBMA looked again to reoccupy the space that had been its home since 1997. The Museum officially reopened in July of 2012.

Anglican Parish of St. Thomas, St. John's, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1836 -

St. Thomas' Church dates back to the year 1836, when the need was felt for a second Anglican Church in St. John's to service the growing population in the east end of the city. An early painting of St. John's shows the original St. Thomas' as a little church with a prominent tower. This tower is still part of the present church. The church was used as a garrison church by the British soldiers stationed in St. John's until the late 1870s, which led to its nickname, "The Old Garrison Church".
The church escaped the ravages of the great fire which destroyed much of the town in 1846. A change in the wind direction caused the fire to veer off in another direction. The same year, a violent storm is said to have moved the whole building six inches. In an effort to stabilize the structure, the wings, which characterize the present building, were added five years later. In 1874, the increase in the number of parishioners led to the lengthening of the church by thirty feet. The church was again enlarged in 1883 by extending the chancel and adding a vestry and additional space for the organ. The last alteration to the building was made in 1903, when the chancel was again lengthened to provide seating accommodation for over 1300 people. A second great fire in 1892 led to the destruction of the Cathedral but again St. Thomas' was miraculously saved, though most of the city was destroyed.
In the late 1800s, Canon Wood Church Hall was built next to the church to provide an area for meetings and gatherings. Later, a school was built between the Hall and the Church (1927). In 1966 the Church Hall was destroyed in a fire and in 1974 when the St. Thomas' School was closed the building became the "new" Canon Wood Hall.
In 1922, in an area beneath the church, a space was dug out by hand for a small chapel for the Brotherhood of St. Andrew's, a men's service group. This chapel was restored and re-dedicated in 1982.

Anglican Parish of Pouch Cove and Torbay

  • Corporate body
  • 1827 -

From 1787 to 1839, Newfoundland was part of the diocese of Nova Scotia and when Bishop John Inglis of Nova Scotia first visited Newfoundland in 1827, he consecrated eighteen churches around the island, including the first Church at Torbay. This Church served the people of Torbay until 1926 when the cornerstone was laid for the present Church of St. Nicholas.
In 1832, Bishop Inglis again returned to Newfoundland mainly to visit the S.P.G. Schools and it was during this visit on July 7, 1832 that he consecrated the first Anglican Church in Pouch Cove which was named in honour of St. Thomas. This Church was destroyed by fire on January 22, 1882 and plans were made to erect a new building. From the evidence available the cornerstone was laid on All Saints Day, November 1, 1882 and to commemorate this fact, the new Church was named All Saints.
Prior to the appointment of Rev. T.G. Netten as Rector with responsibilities for Pouch Cove and Torbay on April 22, 1900 it seems that services were conducted by lay readers, clergy from St. John's parishes and those appointed in charge of the St. John's outport mission. The Parish formally came in being on March 1, 1923 at a joint meeting of Parishioners from Torbay and Pouch Cove when it was decided to elect a Parish Council.

Anglican Parish of Harbour Grace

  • Corporate body
  • 1764 -

The first Church of England was built in Harbour Grace in 1764 with the establishment of a mission to the community. The cornerstone for the present St. Paul's church was laid by Governor Prescott on August 28, 1835 on the same site as the 1764 church. It was then consecrated by Bishop Spencer on the 4th of July, 1840.
The first concrete evidence that St. Peter's congregation had been formed can be found in 1872. Baptismal records show baptisms for residents in that year. Parish records also show names of communicants from Harbour Grace South starting in December 25, 1872.
A St. Peter's Church for Harbour Grace South Anglicans was constructed between 1872-1875. At a special meeting held on May 17, 1906 collectors for the "new church" fund were appointed for different harbours of "THE LABRADOR" as follows: Carpoon - Thos. H. Sheppard; Fishing Ships - Clem Sheppard & Martin George ; Tub Harbour - James & Josiah Yetman; Seal Islands - Lymen & John Noel; Webbers Harbour - Alex Sheppard & Eliezer Noel; Shoal Tickle - Mark Sheppard; Shoal Bay Islands - Victor Sheppard and Leander Noel; Grady - Jonathan Sheppard; Sandy Islands - Moses Yetman
In 1925 St. Paul's and St. Peter's became one parish.

St. Nicholas Anglican Church, Flat Islands, Bonavista Bay, NL

  • Corporate body
  • 1903 - 1958

Anglican services first began on Flat Islands in the 1850s, with the church being served from the Parish of Salvage. The church remained as part of the parish of Salvage until the resettlement of Flat Islands in 1958

Quebec Airways

  • Corporate body

Quebec Airways was a Quebec based airlines. In 1939 a Quebec Airways plane made a forced landing south of Kaipotok, Labrador. On board the CF-BND aircraft were G.H. Davidson, secretary-treasurer of Macfarlane Son and Hodgson Ltd. of Montreal, J.C. Cote, a timber surveyer, and J. Fecteau, a pilot with Quebec Airways. Davidson had incorporated a company known as The Lake Melville Development Co., which had been granted logging concessions in Labrador by the Newfoundland Commission of Government. When the twin-engine aircraft failed to report after a few days, a land and aerial search party sought the missing plane and its occupants. There were no results. Tom Lyall found an SOS in 1940 when he went seal hunting in the spring. It was found tied to a string and placed inside a 3-gallon cork can located in a cove directly across the Bay from the old house the men died in. James McNeill located the bodies of the three men from the Quebec Airways aircraft in his cabin, in the Labrador wilds near Hopdale

Results 61 to 70 of 1086