Edgar Baird (b. 1910 ) was a resident of Traytown, Newfoundland, and former owner of a logging company.
Edgar Baird (b. 1910 ) was a resident of Traytown, Newfoundland, and former owner of a logging company.
Andrew V. Cleary (1774-1829), Catholic priest, was born in County Wexford, Ireland, in 1774, possibly in Bannow parish and possibly in Moxboley townland. Cleary was a nephew of Rev. Nicholas Devereux and an uncle of Rev. Patrick Cleary, commonly known by his contemporaries as "The Dean."
Cleary studied for the priesthood in Ireland and was ordained there. He came to the Vicariate of Newfoundland at the invitation of Bishop Patrick Lambert, arriving in St. John's in June 1806. Cleary's first appointment was as a curate in the old Cathedral parish, St. John's, where he worked from 1806-1810. In 1810, he was appointed the parish priest of Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia, and remained there until his death on 1 August 1829. He was buried in the priests' plot in Mount Carmel Cemetery, Placentia.
Joseph Taylor (1662/3?-1734), naval officer and Commodore of Newfoundland, was born circa 1662 in England. He died on 23 May 1734.
Taylor joined the merchant service at the age of ten and the Royal Navy on 26 March 1690. On 2 January 1692/3 he was appointed master of HMS Roebuck. He served on a number of ships as first and second lieutenant over the next ten years. He was appointed Captain of his first ship, Charles Gally, on 15 February 1702/3. He served the Navy with distinction, notably in Spain (1708) and captured many enemy ships during his career.
On 31 May 1709 Taylor was made Commodore of the Newfoundland convoy and responsible for the attendant duties which accompanied that position. He arrived in St. John's on 16 August to find the town had been captured by French forces under the command of Saint-Ovide de Brouillan during the preceding winter. The fort and most of the town had been burnt to the ground. Taylor immediately set about rebuilding the fort using crewmen from the naval vessels Litchfield and Rye and naval stores. He encouraged the townspeople to rebuild their houses and other properties. Taylor was successful in having Fort William rebuilt as a stronger and larger fortification. After one year of service as commodore, Taylor returned to naval duty in Europe.
Denis O'Brien (1837?-1889), Catholic priest, was born in the Diocese of Limerick, Ireland. He was ordained a priest on 24 May 1863 by Bishop John Thomas Mullock of Newfoundland.
Following ordination, Rev. O'Brien was appointed vice-president and professor at St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's, Newfoundland, where he taught Latin and Mathematics. He remained with the college from 1882 to 1888. In 1889, he was appointed a curate in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish, St. John's, and served there until 1895. During these years, he organized a night school in St. John's. Upon leaving St. John's, he took an assignment as a missionary in the Diocese of Dubuque, Iowa.
Rev. O'Brien died on 3 September 1899. Those who knew him described him as a fine scholar and a powerful pulpit orator.
Keith Matthews (1938-1984), historian and author, was born in Plympton-St. Mary, near Plymouth, South Devon in 1938 and received his BA (Hons) from Oxford in 1965. In 1967, he accepted a position as lecturer in the Department of History, Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN). He completed his D. Phil in 1968 with a thesis on the West of England/Newfoundland fisheries, becoming a full professor at MUN in 1975. Matthews died in 1984.
In 1971, with David Alexander and Gerald Panting, Matthews established the Maritime History Group, as a centre for the study of maritime history. The mandate of the Maritime History Group included the development of a maritime history archive to support research in all aspects of sea-based activity. He was chair of the Maritime History Group from 1971 until his death.
Matthews is noted for his seminal contributions to the study of maritime history in Newfoundland, particularly the historic links with the West of England, and for his research and publications on merchants engaged in the Newfoundland cod trade. He was responsible for the identification, acquisition, and reproduction of many documents from British repositories, including the Public Record Office, now housed in the Maritime History Archive at MUN. From these he compiled extensive name files related to individuals involved in the early fishery and settlement of Newfoundland.
Alphonsus Gregory Duggan (1884-1971), trade unionist, was born in Holyrood, Conception Bay, Newfoundland, on 21 September 1884, the son of Mary Joy and Patrick Duggan. He married Hannah Mary Voisey of St. John's in 1912; she died in 1927. They had seven daughters: Mary, Margaret, Irene, Gertrude, Dorothy, Rita and Annie. He married Ellen Cahill Benning in 1929. She was a widow with three children: Richard, Mary and Nellie. Duggan died in Grand Falls on 27 July 1971.
Duggan received a sporadic education, and in 1900, he left Newfoundland for Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, obtaining employment in the coal mines. While there, he became a member of the Glace Bay Lodge of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen (1904). This introduced him to trade unionism, which was to play a major role in the rest of his working life. While in Glace Bay, he also furthered his education through night school.
In 1909 Duggan returned to Newfoundland, where he secured employment at the newly-established paper mill, operated by the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company (AND), Grand Falls. He helped organize the local Pulp, Sulphite and Paper Mill Workers, and became the first president. He was also a firm believer in the co-operative movement and in 1919 he helped form the Grand Falls Co-operative Society. In 1949 he attended a conference in Grand Falls sponsored by the Newfoundland government, which led to the formation of the Newfoundland Co-operative Union, a body representing the interests of co-operatives throughout the province. Duggan became first president of the Union, a position he held for many years.
In July 1937, 25 delegates representing several Newfoundland unions met in Grand Falls and formed the Trades and Labour Council of Newfoundland. Duggan was elected its first President, a position he held until 1939. In the latter year, the Trades and Labour Council became the Newfoundland Federation of Labour (NFL).
Duggan was born a Roman Catholic and was a life-long member of that church. He was a founding member of the Knights of Columbus in Grand Falls and served as its Grand Knight. In 1965 he received a Pro Ecclesiae et Pontifice medal from Pope Paul VI for his contribution to church and state. He was also a member of the Order of Elks. He was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire for meritorious public service.
Duggan worked for AND from 1909-50. At the time of his retirement, he was employed in the electric department, and was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).
Alexander Richard Howley (1875-1910), Catholic priest, was born at St. John's, Newfoundland, on 7 September 1875, the second son of Hannah (St. John) and Alexander Howley. He died on 25 January 1910 from pneumonia. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John's.
Sandy Howley completed his early education in St. Patrick's Hall School and St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's. Following graduation from St. Bonaventure's College he spent time as a postulant with the Congregation of the Christian Brothers of Ireland. In 1895 he went to the Irish College in Rome to begin studies for the priesthood; while there he transferred to Propaganda of the Faith College where he completed a doctoral degree in theology. Howley was ordained a priest in the Canadian College at Rome on May 24, 1902 by his uncle, Michael Francis Howley, Bishop of St. John's.
Rev. Howley's first appointment was as curate in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish, St. John's (1902-07). In 1907 he was named curate to his uncle, Rev. John J. St. John, parish priest, St. Joseph's Parish, Salmonier (1907-10). Howley attempted to expand economic opportunities in St. Joseph's by forwarding a petition to the Newfoundland House of the Assembly requesting that the railway be built through the parish. It was while serving in St. Joseph's Parish that Rev. Howley contacted pneumonia and unexpectedly died.
Maureen Volk (1954- ), musician, teacher and reviewer, was born 16 September 1954 at Macklin, Saskatchewan. Volk married Bruce Watson and they have a son, Michael and a daughter, Amie.
Volk graduated from Swift Current Comprehensive High School, Saskatchewan in 1971. She received a Bachelor of Music degree in piano from the University of Regina (1975), a Master of Music in piano from the Julliard School (1977) and a Doctor of Music in piano literature and pedagogy from Indiana University (1992). She pursued professional studies at Julliard (1977-79) and completed the Senior University Administrators course at the Banff Centre (1992). Over the course of her musical studies and career she has received many awards, grants and scholarships for her work, including several Canada Council grants, as well as the Governor General's Medal (1971).
Volk has performed solo with an orchestra on several occasions. She has also done numerous solo recitals for the CBC Radio regional network and chamber music performances which were broadcast on the CBC Radio national network. She was music reviewer for the CBC Radio, St. John's Weekend AM program from 1982-90. She has taught at Memorial University of Newfoundland since 1979 and has been the Director of its School of Music since 1991.
Gertrude (Gert) Crosbie (1925-2004), community volunteer, genealogist, was born in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1925, daughter of Janet (Miller) and Andrew Hamilton Murray. She married A.H. (Bill) Crosbie and they had five children: Janet, Andrea, Paul, David, and Bill.
Ms. Crosbie dedicated a substantial portion of her life to volunteer work. In 1968, with her husband, she helped establish the Virginia Waters School for children with cerebral palsy, an initiative which later resulted in both being named St. John's Citizens of the Year. Ms. Crosbie was also well known for her efforts on behalf of the YWCA, the CNIB, Meals on Wheels and as a board member of the Newfoundland Historic Parks Association. She was inducted as a Member of the Order of Canada and, in 1997, received an honorary doctorate degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland.
A fascination with Newfoundland history, a desire to preserve the genealogical record and a personal friendship with Dr. Keith Matthews led Ms. Crosbie to the Maritime History Archive. Sparked by interest in her ancestors, the Manuels of Twillingate, Crosbie embarked on a 25 year-volunteer research project in collaboration with the MHA to record the birth, death and marriage announcements in Newfoundland's nineteenth-century newspapers.
Patricia Thornton has published several articles on the Straits of Belle Isle, including a demographic study of Newfoundland's coastal frontier and the transition from a migratory to a permanent fishery, 1760s-1880s. Thornton is currently a professor of Geography, Concordia University, Montreal.