Showing 387 results

Authority record
Sears, Thomas
Person · 1824-1885

Thomas Sears (1824-1885), Catholic priest, was born at Ventry, County Kerry, Ireland, in 1824. He immigrated to Nova Scotia with his parents at an early age and grew up in Antigonish County. Sears died at Antigonish on 7 November 1885 and is buried at Antigonish.

Sears was ordained a priest in 1855 for ministry in the Diocese of Arichat (later the Diocese of Antigonish). He was given a pastoral appointment on Cape Breton Island; during his stay he acquired a knowledge of Scottish Gaelic. He served as parish priest at St. Lawrence Parish, Mulgrave. In 1868 he responded to a plea for a Gaelic-speaking priest to serve in western Newfoundland.

Rev. Sears arrived in Newfoundland on 2 November 1868. His first ministry was in the Bay of Islands area, but he relocated to the Codroy Valley where there were many settlers from Cape Breton. He established a reputation as a tireless advocate of government recognition of settlement on a coast that was still adversely affected by the French Shore treaties. In 1870 Sears traveled to St. John's to meet Bishop Thomas Power. In that same year his name was presented to Pope Pius IX by Bishop Power for the office of Prefect Apostolic, St. George's (1870-85).

In 1873 Rev. Sears selected Stephenville as a site for a church and gave the town its name. He supervised the construction of St. Patrick's Church at Woody Point in 1875. In 1881 he visited Pope Leo XIII in Rome to report on the canonical state of the Prefecture of St. George's. He was named a Domestic Prelate by Pope Leo XIII on 11 February 1882, with the title of Monsignor. He organized his parishioners to provide free labour for the erection of ecclesiastical structures and the construction of public works, including roads and schools, particularly in the Codroy Valley. In 1883 St. Ann's Church was built at at Great Conroy River. He was a member of the Board of Trustees for St. Bonaventure's College in 1884.

In 1885, while on a visit to the South Boston area, Rev. Sears became ill and was hospitalized. Upon release from the hospital he attempted to return back to Newfoundland but died at Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

Scanlan, Matthew
Person · 1803-1871

Matthew Scanlan (1803-1871), Catholic priest, was born in 1803. Relatively little is known about Scanlan's early life except that as a teenager, he entered St. John's College, Waterford. He was one of a group of four (along with John Cullen, James Gleeson and Jeremiah O'Neill) to respond to a plea by Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming, St. John's, for volunteers for the Newfoundland mission. The four were ordained together in the Holy Trinity Cathedral , Waterford, by Bishop Foran in 1842 and sailed immediately for St. John's.

Rev. Scanlan was appointed parish priest of Bonavista. His parish was a large geographical area that included King's Cove where he served as curate to Rev. O'Connor. Rev. Scanlan was active in all aspects of the parish including serving on the Roman Catholic School Board of Bonavista Bay South.

Rev. Scanlon died on 14 December 1871.

Scallan, Thomas
Person · 1765-1830

Thomas Scallan (1765-1830), Catholic bishop, was born at Churchtown, Ballymore, County Wexford, Ireland in 1765. He was a nephew of Patrick Lambert, bishop of Newfoundland. Scallan died in St. John's on 29 May 1830 and was buried under the High Altar in the Basilica of St. John the Baptist, St. John's.

Scallon studied for the priesthood at St. Isodore's Franciscan College, Rome. In 1787, he was professed as a member of the Franciscan Order in Rome, and in 1791 was ordained a priest in Rome. Like his uncle, he was appointed lecturer in philosophy at St. Anthony's College, Louvain, Belgium, but was unable to travel there because of war and unrest. He remained in Rome and lectured in philosophy at St. Isidore's College. Rev. Scallon returned to Ireland (1797) and was assigned as a member of the convent of Wexford. Shortly afterwards he joined his uncle in setting up the Franciscan Academy in Wexford. On18 October 1803 he was appointed Guardian of the Convent of St. Francis, Wexford.

At the invitation of Bishop Patrick Lambert, Rev. Scallon arrived at the Newfoundland Mission in 1812. He was appointed Bishop of Drago in partibus (4 April 1815) and coadjutor to Lambert, with the right of succession (dated 26 January 1816,). He was consecrated Bishop in the Friary Parochial Church at Wexford on 1 May 1816 by Archbishop Troy of Dublin, assisted by Bishop Patrick Ryan of Ferns and Kieran Marum of Ossory. The consecration had been delayed for over a year due to confusion in issuing the papal bulls, so the documents had to be re-issued. Scallan arrived in Newfoundland in the summer of 1816 and succeeded Bishop Lambert as Vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland on 23 September 1816.

Despite the lack of priests and the threat of a severe recession, Bishop Scallon continued his responsibilities. During his term of office he strove to cultivate good relations between Protestants and Catholics. He was also successful in persuading more priests to offer their services to his Vicariate. He performed the first ordination of a Roman Catholic priest, Nicholas Devereaux, in Newfoundland, and he stationed assistant priests in Harbour Grace and Placentia.

In 1823 Bishop Scallon suffered an incapacitating stroke which necessitated his spending time in warmer climates. In 1827, he travelled to Rome to report on his area of responsibility. When Bishop Scallon was absent from the Vicariate his duties were carried out by his curate, Reverend Michael A. Fleming. It was also at this time that Bishop Scallon caused controversy by allowing Catholic clergymen to attend Protestant funerals. With the continuing deterioration of his health, he had Fleming appointed Coadjutor Bishop with the right of succession on 28 October 1829. Bishop Scallon died the following spring.

Savin, John D.
Person · 1896-1949

John D. Savin (1896-1949), Catholic priest and orator, was born at Bell Island, Conception Bay, Newfoundland, in 1896 and raised by his adoptive mother, a Mrs. Savin. He died at Verdun, Montreal on 19 May 1949 and was buried at Cote de Neiges Cemetery.

Savin attended St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's (1901-10). Following graduation he worked at the Reid Newfoundland Railway (RNR) Company (1910 -1912). During these years he also pursued a classical course of studies under the direction of Rev. William Kitchen, the parish priest of St. Joseph's Parish, St. John's. In 1912 Savin began his studies for the priesthood at Holy Heart Seminary, Halifax, Nova Scotia, where he was a seminarian from 1912-18. Savin was ordained a priest on 18 June 1918, in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, by Edward Patrick Roche, Archbishop of St. John's.

Rev. Savin's first appointments as curate were at St. Patrick's Parish, St. John's, and Holy Rosary Parish, Argentia, (1918-21). In 1929 Savin was transferred to Sacred Heart Parish, Oderin, Placentia Bay, where he remained for approximately one year (1929-1930). Rev. Savin was recognized as an orator. On 30 March 1930 he delivered an address to the Holy Cross Literary Association on "Some Examples of Character." In 1941 he was appointed as a curate in St. Patrick's Parish, St. John's where he resided until 1949.

Rev. Savin served in the Archdiocese until 1943, when he was advised to go to Montreal for medical care. Gaining only a partial restoration to health, he was advised by his doctors to remain in Montreal. He was assigned light duties in St. Willibrord's Parish, Verdun, Archdiocese of Montreal, where he died in 1949.

Saunders, Sadie
Person · 1898-

Sadie Saunders (Cummings) b. 1898. Private secretary to Sir William Coaker, until 1926. Carbonear correspondent for the Daily News. Married Fred Saunders.

Samuel J. Broomfield
Person

Samuel J. Broomfield (1852-1938) was born in Groswater Bay and lived in Jack Lane Bay, Hunt's River, Big Bay and Davis Inlet, among other parts of Labrador. He was a trapper and warden throughout his life. In 1912, he wrote a letter to King George V congratulating him on his coronation and sending him a present of a handmade sealskin pouch. This letter was publicized in English newspapers. Broomfield married Eliza Learning (1858-1927) from Paradise River. They had 4 sons and 6 daughters and also raised a grandson, John.

Sack, Steve
Person · 1953-

Steve Sack (1953- ), cartoonist, was born in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1953. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife Beth and their son Adam.

Sack started to publish his cartoons while at student at the University of Minnesota in 1976 in that institution's student newspaper, The Daily. In 1978 he became staff editorial cartoonist for the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette. In 1981 he joined the staff of The Minnesota Tribune. With the amalgamation of that newspaper with the Minneapolis Star, he became cartoonist for the new paper, The Minneapolis Star Tribune. Over the years, reprints of Sack's cartoons have appeared in a number of national and international publications such as Time, Newsweek and The Manchester Guardian.

Ryan, John
Person · 1843-1908

John Ryan (1843-1908), Catholic priest, was born in the Parish of Dovay, County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1843. He died at St. John's on 27 September 1908.

Ryan was educated in Thurles College and Mount Mellray, a boarding college for candidates to the priesthood under the direction of the Cistercian Monks. He attended All Hallows College, Dublin, where he completed his studies with a doctorate degree in theology.

Ryan arrived in Newfoundland in October 1865 at the invitation of John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, on 2 February 1866 by Bishop Mullock. His first appointments were as a curate in the following parishes: Assumption Parish, St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay (1866-71), and Holy Rosary Parish, Argentia (1871-73). In 1873 Rev. Ryan was selected as the parish priest at St. Patrick's Parish, St. John's (1873-1908), where he was serving at the time of his death. For many years Rev. Ryan was a member of the Board of Trustees of St. Bonaventure's College.

Ryan, James F.
Person · 1866-1893

James F. Ryan (1866-1893), Catholic priest, was born at Harbour Grace (Baccalieu), Newfoundland, on 28 August 1866, the son of Anne (Fowlow) and John Ryan. He died at Harbour Grace on 17 April 1893 and is buried in the priests' plot in the Catholic cemetery at Harbour Grace.

Ryan was ordained a priest on 1 November 1889. Ryan's first appointment was as a curate in St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, King's Cove, Bonavista Bay (1890-91) under the direction of William Veitch, parish priest.

Ryan, Edmund Joseph
Person · 1863-1949

Edmund Joseph Ryan (1863-1949), bookkeeper, business manager, and merchant, was born at Bonavista, son of Michael and Ellen (Fleming) Ryan. He was a brother of James and Daniel Ryan, two prominent fish merchants. Edmund was educated at St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia. He married Nora Bourke (1888-1951), an Irish nurse from Kildimo, Limerick. They had no children. Edmund Ryan died at St. John's on 8 January 1949. Nora Ryan died at St. John's on 16 January 1951.

Edmund J. Ryan spent most of his working life in the employ of his brothers James and David. He initially worked as a bookkeeper for the Ryan firm at King's Cove. During the summer months he usually went to manage the Ryan branch stores on the coast of Labrador at Batteau and Webbers Harbour. At one stage he was manager of the Ryan whaling station in Hawke's Harbour, Labrador.

In 1906 Edmund Ryan was manager of Ryan Bros. Ltd at Trinity, a newly established firm owned in half shares by James and Daniel. James was also the sole owner of James Ryan of Bonavista and owned half of the firm known as Daniel Ryan & Co. (or Ryan & Co.) of King's Cove. Ryan Bros. Ltd purchased the former Garland premises (previously the Lester premises) in Trinity, primarily as a base to service the Labrador floater fishery, supplying schooners going to Labrador and processing, storing and exporting Labrador-produced salted cod. The firm also took advantage of its location and facilities in Trinity to conduct trade with local inshore fishermen and to operate a large general store. Edmund Ryan managed these operations. When James Ryan died in 1917, his portion of Ryan Bros. Ltd. was inherited by his two sons. When Daniel Ryan died in 1934, he left one-third of his half share to Edmund.

In 1935 Ryan Bros. was reincorporated under new shareholders and remained that way until it closed in 1952. From 1936 onward, Edmund was assisted by his nephew Walter N. White. By the time Edmund died in 1949, Ryan Bros. had completely withdrawn from the saltfish trade and operated only a general store. Edmund J. Ryan had an impressive array of investments and left a considerable estate.

Nora Ryan served as a nurse in World War I. Afterwards she emigrated to Savannah, Georgia in the USA where she met and married Edmund Ryan. She was noted for her philanthropy and during World War II she was in charge of the volunteer Red Cross work in Trinity, making bandages and garments. She contributed much to the restoration and upkeep of the Roman Catholic Church and priest's house at Trinity. As the main heir of her husband, Nora Ryan was able to dispense a very significant estate to her beneficiaries, including relatives in Ireland, the Roman Catholic Church, and sundry other relatives and friends.