Showing 342 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Calypso (ship)

  • Corporate body
  • 1881-1922

The HMS Calypso was a 2814 ton Third Class British naval cruiser, built in Chatham, 1881-84. In October 1902, she was assigned by the British Admiralty as a training ship for the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve. She was stationed at St. John's and remained there until 1914, when she was used to protect Newfoundland shores and shipping during World War One. In 1916 the Calypso was renamed the HMS Briton and retained her function as a naval vessel until 1922 when she was sold to A. H. Murray and Company and used to store salt.

The Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) had been established by the Newfoundland Government in 1902 to strengthen Britain's naval resources in the area. In the same year the British Admiralty assigned the HMS Calypso to train the members of the Reserve. The Reserve maintained ranks of 375 reservists until the declaration of war in 1914. On August 1914 the Royal Naval Reserve was called up for active duty. The number of reservists was increased to over 1000, approaching almost 2000 by war's end in 1918. During the war the naval reservists were dispersed throughout the Royal Navy. The Royal Naval Reserve was decommissioned at the end of 1920.

Canada Summer Games (1977: St. John's, N.L.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

The Canada Games were conceived as a national development program for sport among representatives of all provinces and territories. The first Winter Games were held in February 1967 in Quebec City; the first Summer Games were held in August 1969 in Halifax.

Discussions about the possibility of St. John's hosting some aspect of the Canada Games began as early as 1970. A last-minute initiative in January and February of 1974 by St. John's mayor Dorothy Wyatt, resulted in a successful bid by Newfoundland and Labrador to obtain the 1977 Canada Summer Games. Preparations began as soon as the federal government's decision was announced on 16 March 1974. Newfoundland businessman Andrew Crosbie was appointed president of the Newfoundland and Labrador Canada Summer Games Society. Construction of the facilities were completed by June 1977 and the Games were declared open on 7 August 1977.

Newfoundland and Labrador sent over 200 competitors to the 1977 Summer Games. They competed in sixteen sports: archery, baseball, canoeing, cycling, diving, field hockey, lacrosse, sailing, shooting, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, water polo and water skiing. Newfoundland and Labrador athletes won one gold and three bronze medals during the competition and the Newfoundland and Labrador team won the Centennial Cup for the most improved showing. The games ended on 19 August 1977.

Canadian Forces Base Goose Bay

  • Corporate body
  • 1941-1987

In 1941, the Government of Canada established an airbase in Labrador to protect North America from a German air attack via Greenland, which came under German control after Denmark capitulated during World War II. The Royal Canadian Air Force Station Goose Bay was so-names on April 1, 1942. Soon afterwards the United States Government began to install facilities at the base, and by 1943, it was the world’s largest airport. After the end of World War II, contingents of both the Canadian and the United States Air Forces remained at Goose Bay. The Americans operated their Strategic Air Command from the base until 1976. In 1981, the Department of National Defense operated a permanent air base at Goose Bay, and the Royal Air Force (U.K.), the United States and the West German Air Force all operated commands from Goose Bay as well. Later, agreements were made between the Canadian Government and the Governments of the Federal Republic of West Germany, the U.K., the Netherlands and Italy to conduct low-level flight training at Goose Bay.

Canadian Girls in Training

  • Corporate body
  • 1915 -

Canadian Girls in Training (CGIT) was begun in 1915 in war-time Western Canada when young people were anxious to be of service to the war effort. Boys’ work had already been organized in the form of Trail Ranger and Tuxis groups, and girls wanted their own program.

The idea of CGIT was put forward by a group of Christian leaders - Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian, and by the YM/YWCA. These representatives wanted to create a Christian educational program that would meet the needs of girls 12-17 across Canada. The organization was copyrighted in 1919 and produced its own uniform and pin. The CGIT magazine - “The Torch” - was begun in 1924. The annual Christmas Vesper Service, which provides much of the funding for CGIT nationally was begun in 1940. In 1943 NGIT participated in this service for the first time.

In Newfoundland, the group was called Newfoundland Girls in Training, with the first group being formed in 1923. In 1949 the NGIT members became known as CGIT members.

Since 1947, CGIT had been one of the committees of the Canadian Council of Churches (CCC), Department of Christian Education. This brought about two benefits - the national CGIT Committee contributed and shared in the output and high quality of youth work resources, and CGIT received from the CCC the reminder of broader horizons. The CCC is a member of the World Council of Churches and this adds a further dimension to the scope of the program.

In 1973, streamlining of the national CGIT Committee took place - the 20 members now met biannually to discuss and shape CGIT policy. This Committee is composed of two representatives and one youth from each participating denomination - Baptist, Disciples of Christ, Presbyterian, and United Church, in addition to each province or region sending a committee member. National executive members and national Executive Secretary sit on the Committee.

All provincial CGIT Committees, including Newfoundland, are answerable to the national committee and direct policies, that are national in scope, to the groups within their jurisdiction. They serve as a link between the national committee and groups within each province. This provincial committee also passes on suggestions and needs from the local groups to the national body. In some places where there is a large number of groups there may be a CGIT committee to oversee the work of these regional groups within the provinces; these regional committees are answerable to the provincial committee.

At all levels, there may be subcommittees of the regional, provincial, and national committees to deal with such topics as camp, leadership training, promotion, missionary education, and finance.

Candian Marconi Company

  • Corporate body

Originally founded as The Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company of Canada in 1902, the company became known as Canadian Marconi Company in 1925, then changed to BAE Systems Canada Inc. in 2000 and in April of 2001 it became CMC Electronics Inc.
Marconi, Guglielmo, for whom the Canadian Marconi Company was named, (1874-1937) was born in Bologna, Italy, to Giuseppe and Annie (Jameson) Marconi. He married Beatrice O'Brien and later Cristina Bezzi-Scali. Marconi was awarded the Nobel Prize for physics in 1909 as a result of experiments in wireless telegraphy begun in the 1890s and culminating in 1901 with the reception of the first transatlantic transmission at Signal Hill, St. John's. Marconi first decided to attempt two-way wireless communication across the Atlantic from Poldhu, Cornwall to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. When the Poldhu antenna became damaged and the Cape Cod antenna was destroyed in a storm, Marconi changed his North American location to St. John's because of its closeness to the weakened Poldhu transmitter. On December 9,1901 Marconi began setting up a receiving station in an old military barracks on Signal Hill. On December 14, Marconi received the first transatlantic signal, the letter "S"(Morse code: ...) tapped out at his 25,000 Watt English station, a distance of 1,800 miles. Then, on January 18, 1903, he transmitted a 48-word message from Cape Cod to England, and promptly received a reply. It was the first two-way transoceanic communication, and the first wireless telegram between America and Europe, a distance of some 3,000 miles. Marconi's system was soon adopted by the British and Italian vies for ship-to-shore communications, and by 1907 had been so much improved that transatlantic wireless telegraph service was established for public use. Marconi accepted a Canadian government grant to build the transatlantic terminal at Glace Bay, Nova Scotia. Another station was built at Clifton, Ireland, and in October 1907 commercial transatlantic communication was begun. In 1905 Newfoundland received a wireless station installed by Marconi himself at Cape Race, then under Canadian jurisdiction. Marconi continued perfecting his inventions and developing new wireless technology such as the short-wave transmitter/receiver and navigational direction finding equipment, as well as doing preliminary work on radar. Marconi died in Italy on July 20, 1937.

Carbonear Presbytery of the United Church of Canada

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1962

Responsibility for the area covered by the Carbonear District of the Methodist Church of Canada was transferred to the Carbonear Presbytery of the United Church of Canada in 1925. In 1962 the Presbyteries of St. John's and Carbonear were amalgamated to form Avalon Presbytery.

Cathedral Chapter

  • Corporate body
  • 1896 - 1914

Formed in June 1896. Its purpose and functions are best described in minute book, which contains the inaugural address by the Bishop.

Church Lads' Brigade (Trinity East - Port Rexton, N.L.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1912-

The Church Lads’ Brigade was established in Fulham Parish, London by W. M. Gee, who was to become the first Colonel of the Brigade. The objective of the Brigade was “the advancement of Christ’s Kingdom among lads of all classes, the promotion of charity, reverence, patriotism, discipline, self respect and all that tends towards Christian manliness.”

Mr. Harold Blackler made the suggestion to the Right Rev. Llewellyn Jones about forming a company in Newfoundland and on November 18, 1892 the St. John’s Brigade became the first overseas member in the British Empire. The organizations motto, “Fight the Good Fight” was taken from the text of Ephesians and the Brigade was formed along para-military lines, using Imperial Army drill.

The Trinity East - Port Rexton Church Lads’ Brigade (C.L.B.) Company #3805 began in 1912 under the command of Dr. Conrad T. Fitzgerald. Its goal is to bring together the youth of the community into an environment that promotes goodwill, discipline, self-respect and genuine Christian character.

The C.L.B. while once only a boys organization is now open to both boys and girls ages 5-19 and is divided into the following units: Little Training Corps (L.T.C), ages 5&6; Youth Training Corps (Y.T.C.), ages 7-9; Junior Training Corps (J.T.C.), ages 10-12; Senior Corps (S.C.), ages 13-19; and Officers, ages 19 and over.

Church of England Women's Association (English Harbour, N.L.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1876-[199-]

The Church of England Women’s Association (C.E.W.A) was founded in 1876 at Heart’s Content. The C.E.W.A promoted Christian unity and fellowship at home and overseas. The C.E.W.A was formed in English Harbour December 19th, 1925 and an Altar Guild was formed in May 1929, eight women from the congregation attended the first meeting. The group was formed with the purpose of changing and preparing the altar and work included cleaning the brass and making new altar cloths. The Guild also carried out other work such as sewing, knitting, embroidery, etc. that they sold at their regular sales of work at Easter and during the Fall of the year. Proceeds from these sales were donated to various charities at home and abroad as well as contributions were made to the Rector’s stipend and church repairs.

The organization became known as the Anglican Church Women’s Association, (A.C.W.A), after restructuring in 1969. In 1976 the word “Association” was omitted and a new organization was formed, the Anglican Church Women (A.C.W.). The A.C.W. closed in English Harbour in the late 1990's due to the small number of members in the organization.

Results 71 to 80 of 342