Showing 1076 results

Authority record

Arts and Culture Centre. Basement Theatre (St. John's, N.L.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Basement Theatre was established in 1973. It was so named because of its location in the basement of the Arts and Culture Centre. The Basement Theatre offers a variety of local professional and amateur dramatic productions, music, comedy, poetry readings and visual art displays. The 75-seat black box theatre is a small, intimate setting for performances of every sort, especially first-time presentations of a play or show designed with a smaller audience in mind.

The Basement Theatre has been a launching pad for many successful shows and has given many new performers, playwrights and production staff a starting point for their careers. The Arts and Culture Centre staff provides assistance to smaller shows in staging, advertising and public relations.

Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador

  • Corporate body
  • 1954-

The establishment of the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland (ARNN) was initiated by members of the Newfoundland Graduate Nurses' Association (NGNA) (1913-1949). Following Newfoundland's confederation with Canada (1949), the NGNA membership approached the Canadian Nurses' Association (CNA) for assistance in organizing a provincial registered nurses' association. The Newfoundland Registered Nurses Act, which established ARNN, was passed in the House of Assembly on 23 May 1953 and became effective in January 1954. Revisions to the act were made in 1970, 1992, 1996, and 1997. In 1999, the name of the association was changed to the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (ARNNL).

The 6,000-member ARNNL is responsible for ethical and professional standards in nursing education and practice. It registers nurses in Newfoundland, a function formerly performed by the Newfoundland Department of Health. Its membership consists of all nurses, practising or non-practising, who are currently registered in the province.

ARNNL is governed by a volunteer Council, which is composed of 13 registered nurses elected for a two-year term at the annual general meeting and two consumer representatives appointed by the Minister of Health. Between meetings of the Council, the Executive Committee executes the functions of Council. Chapters may be established by local membership in accordance with guidelines approved by ARNNL.

ARNNL liaises with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses Union, the Newfoundland and Labrador Health Care Corporation, the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association, and the Newfoundland Medical Board. It is affiliated with the CNA, the International Council of Nurses, and the Canadian Nurses Protective Society.

Assumption Parish (Roman Catholic), St. Mary's (NL)

  • Corporate body
  • 1834-

Assumption Parish was established in 1834 and included the communities from Portugal Cove South to St. Vincents. However, Assumption Parish was divided twice. When Holy Redeemer Parish was established (ca. 1845), Portugal Cove South, Trepassey and St. Shotts were separated from Assumption Parish. In 1923, the communities of Peter's River, St. Stephen's, and St. Vincent's were removed from Assumption Parish to create Sacred Heart Parish. Assumption Parish currently includes the communities of Riverhead, Mall Bay, Coot's Pond, Path End, St. Mary's, Point La Haye and Gaskiers, with the parish church at St. Mary's.

The first parish priest assigned to Assumption Parish was Rev. James Duffy. However, priests visited St. Mary's prior to Father Duffy's arrival. Rev. Timothy Browne, for instance, who was stationed at Renews, performed 13 marriages at St. Mary's in 1825 and 1826.

By 1840 Rev. Duffy had established a church and school in St. Mary's; this church was dismantled in 1949 and rebuilt by 1950. Aside from the original school established by Rev. Duffy, a commercial school was opened in 1851. With the arrival of the Presentation Sisters to the parish in 1859, a convent school was established at St. Mary's.

Some of the communities in Assumption Parish also had their own church and school, including Riverhead and Mall Bay, which had a small chapel built sometime between 1895 and 1905 (replaced ca. 1963). Schools were also established in Mall Bay (1944), at the Gulch, Point La Haye (1943) and Gaskiers and Point La Haye (1951).

Parochial organizations in Assumption Parish included the Crusaders of Mary, the Children of Mary, the St. Anne Society and the Holy Name Society.

Attenborough, Frederick

  • Person
  • fl.1935

Frederick Attenborough (fl. 1935), was a teacher and diarist who traveled to Newfoundland via Edinburgh and Liverpool in the summer of 1935. Little is known about Attenborough beyond what can be discerned from his diary. At the time of his trip, he resided at 43 Milton Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. He was a schoolmaster at Burton Grammar School. In July and August 1935, he took his annual summer holiday abroad. He had no travelling companions, but he did make several acquaintances on board the SS Nova Scotia. His trip extended from 29 July to 31 August.

Attenborough's holiday took him by ship to parts of Newfoundland and Canada. He remained in St. John's from 8 August to 11 August, returning again from 23 August to 25 August. Attenborough visited many sites such as Bowring Park, Cabot Tower and Government House.

Avalon Presbytery

  • Corporate body
  • 1962-

In 1962 the Presbyteries of St. John's and Carbonear were amalgamated to form Avalon Presbytery. In 1968, a further consolidation took place and Avalon Presbytery was extended to include the territory formerly covered by Burin Presbytery . This was done in order to take advantage of the new network of roads that had been built in the interior of the province.

Within the Presbytery various smaller geographic interest groups or Zones were formed. Of these, the most visible was the St. John's or Metro Zone, whose activities are reflected in the sub-series. In 1985 the pastoral charges in the St. John's area were reconstituted as St. John's Presbytery and were removed from Avalon Presbytery's jurisdiction. Avalon Presbytery was included in the East District at the time of re-organization in 1992.

Avalon Presbytery of the United Church of Canada

  • Corporate body
  • 1962-1992

In 1962 the Presbyteries of St. John's and Carbonear were amalgamated to form Avalon Presbytery. In 1968, a further consolidation took place and Avalon Presbytery was extended to include the territory formerly covered by Burin Presbytery. This was done in order to take advantage of the new network of roads that had been built in the interior of the province.

Within the Presbytery various smaller geographic interest groups or Zones were formed. Of these, the most visible was the St. John's or Metro Zone, whose activities are reflected in the sub-series. In 1985 the pastoral charges in the St. John's area were reconstituted as St. John's Presbytery and were removed from Avalon Presbytery's jurisdiction. Avalon Presbytery was included in the East District at the time of re-organization in 1992.

Aylward, Thomas

  • Person
  • 1829-1902

Thomas Aylward (1829-1902), mariner, was born at Falmouth, Nova Scotia in 1829. He died at Windsor on 21 March 1902.

In 1854 Aylward obtained his Master Mariner's certificate in London. His first command was on the ship China. He later commanded the British Queen and the Nile. He commanded vessels for the firm of John S. DeWolfe & Co. of Liverpool, England which sailed to India and Australia, and for Bennett Smith of Windsor, Nova Scotia. For several years he was managing owner of the ship Avoca and the barquentines St. Croix, St. Paul and St. Peter.

Alyward was a member of the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church of Windsor, Nova Scotia and was on the building committee of the church, St. John's United, erected in 1899.

Baggs, John P.

  • Person
  • [19-]

John P. Baggs was a member of the Newfoundland Constabulary. He was stationed at Trinity from 1940 to 1950.

Results 71 to 80 of 1076