Mostrando 1046 resultados

Registro de aurtoridad

Gosse, Chancey & Ledgard (Firm)

  • Entidade coletiva
  • [18-]-1914

Gosse, Chancey & Ledgard was an English, Poole-based mercantile firm engaged in the Newfoundland trade in the early nineteenth century, with headquarters in Carbonear, Conception Bay, Newfoundland. The three principals were John Gosse, a merchant of Ringwood, Hampshire; Thomas Chancey, a merchant of Poole, and George W. Ledgard, a banker of Poole. Gosse served as the resident manager in Carbonear until 1817.

John Gosse (1767-1834) was originally employed with the firm of George and James Kemp in Poole, England, prior to his move to Newfoundland in 1789. Gosse severed his connection with the Kemp firm in 1801 and formed a partnership with Chancey and Ledgard, establishing the mercantile firm Gosse, Chancey and Ledgard. Chancey died sometime before 1815, but Gosse and Ledgard continued their partnership until 1817.

That year, Gosse went to England, where he formed a partnership with English banker, William Fryer and Robert Pack. Gosse managed the firm Gosse, Fryer and Pack in Poole until he died. George Ledgard formed a banking firm, George Ledgard & Sons, in Poole, Dorset, in 1821. The company was amalgamated with Lloyd's Bank Limited in 1914.

Royal Canadian Legion

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1925-

The Royal Canadian Legion undertook a project in 1984 to commemorate its Diamond Jubilee. The project involved interviewing Legionnaires from 245 Branches of the Royal Canadian Legion across Canada.

Knight, William

  • Família
  • 1722-1843

William Knight (1722-1799) and his son Benjamin Knight (1767-1843) were shoremen from Marblehead, Massachusetts, who were involved in the deep sea cod fishery. In addition to owning several schooners, the family outfitted voyages from their waterfront chandlery, retailed provisions and dry goods to fishing families, and kept a flakeyard in Marblehead where they employed retired mariners to dry the cod from their vessels. William conducted the business until his death in 1799, when it passed to his son Benjamin, who operated it through to 1833.

Curran, Edward Francis

  • Persona
  • 1873-1912

Edward Francis Curran (1873-1912), Catholic priest, was born at St. John's, Newfoundland, on 18 September 1873, the son of Mary Ann (Gaule) and John Curran. Curran was killed on 27 January 1912, in an explosion of acetylene gas, while attending his auxiliary power engine. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John's.

Curran was educated St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's (1884-90), and completed his studies for the priesthood at Concliffe College, Ireland (1891-99). During the las year of his programme of studies, he attended the Canadian College at Rome (1899-1900).

Curran was ordained in Dublin by Archbishop Walsh on 15 October 1900. Following his return to the Diocese of St. John's, Rev. Edward F. Curran was appointed as a curate in Holy Trinity Parish, Torbay (1900-12); he resided at Pouch Cove until his accidental death in 1912.

St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), St. Joseph's (NL)

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1872-

St. Joseph's Parish was established in 1872. At that time, the parish encompassed the communities on both sides of Salmonier Arm as well as Muscle Pond (now called O'Donnell's) and Admiral's Beach which are located to the south of the south side of Salmonier Arm. Other communities such as Mother Rex and Mosquito on Colinet Island, Harricott, Colinet, Pinch Gut Tickles (later known as Assumption Passage), Forrestral (later known as North Harbour), John's Pond and Cape Dog were also included in St. Joseph's Parish because of their close proximity to Salmonier Arm. The ecclesiastical centre of the parish was St. Joseph's, St. Mary's Bay.

In 1927 the communities of Mount Carmel-Mitchell's Brook-St. Catherine's, Harricott, Colinet and North Harbour were separated from St. Joseph's in order to form a new parish, Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Currently, St. Joseph's Parish includes the communities of Forest Field, New Bridge, St. Joseph's, O'Donnell's and Admiral's Beach.

Initially, St. Joseph's Parish was administered by Father James Duffy of Assumption Parish, St. Mary's. The first priest appointed to St. Joseph's Parish was Father John J. St. John who came in 1874 and stayed for twenty-two years, until 1896. Another long serving priest was Father John Michael Enright who arrived in 1919 and stayed until his death in 1966. In 1989, the parish found itself without a priest and realized that, due to a shortage of priests, they would not be receiving another. Instead, Archbishop Alphonsus Penny appointed a Pastoral Team to the parish which was made up of a priest administrator and two Sisters of Mercy. By 1995, however, this team no longer existed and there was some discussion of amalgamating St. Joseph's Parish with Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish. In the end, this notion was rejected. Currently, St. Joseph's is maintained as a separate parish while being administered by the parish priest of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

While a Roman Catholic chapel was built in St. Joseph's sometime around 1840, a larger church was not built until 1866. This church served the people of the parish for 89 years. In 1975, however, the church was deemed unsafe and a new one had to be built. The fonds does not give a lot of detail on the smaller chapels in the communities of St. Joseph's Parish. One correspondence from 1960, however, does mention that an old school chapel on the lower end of the south side of O'Donnell's had deteriorated beyond repair and had to be taken down.

Likewise, the fonds does not give a lot of information on the early establishment of schools in this parish. Outside sources say, however, that the school chapel at O'Donnell's was probably built in 1921. It is also mentioned that, prior to 1966, Newbridge had a one room school which taught up to grade eight. The high school students from Newbridge had to attend school at Mount Carmel and seek board with other families. A form in the fonds suggests that by 1960, there were also schools at St. Joseph's and Admiral's Beach. By this time a new school had also been built at O'Donnell's. In the late 1960's, however, centralization of schools took place all over Newfoundland and, in 1968, a regional high school, Enright Memorial Academy, was opened.

C.W. Kellock & Co.

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1820-

C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant firms and ship brokers in Liverpool and London in the mid-nineteenth century. The company had its origins in a firm established in Liverpool by Daniel Tonge (1788-1848) in 1820. Tonge was a master mariner and shipowner in Liverpool who established himself as a merchant and agent for the sale of ships. By 1846, his son Percival had joined him to form Daniel Tonge and Son. Two years later, Henry Curry (d. 1865) was taken into the partnership, which was renamed Tonge, Curry & Co.

In 1850, Charles Walford Kellock (d. 1897), the son of Henry Gray Kellock, joined the firm as partner with Henry Curry and Percival Tonge. Five years later, the partnership was dissolved, with Percival Tonge continuing under the name of Tonge & Co. and Charles W. Kellock remaining with Henry Curry to form Curry, Kellock & Co. In October 1864, that partnership was dissolved and two companies emerged: H.F. Curry & Co. and C.W. Kellock & Co. H.F. Curry & Co. ceased operations in 1866, the year after Henry Curry's death.

After 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of his brother W.B. Kellock. In 1885, the management of the London office was taken over by George Kay, a partner of C.W. Kellock. In the mid-1800s, Kellock's two eldest sons, William Walter Kellock (d. 1929) and Henry Gray Kellock (d. 1926), joined the company and later became partners. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897. The company continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. Upon their deaths, the management of the company was taken over by various senior partners within the firm. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active.

Day, James Wentworth

  • Persona
  • 1899-1983

James Wentworth Day (1899-1983), writer, publisher and editor, was born on 21 April 1899 in Suffolk, England. He was the son of J.T. Wentworth Day and Martha Ethel Staples. In 1943, Day married Marion Edith McLean. He died on 4 January 1983.

Day was a prolific writer, publishing several books and editing various magazines and newspapers. He was a writer for several English newspapers including the Sunday Express, Daily Express, and Evening Standard. He served as a war correspondent in France in 1940. In 1950 and 1951 Day contested the electoral seat of Hornchurch Division in Essex for the Conservative party.

Vereker, John T.

  • Persona
  • 1823-1867

John T. Vereker (1823-1867), Catholic priest, was born at Slieverue, Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1823. He was one of four brothers who were priests, all of whom ministered in Canada. Vereker died of typhoid fever on 29 July 1867 at the episcopal residence in St. John's. He is buried in Belvedere Cemetery.

Vereker was educated in St. Johns College, Waterford, Ireland, and was ordained a priest in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, on 13 October 1850 by John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of Newfoundland.

Vereker initially served as a curate in St. Peter and St. Paul Parish, Harbour Main (1856). In 1856 he was appointed a professor at St. Bonaventure's College, St. John's (1856-62). In addition to this position, he was responsible for maintaining the business records for the Cathedral Parish where the episcopal residence and library were under construction.

Rev. Vereker was subsequently appointed to the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist, St. John's (1864-65), and the Immaculate Conception Parish, Harbour Grace (1866) where he died in 1876. Two nieces (Monica and Elizabeth Greene) and a grandniece (Patricia Fleury) joined Presentation Congregation in Newfoundland.

Resultados 61 a 70 de 1046