Showing 387 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Burness, Dr. A.T.H.
Persoon · 1934-1991

Alfred Thomas Henry Burness (1934-1991), medical researcher and Professor of Molecular Virology, was born on 10 February 1934 in Birmingham, England, the son of Alfred Charles Burness and Ivy Ravenall. Dr. Burness was one of four children; he had two brothers, Ron and John Leslie, and a sister, Barbara (Lynam). On 25 April 1959, Dr. Burness married Brenda Woods at Liverpool, England, and they had two sons, Gary Paul and Bradley Miles.

Dr. Burness received his early education at the Smith Street Primary School and the George Dixon Grammar School in Birmingham. He went on to earn his PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Liverpool in 1959. Dr. Burness worked in Surrey from 1959 to 1962. He then moved to the United States and took up a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California at Berkeley (1962-1963). After this he returned to Surrey until 1968, when Dr. and Mrs. Burness moved to White Plains, New York State. There Dr. Burness joined the Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research in New York (1968-1971). From 1971 to 1976, they lived in Stamford, Connecticut. In 1976, Dr. and Mrs. Burness left the United States and moved to Newfoundland, where Dr. Burness took up a position with the Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Dr. Burness was the recipient of many awards and honours. In 1983, he won the Medical Research Council of Canada Visiting Scientist Award, which enabled him to spend a year at the Australian National University in Canberra (1983-1984). In 1987, he won the Alberta Heritage Foundation Visiting Lecturer Award. In 1989, Dr. Burness shared the Dr. Albert R. Cox Research Award (a grant of $25,000 awarded for outstanding research at Memorial University) with Dr. Kanwal Richardson for their virus research.

While Dr. Burness was at Memorial University, his scientific work earned in excess of $850,000 in research funding and equipment support from the Medical Research Council, the National Cancer Institute of Canada and the Canadian Diabetes Association. Dr. Burness also published extensively: he wrote numerous articles, papers and books about his medical research specialty, virology.

Dr. Burness was a member of various scholarly societies: the American Society for Virology, the Society for General Microbiology (United Kingdom), the Royal Society of Chemistry (Britain), and the Biochemical Society (United Kingdom). In his spare time, Dr. Burness pursued interests in astronomy and photography.

When Dr. and Mrs. Burness came to Newfoundland they lived in Portugal Cove-St. Phillips, where Mrs. Burness still resides. At the age of 57, Dr. Burness died of cancer on 26 October 1991 at Portugal Cove-St. Phillips. The Dr. Alfred Burness Graduate Student Award was established after his death in honour of his contribution to medical education at Memorial.

Cox, Dr. A.R.
Persoon · 1928-

Albert Reginald Cox (1928-), physician, Dean of Medicine and Vice-President Academic, Memorial University of Newfoundland, was born in Victoria, British Columbia on 18 April 1928, the son of Reginald Herbert Cox and Marie Christina Cox (nee Fraser). In May 1954, Dr. Cox married Margaret Dobson at Vancouver, British Columbia and they have three children: Susan M., David J. and Steven F.

Dr. Cox was educated at Victoria High School and then attended Victoria College, Victoria, British Columbia (1946–1948). Dr. Cox earned a BA in 1950 and a MD in 1954 from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia. Both Dr. Cox and his wife were in the first class (1950) of Medical Studies at the newly opened Faculty of Medicine, UBC. Margaret Cox earned her MD there in 1955.

After graduating from Medical School, Dr. Cox served his internship at the Vancouver General Hospital (1954-1955), and then worked a residency there (1955-1959). Dr. Cox was certified as Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) in 1955. He also received a licensure for the State of Washington (1959-1964), British Columbia (1961-1988), and Newfoundland (1969-1991). From 1955 to 1959, he served in the Armed Forces, holding the position of Flight Lieutenant (Medical Officer), Royal Canadian Air Force (Auxiliary). Dr. Cox was British Council Scholar, London Postgraduate Medical Program (Hammersmith Hospital), National Heart Hospital (September 1956 - June 1957). Continuing his education, Dr. Cox pursued Fellowship Training in Pharmacology and Cardiology at the University of Washington, Seattle (1959-1961).

Dr. Cox completed several special programs, including Teacher Training Program (6 weeks), Faculty of Medicine, University of Illinois (1965), and Epidemiology and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, American Heart Association (26 July – 8 August 1987). While on sabbatical, Dr. Cox was Special Student, Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health (September 1987 - June 1988), Visitor, Faculty of Medicine, Hobarth University, Tasmania (June 1988), Visiting Professor, University of Melbourne, Australia (July 1988), and Visitor, Faculty of Medicine, Flinders University, Australia (July 1988). Dr. Cox’ studies were paralleled by several academic publications throughout his career.

Over the years, Dr. Cox held a variety of academic and professional positions and appointments including: Instructor, followed by Assistant Professor, and then Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia (1962-1969); Professor and Chairman of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1969-1974); Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1972-1974); Dean of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1974-1987); Vice-President, Health Sciences and Professional Schools, and Vice-President Academic (Acting), Memorial University of Newfoundland (1988-1990), and Vice-President Academic, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1990-1991).

Dr. Cox held the following hospital appointments: Attending Staff, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia (1962-1969); Active Staff, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1980); Chairman of Medicine, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1974); Chief, Division of Cardiology, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1971-1974); Senior Consultant (Medicine), St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Grace General Hospital and Janeway Child Health Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1974); Executive Medical Advisory Committee, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1970-1974); Honorary Consultant, St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Grace General Hospital, Janeway Child Health Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1975-1991); and Consulting Staff, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1981-1991).

Dr. Cox received many awards and distinctions throughout his career, including the following: Horner Prize and Gold Medal for highest standing in subject of Medicine (1954); Mead Johnson Fellowship of American College of Physicians (1955); General Lifeco Hawthorne K. Dent Fellowship in Cardiology (1959-1961); Canadian Life Insurance Medical Fellowship (1966-1970); Dr. Wallace Wilson Leadership Award, Medical Alumni Association, University of British Columbia (1986); Honorary Membership, College of Family Physicians of Canada (1987); Member, Order of Canada (1989); and 75th Anniversary Alumnus Award, University of British Columbia (Membership), (1954-1990).

Dr. Cox served on several Memorial University committees including: Chairman, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, Faculty of Medicine (1969-1973); Chairman, Human Experimentation Committee (1969-1971); Planning and Development Committee for the Health Sciences Centre (1971-1978); Organization and Management Committee for the Health Sciences Centre (1974-1975); Integrating and Co-ordinating Committee of the Health Sciences Centre (1975-1987); Health Sciences Complex Committee (1975-1991); Joint Liaison Committees, University and Affiliated Teaching Hospitals (1974-1987); University Senate (1974-1991); Chairman, Governing Committee for the Labrador Institute of Northern Studies (1989-1991); Advisory Committee, Gerontology Centre (1989-1991); and Advisory Board, Faculty of Business Administration (1989-1991). Dr. Cox also served on several University of British Columbia committees (1963-1969).

Dr. Cox played an active role on several other committees and boards in Newfoundland, including: Board of Newfoundland and Labrador Computer Services, Ltd. (1975-1977); Board of International Grenfell Association (1973-1983); Member, St. John’s Hospital Council (1984-1991); Board of Directors, General Hospital, St. John’s (1984-1987); Medical Advisory Committee, Newfoundland Division, Canadian Heart Foundation (1987); Medical Advisory Committee, Newfoundland Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation (1987); and Board of Management, Agnes Pratt Home (1989-1991). Dr. Cox was also on the Executive, Medical Alumni Division University of British Columbia Alumni Association (1992-1997). Dr. Cox, throughout his career, was also on several committees in other provinces as well as on a national level.

Dr. Cox has been a member of several professional and learned societies. These include: Alpha Omega Honour Medical Society, University of British Columbia (1953-1992) and counselor (1966-1969); Fellow, Royal College Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCP), (1959 - present); Sigma Xi (1959-1992); Canadian Medical Association (1961-1992); British Columbia Medical Association (1961-1969); Canadian Cardiovascular Society (1962 - present); Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), (1968 - present); American Heart Association (1967-1992); Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC), (1968 - present); Newfoundland Medical Association (1969 - present); Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation (1970-1992); Association of Canadian Medical Colleges (Council), (1976-1991); and Canadian Intern Matching Service (1980-1984).

Dr. Cox retired in October 1991. In his spare time, Dr. Cox is interested in horticulture, specifically organic farming of vegetables and major crops of garlic; photography; and the Sylvan Pastoral Charge, United Church of Canada. Dr. and Dr. Cox presently reside in British Columbia, Canada.

Londergan, Thomas
Persoon · 1729-1787

Thomas Londergan (1729-1787), Catholic priest, was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1729. He was ordained a priest circa 1778 in Cologne, Germany.

Rev. Londergan arrived in Placentia, Newfoundland, from France on his own initiative in 1783. He clashed with Rev. James Louis O'Donel, superior of the Newfoundland Mission, while carrying out active pastoral ministry on the island. He was ordered out of Placentia by Governor John Campbell in 1785. During his brief time in Newfoundland, he served in the following parishes: St. John the Baptist Parish, St. John's; Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia; and St. Patrick's Parish, Fogo.

Rev. Londergan died at Fogo 25 October 1787. It is thought that he was the first priest to die in Newfoundland, and perhaps the first person to be buried in the cemetery at Fogo.

Walsh, Kyran
Persoon · 1809-1868

Kyran Walsh (1809-1868), Catholic priest, was born at Mencken, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in September 1809. Walsh died at Conception Bay on 4 September 1868 and is buried in the parish cemetery at Harbour Main. Walsh was an uncle of Revs. Michael and John Walsh who also served in Newfoundland.

Walsh was educated in the schools of his home parish and pursued his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary College, Waterford. Following completion of his course of studies in philosophy and theology, Walsh was invited by Michael Anthony Fleming, bishop of St. John's, to serve in Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest on 25 August 1839 by Bishop Fleming in the Presentation Convent Chapel, Cathedral Square, St. John's.

Rev. Walsh's first appointment was in the old Cathedral Parish, St. John's. Shortly after Rev. Walsh's arrival, Bishop Fleming decided to construct a new cathedral in the city. In preparation for this extensive project, Rev. Walsh supervised the gathering of the stone for the Cathedral. He also travelled in the United States collecting funds for the construction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1840-42).

Rev. Walsh also introduced Newfoundland Catholics to the Irish temperance movement founded in Cork in April 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew. His efforts resulted in the establishment of the Newfoundland Temperance Society (and its successor organizations, the Total Abstinence Society and the Total Abstinence and Temperance Society). By 1850 the Total Abstinence Society, under its president Father Walsh, had branches in several communities including Torbay, Harbour Main, Brigus and Harbour Grace.

In 1850 Rev. Walsh was appointed parish priest of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay. Shortly afterwards Bishop Fleming recalled him to St. John's to continue his invaluable work on the construction of the Cathedral (1850-1857). Rev. Kyran Walsh also served as Vicar General to Bishop Fleming for several years.

In 1857 Fleming's successor, Bishop John Thomas Mullock appointed Rev. Walsh as the first parish priest of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish, Harbour Main, where he remained until his death in 1868.

Gardiner, Sylvester
Persoon · 1707-1786

Sylvester Gardiner (1707-1786), physician and pharmacist, was born in South Kingston, Rhode Island, in 1707. He studied medicine in Boston and later opened a practice there. From medicine, he branched out into the pharmaceutical trade. Gardiner became a wealthy man and continued to generate wealth through his investments in real estate. He died on 8 August 1786.

When the American Revolution commenced, Gardiner supported the British (Loyalist) cause. When Boston was evacuated in 1776, he moved to Halifax, leaving most of his property behind. He spent some time in Newfoundland in the years 1783-85. After the end of the American Revolution, Gardiner returned to New England, settling in Newport, Rhode Island.

Tudor, Hugh
Persoon · 1871-1965

Henry Hugh Tudor (1871-1965), soldier, was born in England in 1871, son of Rev. Harry Tudor, Sub-Dean of Exeter Cathedral. He died on 25 September 1965.

Hugh Tudor initially became involved in the military at a young age. He saw combat in the Boer War from 1899 to 1902, receiving two medals for his service. Following 1902, he accepted postings in the British colonies until the commencement of World War I in August 1914. Tudor was in command of a unit in Egypt but was on leave in England when war broke out. When his unit arrived from Egypt, he and his men were soon involved in the war effort. Tudor helped plan strategy for the Battle of Cambrai (November 1917), using smoke to hide troop movements. By the end of the war, Tudor had reached the rank of Brigadier General, commanding the 9th Scottish Division, which included the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR).

In May 1920, Tudor was named police advisor to the Viceroy and commanding officer to both the Royal Irish Constabulary and the Dublin Metropolitan Police. He was one of the men most wanted by the Irish Republican Army (IRA). After the assassination of his aide-de-camp, it was decided that it was too dangerous for him to continue living in the British Isles.

In 1925 Tudor relocated to Newfoundland, and became involved in the fishery, working with the firm of George M. Barr Ltd., in St. John's.

Banks, Sir Joseph
Persoon · 1743-1820

Joseph Banks (1743-1820), traveller, botanist, naturalist, and geographer, was born on 2 February 1743 in London, England, the only child of Sarah Bate and William Banks. On 23 March 1779, Banks married Dorothea Hugessen (1758-1828), daughter and heiress of William Western Hugessen; they had no children. Banks died on 19 June 1820 at Heston in London.

Banks was educated initially at home by a private tutor, and then at Harrow School (1752-55), Eton School (1755-60), and Christ Church College, Oxford University (1760-63). Unable to study botany at Oxford, Banks engaged Isaac Lyons, from Cambridge, as his private tutor. When his father died in 1761, Banks became a wealthy man in his own right at the age of 18. Five years later in 1766, the 23-year-old naturalist took part in a voyage to Newfoundland aboard the vessel Niger, which docked in St. John's and then Croque, a fishing settlement on the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland, en route to the coast of Labrador. Banks made many notes on local archaeology and natural history, especially ornithological observations.

Banks was one of the most influential men of science in the eighteenth century and as such received a large number of professional distinctions during his career. He was a Fellow both of the Society of Antiquities and the Royal Society. He served as President of the Royal Society from 1778 to 1820, the longest-serving President in the history of the society. As President of the Royal Society, he was involved in the Board of Longitude, the Greenwich Royal Observatory, the Board of Agriculture, and the African Association. He was appointed Special Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew (1773) and Trustee of the British Museum . Banks was appointed to the Privy Council in recognition of his role as a government advisor in 1797. In 1819, the House of Commons selected him as chair of two committees: the Committee to enquire into the prevention of banknote forgery and the the Committee to consider systems of weights and measures.

Banks had a role in most British voyages of discovery in his period. He sponsored William Bligh's doomed expedition from Tahiti to the West Indies on the Bounty in 1789. He organized Matthew Flinders' voyage on the Investigator (1801-3) to begin the mapping of Australia. He was involved in George McCartney's mission to China (1792-94) and with George Vancouver's voyage to the northwest coast of America (1791-95). Banks sent botanists all over the world, including New South Wales, the Cape of Good Hope, West Africa, the East Indies, South America, India, and Australia. Many times these voyages were at his own expense.

Banks established his scientific base at his London home in Soho Square in 1776 and housed his natural history collections there. He made his house and collections open to the wider scientific community. Banks did not differentiate between British and foreign scientists, and he even maintained scientific relations with France during the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars.

Banks was created a baronet in 1781 and was invested Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1795.

Power, John
Persoon · 1759-1823

It is believed that John Power (1759-1823), a Franciscan priest, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland in 1759. He was listed as Vicar of St. Anthony's College, Louvain in 1782. Reverend Power arrived in Newfoundland in 1808 shortly after Bishop Patrick Lambert.

Rev. Power had vehement disagreements both with Bishops Lambert and Scallan, and they eventually excommunicated him; Lambert in 1812 and Scallan in 1821. There are, however, strong suggestions that Power had a large popular following among Irish Catholics.

When he died in 1823, Rev. Power left a considerable estate to his heirs, including legacies of L50 each to several relatives in Ireland, as well as a plantation at Twenty Mile Pond. The will was witnessed by Rev. Nicholas Devereux and Rev. Denis Mackin, and probate was granted in Ireland 23 August 1831 to Timothy Hogan, a merchant at St. John's.

Brennan, Robert
Persoon · 1829-1896

Robert Brennan (1829-1896), Catholic priest, was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, circa 1829. Brennan died at St. John's on 17 September 1896 and was buried in Belvedere Cemetery, St. John's.

Brennan completed his studies for the priesthood in Ireland and was ordained a priest in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, on 24 June 1855 by John Thomas Mullock, Bishop of St. John's.

Rev. Brennan's first appointment was in St. John's. In 1857 he was appointed the parish priest of Holy Apostles Parish, Renews (1857-71). In 1871 he was named parish priest of Holy Rosary Parish, Argentia, succeeding Rev. Plagius Nowlan. Father Brennan retired in 1895.