Showing 1046 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

Burness, Dr. A.T.H.

  • Persoon
  • 1934-1991

Alfred Thomas Henry Burness (1934-1991), medical researcher and Professor of Molecular Virology, was born on 10 February 1934 in Birmingham, England, the son of Alfred Charles Burness and Ivy Ravenall. Dr. Burness was one of four children; he had two brothers, Ron and John Leslie, and a sister, Barbara (Lynam). On 25 April 1959, Dr. Burness married Brenda Woods at Liverpool, England, and they had two sons, Gary Paul and Bradley Miles.

Dr. Burness received his early education at the Smith Street Primary School and the George Dixon Grammar School in Birmingham. He went on to earn his PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Liverpool in 1959. Dr. Burness worked in Surrey from 1959 to 1962. He then moved to the United States and took up a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California at Berkeley (1962-1963). After this he returned to Surrey until 1968, when Dr. and Mrs. Burness moved to White Plains, New York State. There Dr. Burness joined the Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research in New York (1968-1971). From 1971 to 1976, they lived in Stamford, Connecticut. In 1976, Dr. and Mrs. Burness left the United States and moved to Newfoundland, where Dr. Burness took up a position with the Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Dr. Burness was the recipient of many awards and honours. In 1983, he won the Medical Research Council of Canada Visiting Scientist Award, which enabled him to spend a year at the Australian National University in Canberra (1983-1984). In 1987, he won the Alberta Heritage Foundation Visiting Lecturer Award. In 1989, Dr. Burness shared the Dr. Albert R. Cox Research Award (a grant of $25,000 awarded for outstanding research at Memorial University) with Dr. Kanwal Richardson for their virus research.

While Dr. Burness was at Memorial University, his scientific work earned in excess of $850,000 in research funding and equipment support from the Medical Research Council, the National Cancer Institute of Canada and the Canadian Diabetes Association. Dr. Burness also published extensively: he wrote numerous articles, papers and books about his medical research specialty, virology.

Dr. Burness was a member of various scholarly societies: the American Society for Virology, the Society for General Microbiology (United Kingdom), the Royal Society of Chemistry (Britain), and the Biochemical Society (United Kingdom). In his spare time, Dr. Burness pursued interests in astronomy and photography.

When Dr. and Mrs. Burness came to Newfoundland they lived in Portugal Cove-St. Phillips, where Mrs. Burness still resides. At the age of 57, Dr. Burness died of cancer on 26 October 1991 at Portugal Cove-St. Phillips. The Dr. Alfred Burness Graduate Student Award was established after his death in honour of his contribution to medical education at Memorial.

Cox, Dr. A.R.

  • Persoon
  • 1928-

Albert Reginald Cox (1928-), physician, Dean of Medicine and Vice-President Academic, Memorial University of Newfoundland, was born in Victoria, British Columbia on 18 April 1928, the son of Reginald Herbert Cox and Marie Christina Cox (nee Fraser). In May 1954, Dr. Cox married Margaret Dobson at Vancouver, British Columbia and they have three children: Susan M., David J. and Steven F.

Dr. Cox was educated at Victoria High School and then attended Victoria College, Victoria, British Columbia (1946–1948). Dr. Cox earned a BA in 1950 and a MD in 1954 from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia. Both Dr. Cox and his wife were in the first class (1950) of Medical Studies at the newly opened Faculty of Medicine, UBC. Margaret Cox earned her MD there in 1955.

After graduating from Medical School, Dr. Cox served his internship at the Vancouver General Hospital (1954-1955), and then worked a residency there (1955-1959). Dr. Cox was certified as Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) in 1955. He also received a licensure for the State of Washington (1959-1964), British Columbia (1961-1988), and Newfoundland (1969-1991). From 1955 to 1959, he served in the Armed Forces, holding the position of Flight Lieutenant (Medical Officer), Royal Canadian Air Force (Auxiliary). Dr. Cox was British Council Scholar, London Postgraduate Medical Program (Hammersmith Hospital), National Heart Hospital (September 1956 - June 1957). Continuing his education, Dr. Cox pursued Fellowship Training in Pharmacology and Cardiology at the University of Washington, Seattle (1959-1961).

Dr. Cox completed several special programs, including Teacher Training Program (6 weeks), Faculty of Medicine, University of Illinois (1965), and Epidemiology and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, American Heart Association (26 July – 8 August 1987). While on sabbatical, Dr. Cox was Special Student, Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health (September 1987 - June 1988), Visitor, Faculty of Medicine, Hobarth University, Tasmania (June 1988), Visiting Professor, University of Melbourne, Australia (July 1988), and Visitor, Faculty of Medicine, Flinders University, Australia (July 1988). Dr. Cox’ studies were paralleled by several academic publications throughout his career.

Over the years, Dr. Cox held a variety of academic and professional positions and appointments including: Instructor, followed by Assistant Professor, and then Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia (1962-1969); Professor and Chairman of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1969-1974); Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1972-1974); Dean of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1974-1987); Vice-President, Health Sciences and Professional Schools, and Vice-President Academic (Acting), Memorial University of Newfoundland (1988-1990), and Vice-President Academic, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1990-1991).

Dr. Cox held the following hospital appointments: Attending Staff, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia (1962-1969); Active Staff, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1980); Chairman of Medicine, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1974); Chief, Division of Cardiology, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1971-1974); Senior Consultant (Medicine), St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Grace General Hospital and Janeway Child Health Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1974); Executive Medical Advisory Committee, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1970-1974); Honorary Consultant, St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Grace General Hospital, Janeway Child Health Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1975-1991); and Consulting Staff, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1981-1991).

Dr. Cox received many awards and distinctions throughout his career, including the following: Horner Prize and Gold Medal for highest standing in subject of Medicine (1954); Mead Johnson Fellowship of American College of Physicians (1955); General Lifeco Hawthorne K. Dent Fellowship in Cardiology (1959-1961); Canadian Life Insurance Medical Fellowship (1966-1970); Dr. Wallace Wilson Leadership Award, Medical Alumni Association, University of British Columbia (1986); Honorary Membership, College of Family Physicians of Canada (1987); Member, Order of Canada (1989); and 75th Anniversary Alumnus Award, University of British Columbia (Membership), (1954-1990).

Dr. Cox served on several Memorial University committees including: Chairman, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, Faculty of Medicine (1969-1973); Chairman, Human Experimentation Committee (1969-1971); Planning and Development Committee for the Health Sciences Centre (1971-1978); Organization and Management Committee for the Health Sciences Centre (1974-1975); Integrating and Co-ordinating Committee of the Health Sciences Centre (1975-1987); Health Sciences Complex Committee (1975-1991); Joint Liaison Committees, University and Affiliated Teaching Hospitals (1974-1987); University Senate (1974-1991); Chairman, Governing Committee for the Labrador Institute of Northern Studies (1989-1991); Advisory Committee, Gerontology Centre (1989-1991); and Advisory Board, Faculty of Business Administration (1989-1991). Dr. Cox also served on several University of British Columbia committees (1963-1969).

Dr. Cox played an active role on several other committees and boards in Newfoundland, including: Board of Newfoundland and Labrador Computer Services, Ltd. (1975-1977); Board of International Grenfell Association (1973-1983); Member, St. John’s Hospital Council (1984-1991); Board of Directors, General Hospital, St. John’s (1984-1987); Medical Advisory Committee, Newfoundland Division, Canadian Heart Foundation (1987); Medical Advisory Committee, Newfoundland Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation (1987); and Board of Management, Agnes Pratt Home (1989-1991). Dr. Cox was also on the Executive, Medical Alumni Division University of British Columbia Alumni Association (1992-1997). Dr. Cox, throughout his career, was also on several committees in other provinces as well as on a national level.

Dr. Cox has been a member of several professional and learned societies. These include: Alpha Omega Honour Medical Society, University of British Columbia (1953-1992) and counselor (1966-1969); Fellow, Royal College Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCP), (1959 - present); Sigma Xi (1959-1992); Canadian Medical Association (1961-1992); British Columbia Medical Association (1961-1969); Canadian Cardiovascular Society (1962 - present); Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), (1968 - present); American Heart Association (1967-1992); Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC), (1968 - present); Newfoundland Medical Association (1969 - present); Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation (1970-1992); Association of Canadian Medical Colleges (Council), (1976-1991); and Canadian Intern Matching Service (1980-1984).

Dr. Cox retired in October 1991. In his spare time, Dr. Cox is interested in horticulture, specifically organic farming of vegetables and major crops of garlic; photography; and the Sylvan Pastoral Charge, United Church of Canada. Dr. and Dr. Cox presently reside in British Columbia, Canada.

A. H. Murray

  • Instelling
  • [18-]-

A.H. Murray & Company Limited, St. John's, was a leading Newfoundland mercantile firm for most of the twentieth century. The company engaged in the general supply trade of the inshore and Labrador cod fisheries. The company was also involved in exporting and importing, the offshore sealing industry, shipping, as well as a dealer in marine engines. In more recent times, the company has been strongly associated with building supplies.

James Murray (1864), a Scottish emigrant and member of the House of Assembly (MHA), immigrated to St. John's in the 1830s. A broker, his first venture was in making hard bread (or sea biscuit), but by 1845 he was also involved in more general trading in the cod fisheries and sealing. This trade expanded under the direction of his son, James Murray Jr. (1843-1900). He went bankrupt following the loss of his company's assets and records in the Great Fire of 1892.

In 1918, Andrew H. Murray (1879-1965) and his brother David (ca. 1877-1971) re-established the family business and incorporated it as A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd. A.H. (Bill) Crosbie, Murray's son-in-law, and the youngest son of Sir John Crosbie, joined the company in 1952. When A.H. Murray died in 1965, Crosbie became managing director. On 1 January 1979, A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd. restructured and amalgamated its subsidiary companies - Murray & Co. (St. Anthony) Ltd. and Murray Agencies and Transport Co. Ltd. - as Murray Industrial Ltd.

Over the years A.H. Murray formed a number of subsidiary shipping companies. These included Newfoundland Shipping Company Ltd. (1911-25), Annzac Steamships Company Limited (1916-23), Baccalieu Shipping Company Ltd.(1917-22), and Salmonier Shipping Company Ltd.(1947-62). Other enterprises with which the company was involved included: Salt Importers Association (1940-66), Newfoundland Coal Company (1948-63), Blu-Flame Gas Company Ltd., (1963), Newfoundland Agency Ltd., and Colonial Cordage Company (1959-62).

Londergan, Thomas

  • Persoon
  • 1729-1787

Thomas Londergan (1729-1787), Catholic priest, was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1729. He was ordained a priest circa 1778 in Cologne, Germany.

Rev. Londergan arrived in Placentia, Newfoundland, from France on his own initiative in 1783. He clashed with Rev. James Louis O'Donel, superior of the Newfoundland Mission, while carrying out active pastoral ministry on the island. He was ordered out of Placentia by Governor John Campbell in 1785. During his brief time in Newfoundland, he served in the following parishes: St. John the Baptist Parish, St. John's; Sacred Heart Parish, Placentia; and St. Patrick's Parish, Fogo.

Rev. Londergan died at Fogo 25 October 1787. It is thought that he was the first priest to die in Newfoundland, and perhaps the first person to be buried in the cemetery at Fogo.

St. John's Art Club

  • Instelling
  • 1940-1976

St. John's Art Club was founded in 1940, under the name Art Students Club, by Mrs. A.C. (Muriel) Hunter. Its mandate was to promote local artists and their art. Activities included exhibitions of local and imported art, sketching and art discussion groups, sponsorship of local art students, the maintenance of a member-borrowing library of art books, and illustrated lectures. One exhibition featured 73 painting by U.S. servicemen stationed in Newfoundland.

The Club's name was changed in 1945 to St. John's Art Club. In 1950, the group presented recommendations to a Royal Commission on National Development in the Arts, Letters and Sciences (Massey Commission). The last general meeting was held in 1973; in 1976, the Executive voted to close the Club bank account and donate the balance to the A.C. Hunter scholarship.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 1046