Showing 1047 results

Authority record

Burry, Dr. Lester

  • CA NL0003 001
  • Person
  • 1898-1977

Lester Leland Burry was born on July 12, 1898 at Safe Harbour, Bonavista Bay to Stephen and Marie (Bourne) Burry. He attended school at Safe Harbour and Greenspond. In 1923, he graduated from Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick with a degree in Arts and Theology. He returned to Newfoundland and was ordained as a Methodist minister at Gower St. United Church on June 30, 1924.
Rev. Burry served in St. Anthony as his first pastoral charge, remaining for 4 years. While in St. Anthony he met and married on Sept 4 , 1928 a teacher - Amelia Marie Penney of St. Anthony. After their marriage the Burrys were transferred to the pastoral charge of Curling for one year and then to Little Bay Islands for a further three years. While in Little Bay Islands, Rev. Burry was asked to serve the Hamilton Inlet Mission in Labrador for a period of three years. Dr. Burry and his wife moved to Northwest River, the base for the mission, and remained there for 26 years. In 1931 the Hamilton Inlet Mission was one of the largest geographically in Canada, comprising the 100 mile Inlet area and extended along the coast for another 200 miles. In this setting, Dr. Burry had to deal with the vastness, the sparse, spread-out population and the weather. In summer, travel was by Mission Boat - the “Glad Tidings II” (which he designed) - and in winter by dog team and in the last 8 years of his work in Labrador by snowmachine. Extended pastoral visits took 7 weeks twice a year for Rev. Burry to reach all the members of his pastoral charge, and in between there were shorter visits to other communities not as far-flung.
Dr. Burry recognized the isolation of the trappers who often were dozens of miles away from their families for many months of the year. He built crystal radio sets and earphones for the trappers and obtained a surplus radio transmitter from the American air base. On Sunday evenings the trappers were able to hear the church broadcast. On Tuesday evenings the women could talk with their husbands and friends on the trap lines. One resident commented that this was the best thing that could happen to Labrador. This service was expanded to include fishing schooners, fishing communities on the coast, light house keepers, traders and clerks at Hudson Bay outposts, and Sunday School classes.
Rev. Burry represented Labrador at the Newfoundland National Convention 1946-48 and was one of seven delegates to the meetings which worked out the Terms of Union of Newfoundland with Canada. He attended the official opening of the Churchill Falls Hydroelectric Development and saw the beginnings of iron ore mining in Labrador.
After the end of his mission work in Labrador (1957), the Burrys served the pastoral charge of Clark’s Beach for 2 years, then moved to St. John’s where Rev. Burry became chaplain to hospitals and institutions for the United Church for 4 years. He became Minister Emeritus of Cochrane St. United Church at this time, served on this church’s Board of Sessions, was chairman of St. John’s Presbytery of United Church of Canada (1958-59), and President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Conference of United Church of Canada (1959-60). Rev. Burry retired from active ministry in 1963.
In addition to his church work, Rev. Burry was involved in education, and was a strong advocate of interdenominational education. He was an avid gardener, photographer, amateur radio operator, and supporter of the John Howard Society (and served as its President for a time).
Rev Burry was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Theology from Pine Hill Theological College in 1950 and was made a Member of the Order of Canada in December, 1969. In 1975, the town of Happy Valley, Labrador named one of its streets “Burry Crescent” in honour of his contribution to Labrador.
Rev. Burry died on August 31, 1977 in St. John’s.

Dillon Wallace

  • Dillon Wallace
  • Person
  • 1863-1939

Dillon Wallace II (1863-1939) was born in Craigsville, New York, to Dillon Wallace and Rachel Ann Ferguson. His early education and work experience was in New York and in 1896 he graduated from the New York Law School with a Bachelor of Laws degree. He then went to work with the firm McLaughlin and Stern. He married Jennie E. Currie in April 1897, who died three years later of "consumption". He is the author of Lure of the Labrador Wild (1905), an account of a 1903 expedition to the Labrador interior with Leonidas Hubbard Jr., editor of the magazine, OUTING, and their native guide, George Elson. They had intended to travel the Naskaupi River to Lake Michikamau and then northwards to the George River and Indian House Lake to witness the annual Naskaupi caribou hunt. They started on their exploration route late in the summer season and soon lost their way. The trio entered the uncharted interior of Labrador without sufficient supplies and knowledge of the area. Consequently Hubbard died of starvation, and Wallace and Elson were near death when rescued by fur trappers. Wallace made two more journeys into the Labrador interior in 1905 and 1913. The 1905 trip turned into a race between he and Mina Hubbard, Leonidas Hubbard's widow, through the Labrador interior. Wallace's wilderness experiences launched him into a literary career. He authored twenty-eight books, and several serialized publications. In 1917, Wallace married Leila Greenwood Hinman of Cleveland, Ohio. They had two children: Leila Ann and Dillon III. Wallace retired from his law practice in 1918 and concentrated on his writing and volunteer activities including the Boy Scout movement. Dillon Wallace died on September 28, 1939 at the age of seventy-six in Beacon, New York.

Sir Percival Willoughby

  • Sir Percival Willoughby fonds
  • Person
  • fl.1606-1643

Percival Willoughby (fl.1606-1643), settlement promoter, council member of the Newfoundland Company, member of parliament, was born into the Kentish branch of the house of Willoughby d'Eresby in the latter sixteenth century. He married his kinswoman, Bridget (also spelled Bridgett) heiress of Francis Willoughby of Wollaton, Nottingham, and acquired substantial property in both Kent and Nottingham. They had at least three sons, one of whom, Thomas, was also involved in the Newfoundland ventures. Willoughby died in England in 1643.
The Nottingham estate was riddled with debt, and by 1606, Willoughby was threatened by the prospect of debtors' prison. Lured by the promise of iron, copper, and silver profits in North America, he became a subscriber and council member of the Newfoundland Company, probably influenced by a major creditor, John Slany, the company's treasurer. But like other members, he was also genuinely interested in establishing a self-sufficient colony on the island and developing its fishing, agricultural, potash, and mineral potential. Two years later, he also became subscriber to the Virginia Company, but the focus of his interest remained the Newfoundland venture.
Willoughby's anticipated allotment lay between Conception and Trinity Bays, north of a line drawn between Carbonear and Heart's Content. In 1612, he sent his wayward third son, Thomas, with his agent Henry Crout and six apprentices, to the company's colony at Cuper's Cove (Cupids). He also sent a surveyor named Oliney to survey his lot and Bartholomew Pearson from the Wollaton estate to assess its agricultural capacity. Few of the party were impressed. Only Crout expressed any hope of the land's potential in mineral wealth. Faced with disappointing prospects, the hostility of migratory fishermen, and the coastal raiding of pirate Peter Easton, Thomas returned home in 1613, only to incur his father's wrath for lack of commitment. Sir Percival relented in 1615, intending to transfer the title of his Newfoundland lot to Thomas and another son, Edward. In 1616, he sent Thomas back to Newfoundland. But Thomas' name was written out of the family pedigree by 1631, suggesting that his father finally disowned him.
Before this estrangement, Thomas advised his father: "If efver you looke for your monney agayne in this country you must send fisher men." (1616). Unfortunately, Sir Percival did not heed his son's counsel. Although his lot included the rich fishing grounds off Baccalieu Island, Willoughby continued to pursue his hopes of mineral wealth. He was not successful in persuading the company to grant him the rich iron ores of Bell Island. During 1616-17, Willoughby also purchased a half share in the company for his son Edward from John Browne, and then tried to inveigle the company into granting the valuable St. John's lot to Browne without mentioning that his son was Browne's partner. This effort was also unsuccessful. When Willoughby officially accepted his allotment in 1617, it was for the original, more northerly portion.
In 1618, Willoughby entered into a partnership with William Hannam and Thomas Rowley, transferring to them his share of land in Trinity Bay for a nominal rent and their commitment to explore the potential of farming, mineral deposits, and trade with the Aboriginals. Constant squabbling and Willoughby's distrustful nature drove the partners apart within a few years. By 1626, Willoughby was in danger of losing the Trinity Bay portion of his lot because he had not managed to find colonists, thus defaulting on one of the conditions set by the company. His creditor John Slany managed to maintain the company on Willoughby's behalf, but with very little thanks from Willoughby, who claimed that his investment, so far from turning a profit, had actually cost him about oe500.
By 1631, Willoughby was negotiating with Nicholas Guy to settle on his land. Guy had been on the island since 1612 and had already moved from Cuper's Cove to Carbonear, where he was fishing and farming profitably in 1631. No further evidence of Willoughby's involvement in Newfoundland exists beyond Guy's letter to him of 1 September 1631. Despite various setbacks, Willoughby's interest in Newfoundland had lasted for at least twenty-one years, making him one of the island's most tenacious, if not most successful, promoters of settlement.

Burness, Dr. A.T.H.

  • Person
  • 1934-1991

Alfred Thomas Henry Burness (1934-1991), medical researcher and Professor of Molecular Virology, was born on 10 February 1934 in Birmingham, England, the son of Alfred Charles Burness and Ivy Ravenall. Dr. Burness was one of four children; he had two brothers, Ron and John Leslie, and a sister, Barbara (Lynam). On 25 April 1959, Dr. Burness married Brenda Woods at Liverpool, England, and they had two sons, Gary Paul and Bradley Miles.

Dr. Burness received his early education at the Smith Street Primary School and the George Dixon Grammar School in Birmingham. He went on to earn his PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Liverpool in 1959. Dr. Burness worked in Surrey from 1959 to 1962. He then moved to the United States and took up a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California at Berkeley (1962-1963). After this he returned to Surrey until 1968, when Dr. and Mrs. Burness moved to White Plains, New York State. There Dr. Burness joined the Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research in New York (1968-1971). From 1971 to 1976, they lived in Stamford, Connecticut. In 1976, Dr. and Mrs. Burness left the United States and moved to Newfoundland, where Dr. Burness took up a position with the Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Dr. Burness was the recipient of many awards and honours. In 1983, he won the Medical Research Council of Canada Visiting Scientist Award, which enabled him to spend a year at the Australian National University in Canberra (1983-1984). In 1987, he won the Alberta Heritage Foundation Visiting Lecturer Award. In 1989, Dr. Burness shared the Dr. Albert R. Cox Research Award (a grant of $25,000 awarded for outstanding research at Memorial University) with Dr. Kanwal Richardson for their virus research.

While Dr. Burness was at Memorial University, his scientific work earned in excess of $850,000 in research funding and equipment support from the Medical Research Council, the National Cancer Institute of Canada and the Canadian Diabetes Association. Dr. Burness also published extensively: he wrote numerous articles, papers and books about his medical research specialty, virology.

Dr. Burness was a member of various scholarly societies: the American Society for Virology, the Society for General Microbiology (United Kingdom), the Royal Society of Chemistry (Britain), and the Biochemical Society (United Kingdom). In his spare time, Dr. Burness pursued interests in astronomy and photography.

When Dr. and Mrs. Burness came to Newfoundland they lived in Portugal Cove-St. Phillips, where Mrs. Burness still resides. At the age of 57, Dr. Burness died of cancer on 26 October 1991 at Portugal Cove-St. Phillips. The Dr. Alfred Burness Graduate Student Award was established after his death in honour of his contribution to medical education at Memorial.

Cox, Dr. A.R.

  • Person
  • 1928-

Albert Reginald Cox (1928-), physician, Dean of Medicine and Vice-President Academic, Memorial University of Newfoundland, was born in Victoria, British Columbia on 18 April 1928, the son of Reginald Herbert Cox and Marie Christina Cox (nee Fraser). In May 1954, Dr. Cox married Margaret Dobson at Vancouver, British Columbia and they have three children: Susan M., David J. and Steven F.

Dr. Cox was educated at Victoria High School and then attended Victoria College, Victoria, British Columbia (1946–1948). Dr. Cox earned a BA in 1950 and a MD in 1954 from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia. Both Dr. Cox and his wife were in the first class (1950) of Medical Studies at the newly opened Faculty of Medicine, UBC. Margaret Cox earned her MD there in 1955.

After graduating from Medical School, Dr. Cox served his internship at the Vancouver General Hospital (1954-1955), and then worked a residency there (1955-1959). Dr. Cox was certified as Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) in 1955. He also received a licensure for the State of Washington (1959-1964), British Columbia (1961-1988), and Newfoundland (1969-1991). From 1955 to 1959, he served in the Armed Forces, holding the position of Flight Lieutenant (Medical Officer), Royal Canadian Air Force (Auxiliary). Dr. Cox was British Council Scholar, London Postgraduate Medical Program (Hammersmith Hospital), National Heart Hospital (September 1956 - June 1957). Continuing his education, Dr. Cox pursued Fellowship Training in Pharmacology and Cardiology at the University of Washington, Seattle (1959-1961).

Dr. Cox completed several special programs, including Teacher Training Program (6 weeks), Faculty of Medicine, University of Illinois (1965), and Epidemiology and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, American Heart Association (26 July – 8 August 1987). While on sabbatical, Dr. Cox was Special Student, Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health (September 1987 - June 1988), Visitor, Faculty of Medicine, Hobarth University, Tasmania (June 1988), Visiting Professor, University of Melbourne, Australia (July 1988), and Visitor, Faculty of Medicine, Flinders University, Australia (July 1988). Dr. Cox’ studies were paralleled by several academic publications throughout his career.

Over the years, Dr. Cox held a variety of academic and professional positions and appointments including: Instructor, followed by Assistant Professor, and then Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia (1962-1969); Professor and Chairman of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1969-1974); Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1972-1974); Dean of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1974-1987); Vice-President, Health Sciences and Professional Schools, and Vice-President Academic (Acting), Memorial University of Newfoundland (1988-1990), and Vice-President Academic, Memorial University of Newfoundland (1990-1991).

Dr. Cox held the following hospital appointments: Attending Staff, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia (1962-1969); Active Staff, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1980); Chairman of Medicine, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1974); Chief, Division of Cardiology, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1971-1974); Senior Consultant (Medicine), St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Grace General Hospital and Janeway Child Health Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1969-1974); Executive Medical Advisory Committee, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1970-1974); Honorary Consultant, St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Grace General Hospital, Janeway Child Health Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1975-1991); and Consulting Staff, General Hospital, St. John’s, Newfoundland (1981-1991).

Dr. Cox received many awards and distinctions throughout his career, including the following: Horner Prize and Gold Medal for highest standing in subject of Medicine (1954); Mead Johnson Fellowship of American College of Physicians (1955); General Lifeco Hawthorne K. Dent Fellowship in Cardiology (1959-1961); Canadian Life Insurance Medical Fellowship (1966-1970); Dr. Wallace Wilson Leadership Award, Medical Alumni Association, University of British Columbia (1986); Honorary Membership, College of Family Physicians of Canada (1987); Member, Order of Canada (1989); and 75th Anniversary Alumnus Award, University of British Columbia (Membership), (1954-1990).

Dr. Cox served on several Memorial University committees including: Chairman, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, Faculty of Medicine (1969-1973); Chairman, Human Experimentation Committee (1969-1971); Planning and Development Committee for the Health Sciences Centre (1971-1978); Organization and Management Committee for the Health Sciences Centre (1974-1975); Integrating and Co-ordinating Committee of the Health Sciences Centre (1975-1987); Health Sciences Complex Committee (1975-1991); Joint Liaison Committees, University and Affiliated Teaching Hospitals (1974-1987); University Senate (1974-1991); Chairman, Governing Committee for the Labrador Institute of Northern Studies (1989-1991); Advisory Committee, Gerontology Centre (1989-1991); and Advisory Board, Faculty of Business Administration (1989-1991). Dr. Cox also served on several University of British Columbia committees (1963-1969).

Dr. Cox played an active role on several other committees and boards in Newfoundland, including: Board of Newfoundland and Labrador Computer Services, Ltd. (1975-1977); Board of International Grenfell Association (1973-1983); Member, St. John’s Hospital Council (1984-1991); Board of Directors, General Hospital, St. John’s (1984-1987); Medical Advisory Committee, Newfoundland Division, Canadian Heart Foundation (1987); Medical Advisory Committee, Newfoundland Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation (1987); and Board of Management, Agnes Pratt Home (1989-1991). Dr. Cox was also on the Executive, Medical Alumni Division University of British Columbia Alumni Association (1992-1997). Dr. Cox, throughout his career, was also on several committees in other provinces as well as on a national level.

Dr. Cox has been a member of several professional and learned societies. These include: Alpha Omega Honour Medical Society, University of British Columbia (1953-1992) and counselor (1966-1969); Fellow, Royal College Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCP), (1959 - present); Sigma Xi (1959-1992); Canadian Medical Association (1961-1992); British Columbia Medical Association (1961-1969); Canadian Cardiovascular Society (1962 - present); Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), (1968 - present); American Heart Association (1967-1992); Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC), (1968 - present); Newfoundland Medical Association (1969 - present); Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation (1970-1992); Association of Canadian Medical Colleges (Council), (1976-1991); and Canadian Intern Matching Service (1980-1984).

Dr. Cox retired in October 1991. In his spare time, Dr. Cox is interested in horticulture, specifically organic farming of vegetables and major crops of garlic; photography; and the Sylvan Pastoral Charge, United Church of Canada. Dr. and Dr. Cox presently reside in British Columbia, Canada.

A. H. Murray

  • Corporate body
  • [18-]-

A.H. Murray & Company Limited, St. John's, was a leading Newfoundland mercantile firm for most of the twentieth century. The company engaged in the general supply trade of the inshore and Labrador cod fisheries. The company was also involved in exporting and importing, the offshore sealing industry, shipping, as well as a dealer in marine engines. In more recent times, the company has been strongly associated with building supplies.

James Murray (1864), a Scottish emigrant and member of the House of Assembly (MHA), immigrated to St. John's in the 1830s. A broker, his first venture was in making hard bread (or sea biscuit), but by 1845 he was also involved in more general trading in the cod fisheries and sealing. This trade expanded under the direction of his son, James Murray Jr. (1843-1900). He went bankrupt following the loss of his company's assets and records in the Great Fire of 1892.

In 1918, Andrew H. Murray (1879-1965) and his brother David (ca. 1877-1971) re-established the family business and incorporated it as A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd. A.H. (Bill) Crosbie, Murray's son-in-law, and the youngest son of Sir John Crosbie, joined the company in 1952. When A.H. Murray died in 1965, Crosbie became managing director. On 1 January 1979, A.H. Murray & Co. Ltd. restructured and amalgamated its subsidiary companies - Murray & Co. (St. Anthony) Ltd. and Murray Agencies and Transport Co. Ltd. - as Murray Industrial Ltd.

Over the years A.H. Murray formed a number of subsidiary shipping companies. These included Newfoundland Shipping Company Ltd. (1911-25), Annzac Steamships Company Limited (1916-23), Baccalieu Shipping Company Ltd.(1917-22), and Salmonier Shipping Company Ltd.(1947-62). Other enterprises with which the company was involved included: Salt Importers Association (1940-66), Newfoundland Coal Company (1948-63), Blu-Flame Gas Company Ltd., (1963), Newfoundland Agency Ltd., and Colonial Cordage Company (1959-62).

Results 1 to 10 of 1047