Showing 1086 results

Authority record
Snow Queen (barque)
Corporate body · 1872-1891

The barque Snow Queen (O.N. 64900) was built in Maitland, Nova Scotia and registered in 1872. Shareholders included Thomas Kenny, Halifax merchant (24 shares); George Frieze, Maitland merchant (8 shares); Thomas Roy, Maitland merchant (12 shares); Alexander Roy, Maitland shipbuilder (12 shares); John Roy, Maitland farmer and planter (4 shares); and Hiram Grant, Maitland shipbuilder (4 shares). In 1891 the barque was sold to buyers in Sweden.

Corporate body · 1948-

St. Kevin's Parish is located in the Goulds, a rural community that was amalgamated with St. John's in 1992. Established as a parish in 1948, St. Kevin's had been a mission of St. Joseph's Parish in Petty Harbour (est. 1884). Prior to the erection of St. Joseph's, the Catholic residents of the Goulds were served by priests residing in the districts/parishes of Bay Bulls and St. John's.

The first Roman Catholic church was built in the Goulds sometime during the 1870s. This original structure served the community until the present church was erected in 1944. It was blessed and formally opened on 21 June 1945 by Illebrando Antonutti, Papal Delegate to Canada and Newfoundland. In 1949, the Sisters of Mercy took up residence at the newly erected Sacred Heart Convent, located next to the parish church, and assumed responsibility for education in the community.

The activities of St. Kevin's Parish, like most Roman Catholic parishes, were intertwined with the operations of local Catholic schools, integral components of any parochial organization. References to the establishment of a Roman Catholic school in the Goulds as early as 1848 exist; however, details are sketchy. In 1913, Rev. Roger Tierney, parish priest of St. Joseph's and administrator of St. Kevin's, oversaw the construction of a one-room school in the Goulds. In 1961, Rev. John J. Murray, parish priest at St. Kevin's, also oversaw the construction of a new school (completed under Rev. Murray's successor, Rev. Albert P. Slattery). Today, St. Kevin's Elementary and St. Kevin's High serve the community, but they are no longer under church control due to denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

In October 1981, a Parish Pastoral Council Steering Committee was established to oversee the creation of a Parish Pastoral Council. The Steering Committee stated that the Council's mandate should be the co-ordination, encouragement, and promotion of apostolic activity through the parish community. The first election of officers occurred on 15 June 1983, shortly after which the Council initiated several committees to review areas of parish activity. Past and present committees at St. Kevin's include Finance, Liturgy, Family Aid, Cemetery, Parish Hall, Youth, and Services committees (this list is not exhaustive). The committee structure was created to be flexible, allowing for the dissolution and creation of new committees as were deemed necessary. In addition to the Parish Pastoral Council and the various committees established at St. Kevin's, parishioners are active in lay societies and organizations such as the Catholic Women's League, the Knights of Columbus, and the St. Kevin's Altar Servers Association (SKASA).

Pastors who have served the parish since its establishment include: Edward J. Rawlins (1948-1949); J. Loyola Lacey, Administrator (1949); John J. Murray (1949-1962); Albert P. Slattery (1962-1970); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970); John F. Wallis (1971-1977); William Pomroy (1979-1982); Dermot McGettigan (1982-1987); John Maddigan (1987-1991); Jerome Hann (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).

Corporate body · [187-]-

Until the end of the 19th century the present Parish of Port Rexton was part of the Mission of Trinity. The first churches in the area were St. Barnabas, built at Salmon Cove East (now Champney’s East) in 1829, St. Silas at English Harbour, built in 1843, and Christ’s Church, which was built between the communities of Ship Cove, Robin Hood and Trinity East in 1859.

The Parish of Trinity East was established as a separate parish during the 1870s and a school board for the parish, under the name of Trinity North, was formed by 1880. In 1911 the communities of Robin Hood and Ship Cove joined to form the community of Port Rexton and Christ’s Church became the home of the congregation of that community. The people of Trinity East formed a committee in 1910 to arrange the building of a new church in their community. The Church of St. Andrew’s was built at Trinity East by David Marshall of Bonavista Bay, and consecrated in 1912.

The Trinity East Parish council was formed in 1934 by the Rector of the Parish, the Rev. Frank Hollands. Two congregations of the parish made up the first Council; St. Andrew’s Congregation, Trinity East and Christ Church Congregation, Port Rexton. The following year the congregations of Champney’s East, Champney’s West and English Harbour joined the council. Christ Church, Port Rexton was rebuilt at a new location and consecrated in 1950. After that time the parish became known as Trinity East-Port
Rexton.

In 1971, by order of the Bishop, the parish amalgamated with that of Trinity for a trial period of not less than two years. The arrangement lasted for ten years, after which time the parishes reverted to their former status. The church of St. Andrew’s burned to the ground in 1979, and a new church was built the following year. The present parish extends from Trinity East to English Harbour, and includes All Saint’s Church, English Harbour; St. Nicholas Church, Champney’s East; St. Clement’s, Champney’s West; Christ Church, Port Rexton; and St. Andrew’s Church, Trinity East.

St. John's Football League
Corporate body · 1896-

Organized football, also called soccer, began in Newfoundland in the mid-nineteenth century, but it was not until 1896 that a permanent League was formed for the promotion of what one enthusiast repeatedly referred to as "our national game". The Newfoundland Football League was established on 15 March 1896 with a roster of seven St. John's teams including the Star of the Sea, the CLB, the CEI, the Methodist Institute, the Saints, the Rovers and the KAC. Games were originally played on the Llewellyn Grounds: after 1899 the League shifted its operations to St. George's Field. The League operated continuously until 1940, when activities were suspended for the duration of the war. In 1945 the League was reactivated, playing on the Ayre Athletic Grounds. A junior league of the Newfoundland Football League was formed in 1923. It was active from 1923-1928, again from 1932-1940 and, like its parent League, was reactivated in 1945.

In 1949, recognizing that their activities were confined to St. John's and that active football clubs were developing elsewhere in the province, the League adopted a new constitution, changing its name at that time to the St. John's Football League. At that time the League affiliated itself with the newly-formed Newfoundland Amateur Football Association (later the Newfoundland Minor Soccer Association). Further revision of the constitution in 1960 gave authority over League activities to the League executive, eliminating the need for extensive consultations on policy, scheduling and planning with representatives of every member team.

By 1977 the League was referred to as the St. John's Amateur Soccer League and appears to have had junior and senior divisions. In 2000 the Newfoundland Soccer Association lists the St. John's Minor Soccer Association as a member organization.

Agnes Pratt Home
Corporate body · 1954 -

The Agnes Pratt Home is a senior citizens’ complex, owned and operated by the United Church of Canada, Newfoundland & Labrador Conference as part of the Division of Mission program in Newfoundland. It was during discussions at a Conference meeting in 1954 that the purpose of the home was established - to provide a living environment for residents who were capable of independent living in a group home setting, who were ambulatory and did not require nursing care. The home was officially opened on Sept.7, 1958.

This home was a pioneer in Newfoundland and Labrador in recognizing the need for special services for senior citizens. It quickly became apparent that there was a need for on-site supervision of nursing care, and in 1972, an extension to the home included a 16-bed nursing unit. This addition provided for the temporary, episodic and intermediate types of care. At this point the Agnes Pratt Home became able to accept persons eligible for funding under the Department of Social Services, Services to Senior Citizens Division.

In 1977, a proposal for more comprehensive services for the Home and the community was presented to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, funding agency of the Federal Government, and the Department of Social Services of the Provincial Government. Between 1977 and 1986, the Home had updated its proposal several times to meet the changing need of its residents and the community. In 1986, federal funding of the latest proposal for the construction of additional facilities was announced.

The Home was incorporated in 1979 and operates under a Memorandum of Association in accordance with the Companies Act under the Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1970. The home is cognizant of, and adheres to the following main Legislative Acts to the best of its ability and resources: The Private Homes for Special Care Act, The Welfare Institutions Licensing Act, and The Public Service Collective Bargaining Act. Any other applicable acts or regulations of Federal, Provincial or Municipal governments, as they apply to the proper operation of the Home, are followed.

The Agnes Pratt Home is operated by a Board of Directors appointed annually and approved by Conference at each annual meeting.

In 1996, as a result of the continuing assessment of needs in the area of care of seniors, the St. John’s Nursing Home Board (SJNHB) was established. Its purpose is to “enhance quality resident care while achieving efficiencies within the reformed regionalized healthcare system”. The Board is responsible for six homes within the St John’s area, with the Agnes Pratt Home being one of these homes. The partnership of these homes “comprises a range of operational agreements including Memoranda of Understanding, a Governance Agreement, and direct operational authority”.

The SJNHB is accountable to the Department of Health and Community Services and is responsible for policy direction of the nursing homes and the development and evaluation of standards of practice based on the Resident-Centred Care philosophy.

John Rorke and Sons
Corporate body · 1839-1980

John Rorke & Sons Limited (1839-1980) was a family mercantile firm, located in Carbonear, Newfoundland, which engaged in the Labrador fisheries and the import-export trade of the Colony, later expanding into the retail trade.

The company was founded by John Rorke (1807-1896). Rorke emigrated to Newfoundland (1824) from Athlone, Ireland, as a clerk in the fishery supply and general trade firm of Bennett and Ridley, Harbour Grace. By 1830, Rorke had married Mary Tocque (Carbonear), daughter of prominent local merchant and had become a planter-trader in the fishery at Adam's Cove, just north of Carbonear. In 1839 Rorke purchased the former Slade & Elson mercantile premises in Carbonear. Rorke opened two Labrador branches at St. Francis Harbour and Venison Island to conduct trade with the numerous migratory summer fishermen-floaters (fishermen in schooners) and stationers (crews that fished from shore stations) that went to the Labrador coast each year from Newfoundland; Rorke also became involved in politics, and he was elected as the member for the Carbonear district six times (1863-78). He was a member of Frederick B.T. Carter's pro-confederate slate (1869) and served in the Whiteway administration (1878). Rorke was appointed to the Executive Council in 1879 and remained there until his death in 1896.

Throughout its history, the business remained a family enterprise. Rorke's sons, John and James, joined the firm in 1880, assuming control of the business following the death of their father (1896). By 1920 James Rorke's sons, John and James (grandsons of John Rorke Sr.) had also entered the company. In 1929 the firm was incorporated as John Rorke and Sons Limited.

Although the company remained a family business, its operations changed over the decades. Until 1919, the firm was primarily involved in operating and supplying vessels in the Newfoundland seal hunt and in the Labrador cod fishery although it also engaged in the import-export trade of the island. Between 1839 and 1920, the firm registered 48 vessels in Newfoundland, ranging from 50 to 150 tons. In 1919 the firm began to purchase its supplies ans to sell its fish and other export staples though St. John's mercantile firms. In 1929 the Rorkes established a separate operation known as the Rorke Fish and Coal Company Ltd., which specialized in marketing Labrador cured codfish and fresh and pickled salmon, and selling coal for domestic use. The company also operated a retail general store on Water Street in Carbonear.

In 1980 the company ceased operations and its assets were liquidated in the following year (1981). The Rorke premises, considered among the best preserved examples of mercantile establishments in the province, were donated to the town of Carbonear by the family. In Febraury 1988 the Rorke Stores became Registered Heritage Structures.

Corporate body · 1854-1966

The Colonial Office was the administrative office of the British Secretary of State for the Colonies, the cabinet minister designated with the responsibility for the administration of the colonies in the British Empire. Although formally established in 1854 as a separate office, the Colonial Office was preceded by several government agencies which supervised colonial affairs, dating back to the mid-seventeenth century.

Although England acquired colonies (or plantations) early in the seventeenth century, there was no formal organization which dealt specifically with colonial administration until 1660. In 1660 a Committee of the Privy Council for the Plantations (1660-75) was formed (later the Council for Foreign Plantations). The council reviewed colonial laws and provided instructions to the governors. Although there was a brief amalgamation with the Council of Trade, a privy council committee responsible for British commerce, as the Council for Trade and Plantations (1672-74), the Council for Foreign Plantations functioned until 1675 when it was replaced by the Lords of Trade and Plantations, commonly called the Board of Trade.

The Board of Trade (1696-1782), established by William III, consisted of ministers of state, under a president. Its mandate was to advise the crown on issues relating to plantations, trade and poor law. In practice, it focused on the administration of the colonies, especially instructions to the governors, colonial legislation, administration of justice, and colonial appointments. The Board of Trade was officially subordinate to the secretaries of state; the latter, however, relied on the board for direction on colonial issues. In 1768, a Secretary of State for the American Department was established in a vain effort to avert conflict in the American colonies.

Following the loss of the American colonies, both the Secretary of State for the American Department and the Board of Trade were eliminated (1782) although the board was briefly revived in 1784 and 1794 respectively. The Board of Trade was replaced by the Plantations Branch in the Home Office.

During the Napoleonic wars, the office of the third secretary of state was created to supervise the conduct of the war. In 1801 the British government established a War and Colonial Department under a single secretary of state and responsibility for colonial affairs was transferred from the Home Office to the newly-created department. Following the end of the French wars (1815), colonial administration became the primary role for the new department. From 1822 the Colonial Office was organized into four geographical departments, one of which was North America (including Bermuda).

In 1854 the commencement of the Crimean War and reforms in the British civil service prompted the division of the War and Colonial Department. A separate Colonial Office, under a secretary of state for the colonies, was established. During the imperialist expansion into Africa, Asia and India, the Secretary of State and the Colonial Office became one of the most significant ministries in the British government.

The Secretary of State for the Colonies was usually an influential politician; five of the twelve British prime ministers had been responsible for the ministry. In the nineteenth century, the administration of the Colonial Office became increasingly professionalized, with emphasis on diligent civil servants, and careful records-keeping. In the 1820s, the Blue Books were instituted, requiring colonies to return annual reports (on pre-printed blue forms) on population, trade, revenue, officials and salaries, public institutions and local government. In 1837, the Colonial Office ordered the bi-annual submissions of colonial gazettes which published ordinances, legislation, government and professional regulations, land and mine grants, official appointments, and liquidations. The office also introduced a registry system for all correspondence, with multiple, interlinking entry books.

The emergence of self-governing colonies in British North America, New Zealand and Australia challenged the administrative structure of the Colonial Office. In 1907, following the Imperial Conference, the Colonial Office was divided: the Crown Colonies Division for dependencies and the Dominions Division for self-governing colonies. In 1925, a separate Dominions Office was created, with responsibilities for self-governing colonies.

With the creation of the Dominions Office, the Colonial Office declined in importance, although it retained general responsibility for the colonies. In 1966 the Colonial Office merged with the Commonwealth Relations Office to form the Commonwealth Office.

Corporate body · 1840

St. Patrick's Parish, located on Fogo island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, was established in 1840. In the 1830s and 1840s, Irish Roman Catholic families, originally from Waterford, migrated from the Conception Bay area to Fogo, settling in Tilting. In 1785 there was a priest in Tilting by the name of Reverend Thomas Londregan. In 1834 the community had its first parish priest, an Irishman named Reverend Martin Joseph Bergan. He supervised the construction of a church which was completed in 1838. Reverend Patrick Ward became the first resident parish priest after St. Patrick's Parish was officially established. In 1974 a new St. Patrick's Church was consecrated in Tilting. An uncertain number of chapels and churches have existed in the area prior to this one.

Currently, St. Patrick's Parish consists of four communities: Tilting (St. Patrick's Church), Island Harbour (St. Pius X Church), Fogo (Our Lady Of The Snows Church), and Joe Batt's Arm (Mary, Queen of the World Church).

Pastors that have served St. Patrick's Parish since its establishment include: Patrick Ward (1840-1865); James Brown (1865-1885); Richard Walker (1886-1892); William P. Finn (1892-1910); Edward O'Brien (1910-1914); Michael J. Kinsella (1944-1948); Joseph O'Brien (1948-1955); Gregory Pumphery (1955-1964); Brendan J. McCarthy (1964-1967); Kevin Barker (1967-1976); William Hearn (1976-1979); Edward Brophy (1979-1984); Michael Hynes (1984-1986); David Heale (1986); Wayne Cummings (1986-1990); Francis Aylward (1990-1994); Tony/Anthony Hageman (1994-1997); Thomas Duffenais (1998-).

Corporate body · 1934-

St. John Bosco initially was established as a mission of St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) in 1934, when a school-chapel was constructed to attend to the needs of the Catholic population of Blackhead Road, an area situated on a plateau to the southwest of St. John's Harbour (more popularly known as "The Brow"). Mass was first celebrated in the new school-chapel 25 June 1934. This structure served the mission until 1960, when a new building containing more classroom space and a larger chapel was constructed. Patrick J. Skinner, Archbishop of St. John's, blessed the new school-chapel complex and held the first mass there 24 September 1961. Members of the Presentation of the Most Blessed Virgin Congregation (Presentation Sisters) residing in St. Patrick's Convent administered the new school.

Archbishop Skinner raised St. John Bosco to the status of a parish 4 April 1964. Shortly thereafter, responsibility for St. Joseph's Mission in Blackhead (as distinct from Blackhead Road) was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish from St. Joseph's Parish (Petty Harbour).

In 1972, Blackhead Road was renamed Shea Heights in honour of Rev. Leo G. Shea, first parish priest of St. John Bosco, for his efforts in initiating improvements in the area. In 1986, Shea Heights officially became part of the city of St. John's.

Pastors who have served the St. John Bosco Parish since its establishment in 1964 include: Leo G. Shea (1964-1970); Francis Slattery (1970-1974); John Maddigan (1974-1976); John O'Deady (1976-1979); Joseph D. Barton (1979-1982); David Butler (1982-1986?); and John Corrigan (1986-1988?). The parish has been served by clergy from St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) since 1988.

St. John Bosco's parochial affairs are administered by a Parish Pastoral Council and several committees, including Finance, Liturgy, Community Life and Social Action, and Youth committees. In addition, the Catholic Women's League is active within the parish.

Corporate body · 1894-

Epworth (Spoon Cove) became a mission of the Methodist Church of Canada, Newfoundland Conference, in 1894. Its first pastor was Rev. C. Howse. The Epworth Mission was geographically small, covering an area of less than 20 miles, with congregations in Epworth, Burin Bay Arm, Lanse'eau, Lewin's Cove, and Creston. It had a population of 1200, of which one-half were Methodist.

Originally, Epworth had been part of the Burin Mission. By 1840, Epworth had a chapel and school house. In 1890, a new church was dedicated there. By 1899, the exterior of a new church at Lewin's Cove had been completed and a new school house was under construction to serve the congregations in Lewin's Cove, Mud Cove, and Epworth.

Today the pastoral charge is comprised of congregations in Epworth, Lewin's Cove, and Winterland (which became part of the charge in 1981).