Showing 1086 results

Authority record
Haystack Reunion Committee
Corporate body · 1995-

The Haystack Reunion Committee was established in October 1995 at a meeting held in Come by Chance, Newfoundland. It consisted of 22 former residents of Haystack, a community on the northeastern side of Long Island, Placentia Bay, Newfoundland. Haystack was largely abandoned in the 1950s, although one resident lived there until 1969.

The objective of the Reunion Committee was to organize a reunion of former residents and their descendants in the summer of 1997 on the site of the former community. In addition to site preparation for the reunion, the reunion booklet, the cemetery restoration project, and the launching of a web site, the committee organized a second reunion in 2003.

W.W. Wareham & Sons
Corporate body · 1922-1967

W.W. Wareham & Sons Ltd. was a fish and fishery supply business operating at Harbour Buffett, Long Island, Placentia Bay, from 1922-1967. It operated successfully until the resettlement program of 1967 forced its closure.

The business was purchased by Wilfred William Wareham, Haystack, from Thomas Wakely in 1922. The firm had originally been established circa 1812 by Thomas Hann, an English merchant who came to Placentia to act as a supplier for the fishery. During its 45 year history, W. W. Wareham and Sons operated mainly as fish merchants, buying fish and supplying fishermen with fishing gear and provisions. They operated bankers in the fishery but did not own any foreign-going vessels. Wareham was a member of the Newfoundland Associated Fish Exporters Limited (NAFEL) and was involved in the salt fish industry, buying fish from the other commuities in the area and selling through the central agency.

As well as the operation at Harbour Buffett where the fish was collected and dried, Wareham's operated a branch at North Harbour, managed by Don Slade, and an office in St. John's managed by Harry Wareham. Other sons of W.W. Wareham, Leeland and Fred, administered the headquarters at Harbour Buffett.

Rennie family
Family · 1812-

William Frederick Rennie (1812-1902), miller and civil servant, was born in Scotland in 1812, son of David Stuart Rennie, merchant and senior partner with Rennie, Stuart & Co. (located at St. John's). Rennie was the stepbrother of William Epps Cormack (1796-1868), who made the first journey across Newfoundland. He married Caroline Broom Williams (d. Circa 1840) in 1835; they had three children: David, Mary, Caroline; he married Catherine Thorburn McNab in 1842; they had eleven children: Helen (1843-1922), Frederick W. (1845-1932), James Gower (b. 1847), Emma Hoyles (b.1850), Jean Catherine (b. 1852), Archibald McNab (d. 1920), Robert John (b. 1856), Jessie McNab (b. 1858), John Bowring (b. 1861), Hugh William Hoyles (1863-1932), Andrew Bogle (b. 1865). Rennie died at St. John's 5 February 1902.

Rennie was educated at Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities. In 1832, Rennie, along with his brother James, relocated to Newfoundland and established a flour mill on Rennie's River, St. John's. In 1848, the mill was leased to a local Scottish farmer, and Rennie entered the civil service.

Corporate body · [18-]-1914

Gosse, Chancey & Ledgard was an English, Poole-based mercantile firm engaged in the Newfoundland trade in the early nineteenth century, with headquarters in Carbonear, Conception Bay, Newfoundland. The three principals were John Gosse, a merchant of Ringwood, Hampshire; Thomas Chancey, a merchant of Poole, and George W. Ledgard, a banker of Poole. Gosse served as the resident manager in Carbonear until 1817.

John Gosse (1767-1834) was originally employed with the firm of George and James Kemp in Poole, England, prior to his move to Newfoundland in 1789. Gosse severed his connection with the Kemp firm in 1801 and formed a partnership with Chancey and Ledgard, establishing the mercantile firm Gosse, Chancey and Ledgard. Chancey died sometime before 1815, but Gosse and Ledgard continued their partnership until 1817.

That year, Gosse went to England, where he formed a partnership with English banker, William Fryer and Robert Pack. Gosse managed the firm Gosse, Fryer and Pack in Poole until he died. George Ledgard formed a banking firm, George Ledgard & Sons, in Poole, Dorset, in 1821. The company was amalgamated with Lloyd's Bank Limited in 1914.

Royal Canadian Legion
Corporate body · 1925-

The Royal Canadian Legion undertook a project in 1984 to commemorate its Diamond Jubilee. The project involved interviewing Legionnaires from 245 Branches of the Royal Canadian Legion across Canada.

Robert Newman & Company
Corporate body · 1672-1997

Robert Newman & Company, also known as Newman and Company, were merchants of Dartmouth and Newfoundland involved in the Newfoundland salt fish trade and the Portuguese port wine trade.

In 1601, Richard Newman received fishing rights off "Newman's Rock" on the south coast of Newfoundland. In 1672, he founded the first Newman plantation in Newfoundland at Pushthrough on the south coast. Additional plantations were established in the last quarter of the seventeenth century. By the beginning of the 1700s, most of these plantations were consolidated under the masthead of Newman and Company, which was the Newfoundland house of Robert Newman & Company, successor to the earlier Dartmouth firm of Newman and Roope. From 1730 to 1775, the Newfoundland branch was run by the brothers Robert and Richard. When Robert died, his son John renamed the firm John Newman & Company. Following John's death, the firm came under the control of John's brother Robert, who reverted to the name Robert Newman & Company.

Under Robert's tenure, Robert Newman & Co. expanded its operations to Little St. Lawrence, Burin, and Little Bay to complement its premises at Hermitage, Harbour Breton, Conception Bay and St. John's. The firm relocated its headquarters to Harbour Breton from St. John's in 1812 as the migratory fishery declined in the wake of the burgeoning resident fishery, fueled by an increasing permanent population. While the West Country firms were declining -- most had withdrawn by 1825 -- Newman Brothers continued to prosper in Newfoundland, especially on the south coast. However, the activities of the firm slowly contracted in the second half of the century, partly due to increasing competition from St. John's firms, many of which had also expanded into the outports. The firm closed its Harbour Breton headquarters in 1907 and withdrew from Newfoundland.

However, one aspect of the firm's business in Newfoundland remained intact. From the seventeenth century, Newman Brothers and its affiliated companies had been importing port wine from the Oporto region of Portugal, usually in exchange for fish and oil. According to legend, in 1679, a Newman's ship loaded with port wine from Oporto, en route to London, was chased by a French privateer and blown off course, prompting the captain to steer for Newman's plantation in St. John's. The port remained at St. John's over the winter, and when it was brought to London in the spring, its quality was found to have greatly improved. This inspired Newman's to send large quantities of its port wine to Newfoundland each year to mature. This tradition was maintained until 1997.

Affiliated companies traded under the names of Hunt, Roope & Company in London and Oporto, and Newman, Hunt & Company in London.

Labrador Heritage Society
Corporate body · 1973-

The Labrador Heritage Society was officially formed in Happy Valley-Goose Bay on 24 January 1973. The founding officers were Joe Goudie, president; Joyce Pye, vice president; Bernard Heard, corresponding secretary; and Dave Lough, treasurer.

The Society proposed to preserve "all printed matter, records, films, photos, maps and oral records" of "social, cultural and physical value" to Labrador, and to publish historical records. It also planned to prepare resource material for school curricula. One of the first projects proposed by the Society was a book about Labradorians based on the edited transcripts of oral history interviews. Instead of a book, which would provide only a cursory overview of Labrador's history, a magazine was deemed more appropriate; Them Days was the result.

After the founding of the magazine, the society was inactive until its re-establishment in February 1978. By 1980, the society had three branches (Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador West, and Churchill Falls), which celebrated traditional culture in various annual events. In July 1980, the Happy Valley-Goose Bay museum opened and hosted the first Labrador folk festival.

Corporate body · 1922-1947

Hawes and Company (London) Ltd. was incorporated in 1922 as an agency and brokerage company for the sale of Newfoundland salt fish in European markets. Its function was assumed by the Newfoundland Associated Fish Exporters Limited (NAFEL) in 1947.

The mandate of Hawes and Co. was to act as agent for Newfoundland salt fish exports, financing shipments of fish, managing the banking end of the trade, and centralizing market statistics. Hawes and Co. signed contracts with Newfoundland fish exporters which gave the company the exclusive right to sell, market and handle all salt fish exported from Newfoundland to any European country. As agent, the company was delegated responsibility to investigate, settle, and deal with all claims, rejections or disputes arising from sales made by shippers to the European markets.

Hawes and Co. began marketing Newfoundland fish in 1919 when it was granted a franchise to deal with Italian buyers. George Hawes, a principal in the company, was requested by a group of Newfoundland exporters to establish an organization for marketing fish in other European markets, modeled on an organization which marketed fish in Spain. In 1922, Hawes and Co.(London) Ltd. was established to deal with all the European markets.

In 1926, Hawes Newfoundland Limited was established, but it was dissolved in 1932. Until 1947, Hawes conducted business in Newfoundland through agent George Lewis, as a branch of Hawes and Co. (London) Ltd. In 1947, the Newfoundland Association of Fish Exporters Limited (NAFEL) became the central marketing agency for salt cod, replacing Hawes and C. (London) Ltd.

Corporate body · 1973-1988/89

The Newfoundland Shipowners Association was incorporated in 1973. Its predecessor organization was the Newfoundland Coasters' and Seamen's Association (est. 1938), reconstituted as the Newfoundland Shipowners and Ship Repairers following confederation with Canada (1949) and renamed the Newfoundland Shipowners Association (1960s).

The mandate of the Newfoundland Shipowners Association was to represent agents and managers of vessels owned and operated in Newfoundland, and elsewhere in Canada. Its goals were to support and protect its members from adverse legislation, especially amendments to the Canadian Labour Code; to assist members with the resolution of problems pertaining to the improvements of registered vessels; and to secure improvements in surveys of coastal waterways, navigational aids, and weather observations.

The association's membership included prominent shipping companies, including Lake and Lake Shipping, J. Petite and Sons, D. Frampton and Comapny, and Chimo Shipping Company. The office of the company was situated at various locations around St. John's. The association folded in 1988/89.

Corporate body · 1827-

The Women's World Day of Prayer was an interdenominational service organized in the United States in 1827 as "a day of prayer for home missions". By 1922, Canadian women's groups began participation. The event was renamed "The World Day of Prayer" in 1927, and the first Friday in March was selected for the event. The St. John's committee included women from several denominations: Presbyterian, Lutheran, United, Anglican, Baptist, Salvation Army, Church of Nazarene, and Roman Catholic.