Showing 1086 results

Authority record

J.W. Hiscock Sons

  • Corporate body
  • 1894-

J. W. Hiscock Sons Limited was a Newfoundland fish merchant firm which engaged in the production and export of salt fish in Brigus, Conception Bay. In the 1930s, a plant was built in Brigus where the firm's schooners could offload fish to be stored and packed for subsequent shipment. Following the 1930s, the firm diversified, becoming involved in the general coasting trade. Shortly after incorporating in 1941, the firm invested in technology that made J. W. Hiscock Sons Limited one of the largest producers of dried salt cod in the province.

The business was founded in 1894 by Edmund Hiscock (d.1918) and his sons William J. Hiscock and John Wilcox Hiscock at Comfort Bight, Labrador, with a branch at nearby Hilton. After a few years, the firm was reorganized, with William acquiring the Hilton branch and John operating at Comfort Bight along with newer branches at Hiscock Islands and American Harbour. In 1910, John moved the headquarters of the firm to the newly purchased Frederick G. Jerrett property in Smokey, Labrador. Some time later, John turned the Comfort Bight operation over to William's son, Edmund, who operated it as a separate business. Ned, John's son, took over the Comfort Bight branch in 1941.

In 1969, a larger plant was built in Brigus that could accommodate both salt fish and fresh frozen production. In the next few years, the firm expanded its sphere of operation, establishing buying centres at many locations where fish was purchased from fishermen and shipped to Brigus for production. The firm also opened a plant at Trout River on the island's west coast, where fresh fish was purchased from local fishermen and salted before being sent to Brigus for washing, drying, and packing.

The firm moved into fresh frozen production in 1978, converting a portion of the plant for that purpose. The grandsons of John W. Hiscock also formed Hiscock Enterprises Limited to deal in frozen squid, caplin, mackerel, and dried squid. At about the same time, J. W. Hiscock Sons Limited also entered into a partnership with Oxford Frozen Foods Ltd., a Nova Scotia Company, to produce and export blueberries and partridgeberries, a move that lengthened the plant's production season. The imposition of the groundfish moratorium in 1992 eliminated the supply of codfish and terminated that aspect of the business. The firm is currently a seasonal operation (2003).

C.W. Kellock & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1820-

C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant firms and ship brokers in Liverpool and London in the mid-nineteenth century. The company had its origins in a firm established in Liverpool by Daniel Tonge (1788-1848) in 1820. Tonge was a master mariner and shipowner in Liverpool who established himself as a merchant and agent for the sale of ships. By 1846, his son Percival had joined him to form Daniel Tonge and Son. Two years later, Henry Curry (d. 1865) was taken into the partnership, which was renamed Tonge, Curry & Co.

In 1850, Charles Walford Kellock (d. 1897), the son of Henry Gray Kellock, joined the firm as partner with Henry Curry and Percival Tonge. Five years later, the partnership was dissolved, with Percival Tonge continuing under the name of Tonge & Co. and Charles W. Kellock remaining with Henry Curry to form Curry, Kellock & Co. In October 1864, that partnership was dissolved and two companies emerged: H.F. Curry & Co. and C.W. Kellock & Co. H.F. Curry & Co. ceased operations in 1866, the year after Henry Curry's death.

After 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of his brother W.B. Kellock. In 1885, the management of the London office was taken over by George Kay, a partner of C.W. Kellock. In the mid-1800s, Kellock's two eldest sons, William Walter Kellock (d. 1929) and Henry Gray Kellock (d. 1926), joined the company and later became partners. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897. The company continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. Upon their deaths, the management of the company was taken over by various senior partners within the firm. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active.

Trinity Police Station

  • Corporate body
  • 1729-

Constables were first appointed at Trinity in 1729 to assist the magistrate in keeping the peace. The Newfoundland Constabulary was established in 1871 and thereafter a member of the force was stationed at Trinity. The constable was responsible for the area from English Harbour to Popes Harbour including Ireland’s Eye. The last resident constable at Trinity was Constable John Baggs. After confederation with Canada the duties of the constabulary were assumed by the RCMP. The offices of the constabulary and the gaol were in the Court House. The constable occupied an apartment on the second and third floors.

Anglican Parish of Trinity. Board of Education

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-1958

The Trinity Church of England School Board was formed c.1883, for the purpose of administering the schools of the Parish of Trinity. Schools which came under the jurisdiction of the Board were at Trinity, Lockston, Goose Cove, Dunfield, Trouty, Spaniard’s Cove, Old Bonaventure, New Bonaventure, Kerley’s Harbour, British Harbour, Delby’s Cove and Little
Harbour, Ireland’s Eye and Traytown and Ivanhoe.

School Boards were established as a result of the Education Act of 1876 which stated that schools would be administered by local denominational boards under the supervision of superintendents. The 1876 Act consolidated previous legislation, under which the government’s education grant was divided equally between the Protestant and Roman Catholic church for the administration of schools. Denominational education was entrenched under Term 17 of the Terms of Union in 1949, which confirmed the right of Churches to own and operate their own schools.

The school boards came directly under the Parish, the rector serving as chair of the Board for the parish. The Boards were responsible for organizing elementary education within their district. They built and maintained the school buildings, hired the teachers, maintained the accounts, conducted regular meetings, and made regular reports to the superintendent.

From 1962 to 1969 Trinity and Trinity East - Port Rexton Boards were combined and came under one administration. In 1969 all the Protestant denominations in Newfoundland amalgamated, reducing the number of boards from 229 to 22. The school board for the whole region has since been headquartered in Clarenville.

Source: Minutes of the board; Newfoundland Education Act 1876; Trinity-Port Rexton Board of Education Minutes.

Church of the Holy Nativity (Little Harbour, N.L. : Anglican)

  • Corporate body
  • 1939-1961

The re-settled community of Little Harbour is located at the entrance of Smith Sound, about 25 km from Trinity. Around 50 - 60 people lived in the community at the beginning of the 20th century, and by 1945 the population had risen to 158. The community was in the parish of Trinity. The first entry in the vestry register for The Church of England Church of the Holy Nativity at Little Harbour, is for Evensong, held on Feb. 20, 1931 with lay reader B. Burridge. The community was resettled under the provincial government resettlement program in the 1960s, by which time many residents had already left the community. The church officially closed on August 25, 1969.

Source: Church of the Holy Nativity (Little Harbour) fonds; Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Churchmen's Club (Trinity, N.L.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-1950

The Churchmen’s Club at Trinity was established in the 1920s. The club was open to confirmed male members of the church over 16 years of age, who were approved by other members. After the first few years the club was open to all denominations. The clubroom was in the Parish Hall. It was open most evenings and members gathered for cards, darts, billiards and other activities. They also organized tournaments with other clubs in the area. One night per week the club was rented to the Ladies Club. The club remained active until the 1970s.

Source: Churchmen’s Club minute book and rules and regulations.

St. Matthew's School, Trouty

  • Corporate body
  • 1912/13-[196-]

The first school was established at Trouty by the mid-19th century. Under the Trinity Church of England Board of Education a new school was built in 1912-13. In 1957 this school, in turn, was replaced with a new school, built close to the same site. Up to the mid-1950s the school had students in all grades up to grade 11. After 1965 there was a sharp decline in the school age population, and the highest grade taught was grade 7. High school students were bussed to a larger school in the area. The school closed in the late 1960s.

Source: St. Matthews School, Trouty fonds; Board of Education, Trinity fonds; Clarence Dewling.

Results 51 to 60 of 1086