Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
All Hallows Parish, located in the community of North River, Conception Bay, was established in 1906. Initially settled by fishermen of Irish descent, North River gradually expanded until, by 1840, there were enough settlers to merit a Roman Catholic school. By 1874 All Hallows Roman Catholic Church was built and was part of Brigus Parish. All Hallows Parish was established in the fall of 1906, with Reverend Stephen J. Whelan as the first resident parish priest. During his tenure a new church was started at North River and Bay Roberts, and several school chapels were constructed in other parts of the parish.
Schools formed an integral component of All Hallows Parish parochial organization. Over the decades schools, school halls and churches were built or renovated in the communities of the parish, including the construction of a convent for the Sisters of Mercy under the supervision of Reverend Joseph P. Hogan. During the tenure of Reverend Leonard Kelly, a new modern high school was constructed at Brigus to serve the two parishes of Brigus and North River.
The parish is composed of the following communities: Makinsons, South River, Clarke's Beach, Hallstown, Bay Roberts, Shearstown-Butlerville and North River. Currently, North River has missions in Bay Roberts (Holy Redeemer Church) and in Butlerville (in a school chapel).
Pastors that have served All Hallows since its inception in 1906 include: Stephen J. Whelan (1906-1923); George Tibeault (1923-1934); Michael Dinn (1934-1955); Joseph P. Hogan (1955-1971); Leonard Kelly (1971-1977); Frederick Terry (1977-1984); Richard T. Woodford (1984); Edward A. Walsh (1985-1997); William Houlahan (1997- )
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion