Amalgamated School fonds

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Amalgamated School fonds

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1949-2006

History

The Amalgamated School, Bay Roberts opened in January 1949. The school had an enrollment of 225 Anglican and United Church pupils. It replaced the United Methodist Church School (Snowden Hall) and the Church of England School (St. Matthew’s Hall). Premier J.R. Smallwood officially opened it. The exterior was built entirely of concrete blocks manufactured by Dawe’s Dunbrick, Clarke’s Beach and was constructed by Chester Dawe Ltd., St. John’s. The Premier told the people that their combined effort in raising the magnificent school was a credit, not only to themselves, but to the whole of Newfoundland. Eventually, the schools in Mercer’s Cove and French’s Cove closed and those students attended Amalgamated. In 1991, a new school was built and pupils from Georgetown to Bay Roberts attended. Thus, the old Amalgamated School closed. It has since been demolished. Initially the school had its own board. Later under consolidation, it came under the Avalon North Integrated Board and more recently the Eastern School District.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places