Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Church Women (A.C.W.), St. Matthew’s (Trouty) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Church of England Women's Association (Trouty, N.L.)
Physical description area
16 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Church of England Women’s Association (C.E.W.A.) was founded in 1876 at Heart’s Content by the Rev. George Gardiner. The C.E.W.A. endeavoured to promote and extend Christian unity and fellowship at home and overseas by attending to the spiritual, educational and physical needs of its followers.
The C.E.W.A. also assisted in missionary enterprises, orphanages, senior citizen’s homes, medical clinics and the erection of churches and schools in the Province.
St. Matthew’s branch of the C.E.W.A. was founded on December 7, 1932 (before that there existed a ‘sewing circle’) when a delegation of sisters from St. John the Evangelist C.E.W.A. from New Bonaventure came along to assist the Spiritual Director, the late Rev. (later Canon) Harvey Torraville in setting up the new Association.
In 1967 the C.E.W.A. became the Anglican Women’s Association (A.W.A.) with approximately 200 branches and 7000 members in the Province. In 1969 the A.W.A., the Women’s Association (W.A.) Parish Guilds and Alter Guilds merged to become the Anglican Church Women’s Association (A.C.W.A.).
After the restructuring of the Anglican Church in Newfoundland in 1976 the word “association” was dropped by the three new Dioceses. The A.C.W., corresponding to the Diocesan boundaries of the Anglican Church in Newfoundland, is divided into three sectors.
St. Matthew’s Branch of the A. C. W. closed in January of 2003 because of a lack of members.
Upon the closure of the ACW at Trouty the records were given to the Archives of the Trinity Historical Society for safe keeping.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes and attendance records of the ACWA - ACW meetings 1969-2004; accounts 1968-2004; listings of goods given out for sales 1968-2003; receipt books 1965-2003; roll call 1973-2003; correspondence; certificates; annual reports; miscellaneous; the ACW flag.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by a minute of the last meeting of St. Matthew’s, Trouty, ACW 2004.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - August 26, 2013
Language of description