Fonds - Anglican Parish of Bonavista fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of Bonavista fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on documentation in the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1786-1835 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of Bonavista (Bonavista, N.L. : Anglican)

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1736-)

Administrative history

In 1723, Rev. Henry Jones was appointed the first residing clergyman in Bonavista, three years later he established the first school in Newfoundland. In 1736, the first Anglican Church was built and during his first eight years he baptized 119 people.

In 1740, Rev. W. Peasley was appointed Rector of the Parish. After his departure in 1744 there was no resident clergyman at Bonavista for the next seventy years and services were carried out by three devoted laymen: Abraham Ackerman, Thomas Gaylor and Dr. Clinch.

The second church was built by a Mr. Joseph Brown at his own expense in the year 1822 and the third church was built during the ministry of Rev. A. E. C. Bayley in 1862, the fourth church in 1931 and the present church during the ministry of Rev. Charles Green.

Custodial history

The custodianship of the records is not known. It is speculated that the records of marriage for this time period were recorded at Trinity, as according to the Marriage Act that is included with this record the clergyman in Bonavista would have to report any marriages in his parish to the clergyman in Trinity in order that they be recorded in accordance with the Act.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of photocopies of baptisms, marriages and burials for the Parish of Bonavista, 1786 - 1834 and an original register of marriages for a variety of churches on the Bonavista Peninsula, mostly from the Bonavista Bay area, 1825 - 1835. The first part of the record contains a handwritten note on the Marriage Act as passed by Parliament in the Fifth year of George IV, Chapter LXVIII, Section VI. According to the law anyone performing a marriage after March 25, 1825 is supposed to deliver to either the Secretary of the Governor or to the incumbent or officiating minister of some church or chapel of the established church of England in the towns of St. John’s, Harbour Grace or Trinity a certificate of marriage. This is then to be entered into a marriage register and is to be kept at that site.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Original records held in Church Records Box 15.

Availability of other formats

The photocopies have been placed in protective sleeves and are located in a black binder

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - August 21, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres