Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Parish of Harbour Grace
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first Church of England was built in Harbour Grace in 1764 with the establishment of a mission to the community. The cornerstone for the present St. Paul's church was laid by Governor Prescott on August 28, 1835 on the same site as the 1764 church. It was then consecrated by Bishop Spencer on the 4th of July, 1840.
The first concrete evidence that St. Peter's congregation had been formed can be found in 1872. Baptismal records show baptisms for residents in that year. Parish records also show names of communicants from Harbour Grace South starting in December 25, 1872.
A St. Peter's Church for Harbour Grace South Anglicans was constructed between 1872-1875. At a special meeting held on May 17, 1906 collectors for the "new church" fund were appointed for different harbours of "THE LABRADOR" as follows: Carpoon - Thos. H. Sheppard; Fishing Ships - Clem Sheppard & Martin George ; Tub Harbour - James & Josiah Yetman; Seal Islands - Lymen & John Noel; Webbers Harbour - Alex Sheppard & Eliezer Noel; Shoal Tickle - Mark Sheppard; Shoal Bay Islands - Victor Sheppard and Leander Noel; Grady - Jonathan Sheppard; Sandy Islands - Moses Yetman
In 1925 St. Paul's and St. Peter's became one parish.