Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Parish of Labrador West
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first recorded Anglican service held in the area of Labrador West was conducted by the Rev’d A. L. Salt on July 5, 1958 at Base Camp, Wabush. In July 1960, Archdeacon Norman reported to Bishop Meaden that during a visit to Carol Lake, he "found the Anglicans organized for regular Sunday worship, conducted by Lay Readers." These Lay Readers were H.Raynes, Paul Thoms, and Chesley Gill. Visiting clergy occasionally came to celebrate Eucharist. The following year, Bishop Seaborn visited the area and conducted the first local service of confirmation on March 24 with four candidates.
Archdeacon Norman returned for Christmas services in 1961 and during his visit he held a congregational meeting to plan and organize a vestry. The people were at that time erecting a building to serve as a place of worship with plans to eventually use it as a rectory. In 1962 the first permanent clergy was appointed: the Rev’d Leonard Whitten arrived to take up residence and conduct services in the new building, becoming the first Rector of what was then the Mission of Labrador West.
The Anglican and United congregations of Labrador West joined their efforts to erect a joint church on Hudson Drive to be named St. Paul’s Anglican and Carol United. On December 15,1968 this building was dedicated and the first Eucharist celebrated there. In 1974, St. Peter’s Church was built on Whiteway Street in Wabush. It was officially opened on October 20, 1974 by Bishop W. G. Legge. It was later extended and then consecrated by Bishop Martin Mate on October 4, 1981.