Anglican Parish of Lake Melville

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Anglican Parish of Lake Melville

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Parish of Happy Valley

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1957 -

History

The Parish of Lake Melville (or the Parish of Happy Valley as it was originally known) was established in 1957. Prior to this the people who lived in the area were served by the priest from the Parish of Cartwright on his bi-yearly trips up the Labrador coast. Deacon Chloe Adams came to serve the people in December of 1956, and then the first rector was appointed, the Rev. Stewart Payne, in 1957. The church and rectory in Happy Valley were built by the residents, with the cornerstone of St. Andrew's church being laid in August of 1959 and the finished building being dedicated in November of the same year. Since that time St. Andrew's has been the main point of the parish, which also included Northwest River and, at times, Rigolet.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places