Zona de identificação
tipo de entidade
Forma autorizada do nome
Anglican Parish of Pouch Cove and Torbay
Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome
Forma normalizada do nome de acordo com outras regras
Outra(s) forma(s) de nome
identificadores para entidades coletivas
área de descrição
Datas de existência
From 1787 to 1839, Newfoundland was part of the diocese of Nova Scotia and when Bishop John Inglis of Nova Scotia first visited Newfoundland in 1827, he consecrated eighteen churches around the island, including the first Church at Torbay. This Church served the people of Torbay until 1926 when the cornerstone was laid for the present Church of St. Nicholas.
In 1832, Bishop Inglis again returned to Newfoundland mainly to visit the S.P.G. Schools and it was during this visit on July 7, 1832 that he consecrated the first Anglican Church in Pouch Cove which was named in honour of St. Thomas. This Church was destroyed by fire on January 22, 1882 and plans were made to erect a new building. From the evidence available the cornerstone was laid on All Saints Day, November 1, 1882 and to commemorate this fact, the new Church was named All Saints.
Prior to the appointment of Rev. T.G. Netten as Rector with responsibilities for Pouch Cove and Torbay on April 22, 1900 it seems that services were conducted by lay readers, clergy from St. John's parishes and those appointed in charge of the St. John's outport mission. The Parish formally came in being on March 1, 1923 at a joint meeting of Parishioners from Torbay and Pouch Cove when it was decided to elect a Parish Council.