Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1963 -

History

St. Augustine’s parish was established as a result of the post-war housing boom in St. John’s. In the mid-1950s the Anglican School Board of St. John’s had constructed an elementary school, Brinton Memorial, in the newly developed Churchill Park residential area. The nearest parish to Churchill Park was the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist in downtown St. John’s. By early 1957 arrangements had been made for a Sunday school to be held at Brinton Memorial, which was more readily accessible on foot. An extract from the Cathedral Vestry minutes of March 6, 1957 indicates that a Sunday school was already in place and that plans were being made to hold regular church services at Brinton during Lent. An unfinished room at the school was completed for use as a chapel and dedicated on January 6, 1958 by Bishop Meadon as the Chapel of the Epiphany. Regular Sunday services were conducted from that date, and by April 1959 an Altar Guild had been established to serve the new chapel.
The Mission Parish of St. Augustine was established in 1963. The first service in the newly constituted parish was held on August 4, and on September 17 the new parish officially came into being with the first parish meeting.
Meetings and services for the Mission Parish of St. Augustine’s continued to be held in Brinton Memorial School, first in the basement chapel and then in a new auditorium constructed for the purpose and opened in 1965. Meanwhile, negotiations for a permanent home for the congregation continued, culminating in the acquisition of a parcel of land on Elizabeth Avenue. Construction of the new church began in June of 1968 and the building was dedicated on March 2 1969. According to Synod regulations, construction debts on the church building had to be paid before it could be consecrated: this was accomplished and St. Augustine’s was consecrated on May 31, 1981.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places