Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Zone d'identification

Type d'entité

Collectivité

Forme autorisée du nom

Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités

Zone de description

Dates d'existence

1963 -

Historique

St. Augustine’s parish was established as a result of the post-war housing boom in St. John’s. In the mid-1950s the Anglican School Board of St. John’s had constructed an elementary school, Brinton Memorial, in the newly developed Churchill Park residential area. The nearest parish to Churchill Park was the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist in downtown St. John’s. By early 1957 arrangements had been made for a Sunday school to be held at Brinton Memorial, which was more readily accessible on foot. An extract from the Cathedral Vestry minutes of March 6, 1957 indicates that a Sunday school was already in place and that plans were being made to hold regular church services at Brinton during Lent. An unfinished room at the school was completed for use as a chapel and dedicated on January 6, 1958 by Bishop Meadon as the Chapel of the Epiphany. Regular Sunday services were conducted from that date, and by April 1959 an Altar Guild had been established to serve the new chapel.
The Mission Parish of St. Augustine was established in 1963. The first service in the newly constituted parish was held on August 4, and on September 17 the new parish officially came into being with the first parish meeting.
Meetings and services for the Mission Parish of St. Augustine’s continued to be held in Brinton Memorial School, first in the basement chapel and then in a new auditorium constructed for the purpose and opened in 1965. Meanwhile, negotiations for a permanent home for the congregation continued, culminating in the acquisition of a parcel of land on Elizabeth Avenue. Construction of the new church began in June of 1968 and the building was dedicated on March 2 1969. According to Synod regulations, construction debts on the church building had to be paid before it could be consecrated: this was accomplished and St. Augustine’s was consecrated on May 31, 1981.

Lieux

Statut juridique

Fonctions et activités

Textes de référence

Organisation interne/Généalogie

Contexte général

Zone des relations

Zone des points d'accès

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Occupations

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la notice d'autorité

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Notes relatives à la mise à jour de la notice

  • Presse-papier

  • Exporter

  • EAC

Sujets associés

Lieux associés