Fonds - Anglican Parish of Trinity. Board of Education fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of Trinity. Board of Education fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance
  • Variations in title: Also known as Trinity Church of England Board of Education fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1898-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of Trinity. Board of Education

Physical description area

Physical description

9 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1898-1958)

Administrative history

The Trinity Church of England School Board was formed c.1883, for the purpose of administering the schools of the Parish of Trinity. Schools which came under the jurisdiction of the Board were at Trinity, Lockston, Goose Cove, Dunfield, Trouty, Spaniard’s Cove, Old Bonaventure, New Bonaventure, Kerley’s Harbour, British Harbour, Delby’s Cove and Little
Harbour, Ireland’s Eye and Traytown and Ivanhoe.

School Boards were established as a result of the Education Act of 1876 which stated that schools would be administered by local denominational boards under the supervision of superintendents. The 1876 Act consolidated previous legislation, under which the government’s education grant was divided equally between the Protestant and Roman Catholic church for the administration of schools. Denominational education was entrenched under Term 17 of the Terms of Union in 1949, which confirmed the right of Churches to own and operate their own schools.

The school boards came directly under the Parish, the rector serving as chair of the Board for the parish. The Boards were responsible for organizing elementary education within their district. They built and maintained the school buildings, hired the teachers, maintained the accounts, conducted regular meetings, and made regular reports to the superintendent.

From 1962 to 1969 Trinity and Trinity East - Port Rexton Boards were combined and came under one administration. In 1969 all the Protestant denominations in Newfoundland amalgamated, reducing the number of boards from 229 to 22. The school board for the whole region has since been headquartered in Clarenville.

Source: Minutes of the board; Newfoundland Education Act 1876; Trinity-Port Rexton Board of Education Minutes.

Custodial history

These records were kept and maintained at the rectory of the parish of Trinity.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of an account book, 1898-1949, and minutes of the meetings of the board from 1903-1958.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Rev. G. Colbourne, rector of the parish of Trinity, July 2000.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright status and clearance.

Finding aids

No finding aid available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 18, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area