Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Parish of Trinity fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on description
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Anglican Parish of Trinity
Physical description area
41 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Anglican Mission at Trinity dates back to the early 18th century. In 1729, at the request of the
people of Trinity and surrounding areas, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign
Parts sent The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick to establish a mission at Trinity. A church was built soon
after his arrival. The records of births, marriages and burials of the parish began in 1753 and
included communities throughout Trinity Bay. In 1825 Newfoundland became part of the See of
Nova Scotia and in 1839 Bishop Spencer became the first Bishop of the See of Newfoundland. In
the early 1870s the parish of Trinity included communities from English Harbour to British Harbour
including Ireland’s Eye, but by the middle of the decade, a separate parish was established at Trinity
East. Many of the communities that made up the parish were resettled under the provincial
government resettlement program of the 1960s. In 1971 the parish of Trinity combined with the
parish of Trinity East-Port Rexton. This arrangement lasted for a decade and in 1981 the parishes
separated along traditional lines. From 1981 to the present time the parish of Trinity has included
all the communities from Trinity to New Bonaventure.
Records were held at the rectory of the parish of Trinity.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of early and more recent records of the parish. The early records include a parish list for 1878, a list of persons confirmed in the parish, from 1882-1888; annual reports of the St. Agatha's Branch of the Girls' Friendly Society to 1907; offerings from the Trinity Mission, 1904-1912 and 1923-1926, subscribers list 1924. For the mid-20th century records include minute books of the parish council, 1946-1971, parish list, 1943-1947; accounts and rector's stipend, 1945-1962; members of the parish council 1947; correspondence from the Central Diocese for the period 1971-1981, when the parish was combined with that of Trinity East-Port Rexton. The fonds also includes photocopies of the registers of births, marriages and burials for the parish, 1757-1867.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Rev. G. Colbourne, rector of the parish of Trinity, 2000.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original registers of the parish are held at the Office of the Eastern Diocese in St. John's.
Availability of other formats
Copies are available at the The Rooms Provincial Archives Division.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Some of the material in this fonds may be protected by copyright. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright clearance, when appropriate.
A nominal index to the parish registers, compiled by the Family History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, is available.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 16, 2013
Language of description