Fonds - Archdeacon Kyran Walsh fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Archdeacon Kyran Walsh fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of fonds.

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1809, 1839-1868 (Creation)
    Walsh, Kyran

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Kyran Walsh (1809-1868), Catholic priest, was born at Mencken, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in September 1809. Walsh died at Conception Bay on 4 September 1868 and is buried in the parish cemetery at Harbour Main. Walsh was an uncle of Revs. Michael and John Walsh who also served in Newfoundland.

Walsh was educated in the schools of his home parish and pursued his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary College, Waterford. Following completion of his course of studies in philosophy and theology, Walsh was invited by Michael Anthony Fleming, bishop of St. John's, to serve in Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest on 25 August 1839 by Bishop Fleming in the Presentation Convent Chapel, Cathedral Square, St. John's.

Rev. Walsh's first appointment was in the old Cathedral Parish, St. John's. Shortly after Rev. Walsh's arrival, Bishop Fleming decided to construct a new cathedral in the city. In preparation for this extensive project, Rev. Walsh supervised the gathering of the stone for the Cathedral. He also travelled in the United States collecting funds for the construction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1840-42).

Rev. Walsh also introduced Newfoundland Catholics to the Irish temperance movement founded in Cork in April 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew. His efforts resulted in the establishment of the Newfoundland Temperance Society (and its successor organizations, the Total Abstinence Society and the Total Abstinence and Temperance Society). By 1850 the Total Abstinence Society, under its president Father Walsh, had branches in several communities including Torbay, Harbour Main, Brigus and Harbour Grace.

In 1850 Rev. Walsh was appointed parish priest of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay. Shortly afterwards Bishop Fleming recalled him to St. John's to continue his invaluable work on the construction of the Cathedral (1850-1857). Rev. Kyran Walsh also served as Vicar General to Bishop Fleming for several years.

In 1857 Fleming's successor, Bishop John Thomas Mullock appointed Rev. Walsh as the first parish priest of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish, Harbour Main, where he remained until his death in 1868.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records related to Archdeacon Kyran Walsh including canonical documents of ordination and appointment. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

    Language and script note

    All canonical documents are in Latin. Translation is available.

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    No restrictions.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    File list available.

    Associated materials

    Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming fonds

    Related materials


    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Institution identifier

    Rules or conventions



    Level of detail


    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Created - April 16, 2013

    Language of description

      Script of description


        Accession area