Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, N.L.) fonds
Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
- Document graphique
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Variations de titre: St. Mary's Parish
- Source du titre propre: Title based on correspondence in the fonds
Niveau de description
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
- Assumption Parish (Roman Catholic), St. Mary's (NL)
Zone de description matérielle
17 cm of textual records
1 photograph: b&w
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
Assumption Parish was established in 1834 and included the communities from Portugal Cove South to St. Vincents. However, Assumption Parish was divided twice. When Holy Redeemer Parish was established (ca. 1845), Portugal Cove South, Trepassey and St. Shotts were separated from Assumption Parish. In 1923, the communities of Peter's River, St. Stephen's, and St. Vincent's were removed from Assumption Parish to create Sacred Heart Parish. Assumption Parish currently includes the communities of Riverhead, Mall Bay, Coot's Pond, Path End, St. Mary's, Point La Haye and Gaskiers, with the parish church at St. Mary's.
The first parish priest assigned to Assumption Parish was Rev. James Duffy. However, priests visited St. Mary's prior to Father Duffy's arrival. Rev. Timothy Browne, for instance, who was stationed at Renews, performed 13 marriages at St. Mary's in 1825 and 1826.
By 1840 Rev. Duffy had established a church and school in St. Mary's; this church was dismantled in 1949 and rebuilt by 1950. Aside from the original school established by Rev. Duffy, a commercial school was opened in 1851. With the arrival of the Presentation Sisters to the parish in 1859, a convent school was established at St. Mary's.
Some of the communities in Assumption Parish also had their own church and school, including Riverhead and Mall Bay, which had a small chapel built sometime between 1895 and 1905 (replaced ca. 1963). Schools were also established in Mall Bay (1944), at the Gulch, Point La Haye (1943) and Gaskiers and Point La Haye (1951).
Parochial organizations in Assumption Parish included the Crusaders of Mary, the Children of Mary, the St. Anne Society and the Holy Name Society.
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of sacramental ledgers, including baptismal registers (1843-1948), illegitimates baptismal register (1901-47), marriage registers (1844-98) and death registers (1891-97, 1927-75). The fonds also includes financial statements (1915-30); documents related to parish property and buildings (1955-78); correspondence (1951-79); parish documents (1891, 1915-19); and parish boundaries (1985). There are also addresses prepared for the Bishop's visits (1951, 1961); one photograph and related records.
Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
The immediate source of the fonds is Assumption Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Note de langue et graphie
English predominates. Some Latin documents included. No transcripts.
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
The following registers have been photocopied: St. Mary's baptismal registers (1843-1948); St. Mary's illegitimates baptismal register (1901-48); St. Mary's marriage register (1844-90); and St. Mary's death register (1891-97).
Restrictions on access apply. Consult the archivist.
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Researchers are required to use the photocopied registers for conservation reasons.
Instruments de recherche
Box list available
See Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Assumption Parish. As well, see Holy Redeemer Parish fonds and Sacred Heart Parish fonds for records on communities that were once part of Holy Trinity Parish.
Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.
Zone du numéro normalisé
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle
Identifiant de la description du document
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles ou conventions
Niveau de détail
Dates de production, de révision et de suppression
Created - May 27, 2013
Langue de la description