Fundo - Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, N.L.) fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, N.L.) fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Documento textual
  • Material gráfico

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Variations in title: St. Mary's Parish
  • Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1843-1985 (Produção)
    Produtor
    Assumption Parish (Roman Catholic), St. Mary's (NL)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

17 cm of textual records
1 photograph: b&w

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1834-)

História administrativa

Assumption Parish was established in 1834 and included the communities from Portugal Cove South to St. Vincents. However, Assumption Parish was divided twice. When Holy Redeemer Parish was established (ca. 1845), Portugal Cove South, Trepassey and St. Shotts were separated from Assumption Parish. In 1923, the communities of Peter's River, St. Stephen's, and St. Vincent's were removed from Assumption Parish to create Sacred Heart Parish. Assumption Parish currently includes the communities of Riverhead, Mall Bay, Coot's Pond, Path End, St. Mary's, Point La Haye and Gaskiers, with the parish church at St. Mary's.

The first parish priest assigned to Assumption Parish was Rev. James Duffy. However, priests visited St. Mary's prior to Father Duffy's arrival. Rev. Timothy Browne, for instance, who was stationed at Renews, performed 13 marriages at St. Mary's in 1825 and 1826.

By 1840 Rev. Duffy had established a church and school in St. Mary's; this church was dismantled in 1949 and rebuilt by 1950. Aside from the original school established by Rev. Duffy, a commercial school was opened in 1851. With the arrival of the Presentation Sisters to the parish in 1859, a convent school was established at St. Mary's.

Some of the communities in Assumption Parish also had their own church and school, including Riverhead and Mall Bay, which had a small chapel built sometime between 1895 and 1905 (replaced ca. 1963). Schools were also established in Mall Bay (1944), at the Gulch, Point La Haye (1943) and Gaskiers and Point La Haye (1951).

Parochial organizations in Assumption Parish included the Crusaders of Mary, the Children of Mary, the St. Anne Society and the Holy Name Society.

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of sacramental ledgers, including baptismal registers (1843-1948), illegitimates baptismal register (1901-47), marriage registers (1844-98) and death registers (1891-97, 1927-75). The fonds also includes financial statements (1915-30); documents related to parish property and buildings (1955-78); correspondence (1951-79); parish documents (1891, 1915-19); and parish boundaries (1985). There are also addresses prepared for the Bishop's visits (1951, 1961); one photograph and related records.

Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

The immediate source of the fonds is Assumption Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês
  • latim

Script do material

Nota ao idioma e script

English predominates. Some Latin documents included. No transcripts.

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

The following registers have been photocopied: St. Mary's baptismal registers (1843-1948); St. Mary's illegitimates baptismal register (1901-48); St. Mary's marriage register (1844-90); and St. Mary's death register (1891-97).

Restrições de acesso

Restrictions on access apply. Consult the archivist.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Researchers are required to use the photocopied registers for conservation reasons.

Instrumentos de descrição

Box list available

Materiais associados

See Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Assumption Parish. As well, see Holy Redeemer Parish fonds and Sacred Heart Parish fonds for records on communities that were once part of Holy Trinity Parish.

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - May 27, 2013

Idioma da descrição

  • inglês

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados