Fonds - Bishop Thomas Joseph Power fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bishop Thomas Joseph Power fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of records

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1830-1893 (Creation)
    Creator
    Power, Thomas Joseph

Physical description area

Physical description

30 cm of textual records
50 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1830-1893)

Biographical history

Thomas Joseph Power (1830-1893), Catholic bishop, was born in New Ross, County Wexford, Ireland, on 10 December 1830. He died in St. John's on 4 December 1893.

Power left New Ross in 1843 to study philosophy and theology at Carlow College, Dublin (1843-47). After his graduation, he completed a Master of Arts degree at London University and studied for the priesthood at The Irish College, Rome. Following completion of his studies in 1854, he was ordained a priest in Rome by Archbishop Cullen. Shortly afterwards Rev. Power was assigned to the Dublin Mission (1854-59) and soon rose to the front rank of the Dublin clergy. From 1859-70, he was President of Holy Cross College, Clonliffe. He was named a Canon of the Archdiocese of Dublin in 1863.

On 12 June 1870, Rev. Power was consecrated Bishop of St. John's in Rome, by Cardinal Cullen in the Chapel of the Irish College. He arrived in St. John's on 9 September 1870. During his episcopate he took a leading part in the activities of the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS). Bishop Power introduced the Christian Brothers into Newfoundland and expanded the work of the Mercy and the Presentation sisters to parishes outside St. John's. As well, he oversaw the construction of St. Patrick's Church, Mount St. Francis Monastery, St. Michael's Convent at Belvedere, and a church at Kilbride. He officially opened St. Bride's Academy, Littledale in 1884. Following his death, he was succeeded by Michael Francis Howley.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of baptismal certificate, graduation certificates, letters of appointment, pastorals (1870-1893); diaries (1870-1886); family scrapbook, photograph albums, testimonials from Holy Cross College professors; correspondence, including letters about Orange Society disturbances (1878) and his relationship with the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS); and a copy of his last will and testament. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script note

All canonical documents are in Latin.

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Bishop John Thomas Mullock fonds; Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 15, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area