Title and statement of responsibility area
Bishop Thomas Joseph Power fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of records
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Power, Thomas Joseph
30 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Thomas Joseph Power (1830-1893), Catholic bishop, was born in New Ross, County Wexford, Ireland, on 10 December 1830. He died in St. John's on 4 December 1893.
Power left New Ross in 1843 to study philosophy and theology at Carlow College, Dublin (1843-47). After his graduation, he completed a Master of Arts degree at London University and studied for the priesthood at The Irish College, Rome. Following completion of his studies in 1854, he was ordained a priest in Rome by Archbishop Cullen. Shortly afterwards Rev. Power was assigned to the Dublin Mission (1854-59) and soon rose to the front rank of the Dublin clergy. From 1859-70, he was President of Holy Cross College, Clonliffe. He was named a Canon of the Archdiocese of Dublin in 1863.
On 12 June 1870, Rev. Power was consecrated Bishop of St. John's in Rome, by Cardinal Cullen in the Chapel of the Irish College. He arrived in St. John's on 9 September 1870. During his episcopate he took a leading part in the activities of the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS). Bishop Power introduced the Christian Brothers into Newfoundland and expanded the work of the Mercy and the Presentation sisters to parishes outside St. John's. As well, he oversaw the construction of St. Patrick's Church, Mount St. Francis Monastery, St. Michael's Convent at Belvedere, and a church at Kilbride. He officially opened St. Bride's Academy, Littledale in 1884. Following his death, he was succeeded by Michael Francis Howley.
Bereik en inhoud
Fonds consists of baptismal certificate, graduation certificates, letters of appointment, pastorals (1870-1893); diaries (1870-1886); family scrapbook, photograph albums, testimonials from Holy Cross College professors; correspondence, including letters about Orange Society disturbances (1878) and his relationship with the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS); and a copy of his last will and testament. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Taal en schrift aantekening
All canonical documents are in Latin.
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
File list available
Bishop John Thomas Mullock fonds; Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds.
Standard number area
- Benevolent Irish Society (St. John's, N.L.) (Onderwerp)
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Created - May 15, 2013
Taal van de beschrijving